Dreger: Green Staying in Detroit

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wings have 10 forwards signed without including Mantha/Larkin/AA/Rasmussen/Svechnikov/Zadina.

... Absolutely do not need another.

Vanek's true value is in pumping up AA's value. They aren't even really hiding that anymore with Custance outright saying they think AA played his best hockey with Vanek. They are giving AA one last shot this season to be more consistent. If they don't like what they see Vanek pumps up his numbers anyway and gets his value up and AA's value up hopefully.

Also Vanek is a huge guy to have around day to day to teach one of the most exciting net-front prospects in a while in Rasmussen. That is a skill Vanek has mastered at the NHL level and help Bertuzzi and Rasmussen develop at. He represents a smart signing, I am not sure how they fit everyone without moving Helm, Glendening or Nyquist in my opinion. But we also are unsure if Z will even be here to start the season.

Green and Vanek are high-end talent players. Even if they aren't what they once were, they are pretty good teachers to players like Hronek and Rasmussen. That has to be a part of the picture. I don't need them learning from Abby and Helm even if Holland gives that lip service. I agree with keeping some high-end offensive guys that have been good fits in the dressing room while in Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad