Greg Johnson passed away

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
My condolences to his family and friends, as well as Preds fans.

I was born in 1990 and mostly remember Johnson from the early 2000's NHL games, though he did still play when my hockey interest truly blossomed after the lockout. It was only a couple of months ago I checked his EP page for some reason. Sad news. RIP.

Also talked with Tomas Holmstrom this morning. He's been away fishing and had yet to hear the sad news when I called him.

A few short quotes:

"I don't know what to say, it's a chock getting these news from the newspaper calling".

"It's been a long time since I played with him, but he was a great guy".

"He was a good player with nice skating ability and really good speed".

Reactions: Adz

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Many of us resent the current expansion draft rules as compared to when the Preds were formed but we forget that those very rules ended up giving guys like Johnny a shot at being a regular NHL player that they may not have had if the current expansion rules were in place.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Who was it that Johnson convinced to come here? Was it Kariya?
Even before his Preds days, I was following the college circuit a lot more closely in those days and Johnson was really a hot item in college hockey. He really tore it up, and he must be at or near the top all-time scorers for UND. The other thing - and where Kariya comes in - is how he participated in the Canadian National team and participated in the Olympics in '94 in Lillehammer - I always was pretty attached to those Olympics years when the teams weren't "best on best" and those Olympics with the collection of guys with some prospects, some overlooked guys, some journeymen committed to Canada's national team - that was probably the last year I really got into the Olympics. Johnson played a huge role in the gold medal game - he was a shooter in the final and Forsberg's team beat them. But it was definitely one of the most epic Olympics for me personally, right at my peak of really being "all-in" to all kinds of hockey at all levels.

RIP#22.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wish I could have known more about him; I frankly didn't know who the guy was as his tenure here predates my following the Preds. But from what I can see he was one of the good ones, and I hate it when I miss those. May his memory be a blessing.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Another victim of CTE it looks like. A damn shame.

Was it CTE ... or the high stress job ... or the house not selling ... his wife thinking he was anti-gun although he owned one for over two years .... or any one of a million possible things that could have combined to drive him to this act? Rarely is the cause of suicide a simplistic thing.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
That's awful.

Please, please, if you are suffering from anything or feel like you need help, don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask.
I have been There in my life before it’s a rough thing to lose that much hope. When it seems like everyone is against you and there is no one to support you, depression becomes something you can’t control. Add in alcohol and it becomes too much. Fortunately for me I don’t own a gun so the “easy” path was not available. I tried to drink myself to death and passed out and woke a few hours later. I have also tried to hang myself before being stopped. Having my wife and daughter around now is keeping my happy and I avoid the rough times. They used to leave for 2 months during the summer and stay with my in-laws in Florida (my in-laws have moved back to TN now) I was alone and depressed, so They no longer leave for a long periods like that now. Everytime I hear the word Suicide I cringe and it takes me back. I used to spend an unhealthy amount of time on here because I was lonely and I helped me to interact with people. I know I got blocked by some on here for being a jerk but I was intoxicated and/or depressed at that time.

Fact is with Suicide you never know what someone is going through in their mind and why they make that choice. For Johnson it was probably a quick thing, something happened and he made a choice that he would not have made 5 minutes later. Always seek help when you get to that point because when you relax and back down from your decision, you realize how close you came to ending your life and ruining your loved ones also.

Last edited:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I have been There in my life before it’s a rough thing to lose that much hope. When it seems like everyone is against you and there is no one to support you, depression becomes something you can’t control. Add in alcohol and it becomes too much. Fortunately for me I don’t own a gun so the “easy” path was not available. I tried to drink myself to death and passed out and woke a few hours later. I have also tried to hang myself before being stopped. Having my wife and daughter around now is keeping my happy and I avoid the rough times. They used to leave for 2 months during the summer and stay with my in-laws in Florida (my in-laws have moved back to TN now) I was alone and depressed, so They no longer leave for a long periods like that now. Everytime I hear the word Suicide I cringe and it takes me back. I used to spend an unhealthy amount of time on here because I was lonely and I helped me to interact with people. I know I got blocked by some on here for being a jerk but I was intoxicated and/or depressed at that time.
we enjoy your company friend

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Sorry to hear that @Gnashville but I'm glad things seem to be better. I've had a good friend go through a terrible situation that involved surveillance and I myself have gone through severe depression and substance abuse but I guess because death is my biggest fear it never escalated. I can only hope the best for people at this point. I want everyone to be happy.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I was never suicidal but I was very depressed about 20 years ago. I wasn't diagnosed as such but that's what it was. I felt like I was in a hole that I could never crawl out of but I did. Took a lot of work. I had already climbed out of it by the time I joined these boards so you didn't "know" me then. But I feel confident that the friendships I've made here would have pulled me through. If you ever need an ear, you're only a PM away.

Reactions: sparkle twin

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I'm glad things are better, or getting better, for all of you. :heart:

I have never experienced depression or anything like that myself and I will never pretend to know what anyone is going through, but suicide has impacted my family. That's why I stress so much the importance of asking for help.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Fact is with Suicide you never know what someone is going through in their mind and why they make that choice. For Johnson it was probably a quick thing, something happened and he made a choice that he would not have made 5 minutes later. Always seek help when you get to that point because when you relax and back down from your decision, you realize how close you came to ending your life and ruining your loved ones also.

The bolded is the point I cant seem to get some the rabid 2A folks I know to understand. Suicidal impulses that are strong enough to act on can be fleeting. But if you have a handgun available when it hits you, you may not get a chance to reconsider. Or you may end up like the many patients I've seen over the years who blinded themselves or blew off half their face. And its crucially important to not have a gun where a teen can access it.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I saw an interview with one of the very few survivors of a failed attempt at suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate bridge. He said as soon as he went over the rail, the only thing he could think of was "oh no, what have I done"

There's no situation in life that we can't push through, there's always another way.

Reactions: maplepred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad