Recalled/Assigned: Greening sent back to Bingo

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
12/04/2015 Colin Greening (LW) Binghamton ADD Returned on loan from Ottawa (NHL)

Well that was quick. I'm not a Greening fan, but he only played 4 minutes. I was hoping he would get at least a decent shot.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Means someone's getting called up unless we're getting a few bodies back from IR no?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't understand why we couldn't have done this before the Chicago game. There was plenty of time.

Does Greening has a "guaranteed 1 game per year in the NHL" clause in his contract?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
:laugh:

What a pointless recall. It's almost like they forget how bad Greening is and need to be reminded on a periodic basis.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
Even if the Sens retain salary in a trade, I'm not sure that he is on any other team's radar after 4 mins... not much showcasing going on, and Bingo is a dumpster fire of a competitive team right now.

My guess is GMBM is waiting to buy out the rest of his salary in the off season.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
He never passed through waivers?

Implies emergency loan, didnt realize Ottawa was sitting below 18 players for a weeka nd a half

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
He never passed through waivers?

Implies emergency loan, didnt realize Ottawa was sitting below 18 players for a weeka nd a half

AFAIK, for injury purposes you can do an emergency recall without being below 18 on the roster. I mean if you're carrying 8D, doesn't mean you can't call up a RW to replace an injured RW.

Probably means someone should be back for Saturday.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Greenings cap hit 2.65M
Trade him with a pick + retain half = 1.325M
Other team can bury him in the minors and will only have to deal with Greenig taking 0.333 of their cap space and get a pick out of it.

Ottawa only has to pay Greening 1.325(actual of 1.600) for one more season which is far better than paying him an actual salary of 3.2M

I don't get why Murray doesn't take that approach instead when reporters ask him if retaining salary is a possibility he is always like thats a definitve no, no. Does he seriosly think he can get Greening completely off the books somehow?

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
AFAIK, for injury purposes you can do an emergency recall without being below 18 on the roster. I mean if you're carrying 8D, doesn't mean you can't call up a RW to replace an injured RW.

Probably means someone should be back for Saturday.

Yeah that is right, emergency loans are an option if the team has less than 12 available players, or 6 d

Injury (even if not on IR), illness, funerals etc are all valid reasons.

I knew our roster was hurting from injuries, but i wasn't aware we were below the 12 forwards.

Actually I'm not sure how he could be an emerg. loan if he was healthy scratched. hm

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Greenings cap hit 2.65M
Other team can bury him in the minors and will only have to deal with Greenig taking 0.333 of their cap space and get a pick out of it.

Ottawa only has to pay Greening 1.325(actual of 1.600) for one more season which is far better than paying him an actual salary of 3.2M

A 50% retain would be $1.325M on the teams cap hit as you specified, but the actual salary expenditure would be $1.6M for Melnyk.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
he sucks so bad lol.

probably the least competitive forward I've seen the past 2 years.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
A 50% retain would be $1.325M on the teams cap hit as you specified, but the actual salary expenditure would be $1.6M for Melnyk.

So would Melynk prefer to pay him an actual salary of 3.2M, or buy out that 3.2 million and pay it over time, than just pay half of it and get it over with?

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015
Greenings cap hit 2.65M

I don't get why Murray doesn't take that approach instead when reporters ask him if retaining salary is a possibility he is always like thats a definitve no, no. Does he seriosly think he can get Greening completely off the books somehow?

Why does Greening have to come off the books? We aren't at the cap so whats the point of this again? Besides giving someone a free pick or prospect?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think it might be time to cut our ties on Greening.

I don't think they still have hope about Greening. But apparently, the Sens don't want to buy out his contract. Maybe they have more detailed calculations that prevent them to do that, I dunno, I haven't really checked. Maybe it was more profitable to buy him out in 2016

https://hockeyscap.com/players/colin_greening

:laugh:

What a pointless recall. It's almost like they forget how bad Greening is and need to be reminded on a periodic basis.

Jersey filler as we had 3 guys injured. Would have liked to see Schneider instead, just to see how he'd look in the NHL and to reward him.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I don't understand that why isn't he in the NHL. He is tailor-made to be a 4th line player. Big, strong, fast and possesses a lethal shot, as well.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I don't think they still have hope about Greening. But apparently, the Sens don't want to buy out his contract. Maybe they have more detailed calculations that prevent them to do that, I dunno, I haven't really checked. Maybe it was more profitable to buy him out in 2016

https://hockeyscap.com/players/colin_greening

Jersey filler as we had 3 guys injured. Would have liked to see Schneider instead, just to see how he'd look in the NHL and to reward him.
Thought I read over the summer that he was not eligible for a buyout because his contract did not reach a certain $ threshold (barely).

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
lol. Love it.

Sticking it to the Green man

its not like he deserves bad treatment? this guy is and was a not very good hockey player. ALOT of people could see that. not his fault murray just showered him with money. Yeah his agent probably used the 17goals as reason, but still. I don't feel any animosity to greening whatsoever. in fact, im proud of another human being for making a living. a good one. if murray came up to me and was like heres 2.5 a year for 3 years. I would say yes, and would expect no animosity from anyone for it. good for greening.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Thought I read over the summer that he was not eligible for a buyout because his contract did not reach a certain $ threshold (barely).
THIS. I read that his agents structured it so that his dollar amount was just under the threshold and couldn't be bought out.

LINK:http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/08/04/senators-wont-buy-out-greening

He's $10k under the limit. Lol

That was the 2nd buyout window. This is a common misconception lately.

The CBA has a clause in it that if a team goes to arbitration, it has a "2nd chance" buyout option, with the reasoning being that in case an arbitration case is awarded in favor of a player at a high salary, and they need to get undrer the cap in order to accept the arbitration asard, they can buy out a player. In this 2nd window, there is a minimum salary that a player needs to earn in order to be eligible.

The 1st buyout window, which this offseason ran from June 15th to the 30th, does not have a minimum salary. You can buy out anyone you want, from a scrub making the league minimum to the highest paid player in the league. Only the 2nd buyout window in August for arbitration teams carries with it the salary condition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad