Recalled/Assigned: Greening sent back to Bingo

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
THIS. I read that his agents structured it so that his dollar amount was just under the threshold and couldn't be bought out.

LINK:http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/08/04/senators-wont-buy-out-greening

He's $10k under the limit. Lol

This is only for the buyout period opened up by arbitration hearings. They could have bought him out during the standard period in June.

I've never understood their motives behind making this statement about his contract. I can only see a few options:

1. Spin. They never intended to buy him out/ownership wouldn't authorize buying him out so they just floated this story knowing many fans would never question it.

2. They don't understand the buyout rules? That seems unlikely.

3. They thought they'd be able to trade him for some reason.

4. Maybe they thought he'd earn a spot on the team. He had been very bad for such a long time though...

Weird situation.

WhiteLight*

its not like he deserves bad treatment? this guy is and was a not very good hockey player. ALOT of people could see that. not his fault murray just showered him with money. Yeah his agent probably used the 17goals as reason, but still. I don't feel any animosity to greening whatsoever. in fact, im proud of another human being for making a living. a good one. if murray came up to me and was like heres 2.5 a year for 3 years. I would say yes, and would expect no animosity from anyone for it. good for greening.

Greening used to be a good player. Ever since he signed this contract, his play went downhill. A little bit because of age? Fine. But he crashed and burned so quickly. Seems like he doesn't care - he cashed in and he's satisfied.

His attitude is disgusting. In interviews this summer and last year, he said his effort level was fine AND that he didn't need to change anything about his style of play. He said he's done enough to stay in the NHL and done enough to merit a chance to play.

For a "smart" guy, he's pretty stupid about the way he approaches the game. When asked about what he thinks he may need to change about his game or what he needs to work on, he said he just needed to keep working hard and do what he's been doing. Yeah, that's a great plan of action Colin. Very specific :sarcasm:. Not a student of the game all.

Cameron praised Hoffman last night for all his hard work. Cameron isn't perfect, but he does require his players put in a solid effort. He's demanding. Cameron clearly doesn't like Greening, so I suspect a work ethic issue. Ever since he signed his contract. Is that a coincidence? After he established himself and had a nice comfy contract, he thought he could get a free pass. This explains the way the Sens have been treating him.

So yeah, good riddance Colin.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Greening used to be a good player. Ever since he signed this contract, his play went downhill. A little bit because of age? Fine. But he crashed and burned so quickly. Seems like he doesn't care - he cashed in and he's satisfied.

His attitude is disgusting. In interviews this summer and last year, he said his effort level was fine AND that he didn't need to change anything about his style of play. He said he's done enough to stay in the NHL and done enough to merit a chance to play.

For a "smart" guy, he's pretty stupid about the way he approaches the game. When asked about what he thinks he may need to change about his game or what he needs to work on, he said he just needed to keep working hard and do what he's been doing. Yeah, that's a great plan of action Colin. Very specific :sarcasm:. Not a student of the game all.

Cameron praised Hoffman last night for all his hard work. Cameron isn't perfect, but he does require his players put in a solid effort. He's demanding. Cameron clearly doesn't like Greening, so I suspect a work ethic issue. Ever since he signed his contract. Is that a coincidence? After he established himself and had a nice comfy contract, he thought he could get a free pass. This explains the way the Sens have been treating him.

I have not noticed a single thing different with his game other than no spezza and no prime michalek on his line.

yea that's the answer that like 99% of players would give. if they say something else they run the risk of making their coaches angry

WhiteLight*

I have not noticed a single thing different with his game other than no spezza and no prime michalek on his line.

yea that's the answer that like 99% of players would give. if they say something else they run the risk of making their coaches angry

If you can't see the difference between 2015 Greening and 2011 - 2012 Greening, then I can't help you. There's a big difference

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Greening refused to play big. He's a very strong guy and puts in loads of work in the weight room so I doubt it's a work ethic issue with him. He just had a fundamental difference of opinion on what his role was with the team. This goes all the way back to when he was first down in Bingo and he stated that he wouldn't be a fighter just because he's a big strong guy and that if the team expected him to fight, they were mistaken.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If you can't see the difference between 2015 Greening and 2011 - 2012 Greening, then I can't help you. There's a big difference

take away the stat line and its the same guy. that year you could have put ALOT of players on that line and they would have gotten 17 goals.

WhiteLight*

take away the stat line and its the same guy. that year you could have put ALOT of players on that line and they would have gotten 17 goals.

Murray is of the opinion that 2012 Greening was worth 4 years of investment at 2.6 per and that now he's hot garbage and willing to PAY someone to take him off his hands. Not even worthy of a roster spot.

You don't go to 0.5 ppg NHL to 0.5 ppg AHL because of linemates.

Since 2013, Greening has in fact played some decent minutes with Turris, Ryan, Zibanejad, Michalek, and even Spezza before he ditched. Yet he was still trash and completely ineffective. How do you explain that? :dunno:

2012 Greening could easily have found a nice niche next to Pageau on line 3. They would have been solid. The guy is a 1/4 of the player he used to be

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
He comes across as the book smarts, not street smarts type of player... listening to him, you know he understands the game very well (almost sounds like a coach sometimes the way he breaks things down), but just can't translate that off-ice hockey IQ to practical, consistent on-ice performance.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
He's an embarassment. I can only assume he doesn't care about earning his salary. His attitude and profound lack of hockey IQ are toxic to the team.
Made me sick listening to his pseudo intellectual rationalizations on the radio the other day.
Just get rid of him already.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Greening makes too little to be bought out is the weirdest piece of misinformation that is constantly brought up by Sens fans even outside this forum.

That was only during the second buyout window prompted by arbitration. Any player can be bought out during the regular buyout period regardless of salary. Ottawa knowingly chose not to buy Greening out.

Ottawa also won both arb cases, so if they already chose not to buy out Greening, even if he made enough to qualify for a buyout during the second buyout period, there is not much reason to speculate that they would have done so.

Greening bought out saves Ottawa no money if he is the 13th or 14th NHL forward as it only saves about 1 million per year and that is roughly the cost of a replacement player. Maybe they opted not to buy him out because they expected him to be good enough to warm the press box and play 20-30 games at 6 minutes a night.

With him in the AHL for most of this season, a buyout would have saved them a million for each year left on the deal, but they'd have to pay the remaining four million over a 4 year term rather than paying 6 over a two year term.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
4 minutes of ice time and barely noticeable. I don't get it. Wouldn't someone in his position want to make a statement given the limited opportunities?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
So Zib will most likely play. That means we're still a F short unless someone else gets called up. I'd rather have Greening in the lineup than play short.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
It is possible someone is coming up as Bingo has added 4 forwards in the last few days

12/04/2015 Colin Greening (LW) Binghamton ADD Returned on loan from Ottawa (NHL)
12/04/2015 Ryan Penny (F) Binghamton ADD Recalled from loan to Evansville (ECHL)
12/03/2015 Kyle Flanagan (F) Binghamton ADD Signed to PTO
12/02/2015 Darian Dziurzynski (F) Binghamton ADD Signed to PTO

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I don't understand that why isn't he in the NHL. He is tailor-made to be a 4th line player. Big, strong, fast and possesses a lethal shot, as well.

No hockey sense, no dynamism. No creativity. No emotion. He could be a robot. Chiasson, Smith and Neil are not 4th line robots. And they are all vastly better then Greening is right now.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Greening does not have a poor attitude, nor is he lazy or not trying after having signed a large contract. He simply is not that good at hockey. Which must be devastating. Because trying harder, getting stronger... Whatever he has control over... Doesn't matter.... He simply is not really an NHL caliber player now.

Criticizing his character is pretty lame.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Why is he deemed "smart"?

I don't get it

All I see from him is bad decisions hockey wise

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

I don't get it

He has a degree with a 3.99 GPA from an Ivy League university. So he is smart. At school.

I think Pat Kane is about as smart as a brick... Outside a hockey rink. But he is smart at hockey.

Hockey smarts and actual smarts are different things.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I don't get it

He's a Cornell Grad, had a 4.0 GPA and was going to med school before deciding on hockey. He's an extremely intelligent human. He just doesn't have the ability to make decisions at NHL speed. That's a very different kind of 'smarts'.

Also, what he's doing is smart. He cashed in and now he's just coasting while collecting that pay check. He doesn't want to injure himself and endanger his quality of life. It shows a horrible work ethic and privilege but it is a smart life decision for him. He won't continue in hockey after this contract. I expect him to go off and become an even more wealthy man with his money and intelligence. Probably get involved with investments and banking would be my guess.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
I love Murray rushing to sign Greening to an extension a full year before his contract expired. Gotta make sure you lock up your talent!

*offers Jared Cowen an 8-year extension*
*takes Mike Hoffman to arbitration*

WhiteLight*

He's a Cornell Grad, had a 4.0 GPA and was going to med school before deciding on hockey. He's an extremely intelligent human. He just doesn't have the ability to make decisions at NHL speed. That's a very different kind of 'smarts'.

Also, what he's doing is smart. He cashed in and now he's just coasting while collecting that pay check. He doesn't want to injure himself and endanger his quality of life. It shows a horrible work ethic and privilege but it is a smart life decision for him. He won't continue in hockey after this contract. I expect him to go off and become an even more wealthy man with his money and intelligence. Probably get involved with investments and banking would be my guess.

I think Condra was the med school guy, but other than that, pretty much agree with this post. No sense destroying his body when the money is already guaranteed

WhiteLight*

Yeah. A big difference. A 6'3" difference that had 19 on his back.

So again, you're telling me Jason Spezza was 100% the reason why he had an NHL career? Without Spezza, he's just the career AHLer that he is now? Sorry, I don't buy it, and by saying this, you're disrespecting him more than I am.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I love Murray rushing to sign Greening to an extension a full year before his contract expired. Gotta make sure you lock up your talent!

*offers Jared Cowen an 8-year extension*
*takes Mike Hoffman to arbitration*

What a ridiculous thread this has become. He also signed guys like Turris and Karlsson to long term sweet heart deals. If we signed Hoffman to long term deal, who's to say he stays hungry and produces like he is now. It's a no win situation with you people. If he was signed and sucked, we'd hear "awww Murray hasn't learned from his mistakes!!!! GRRRRR".

But yes, what a terrible move by management to get a guy who could score 40 goals in at a 2M contract. Oh, the horror.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad