Post-Game Talk: Green jacket, Blue Jacket who gives a ****?

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
What is this you speak of??? Are you saying better supporting players help a team?? Something maybe KH should look into!!!!

... as long as he doesn't sign any supporting players to a long term deal, at which point he becomes evil.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
10 million gets you 10 goals.
1.3 million gets you 25 goals.

Terrible contracts handed out by Holland. This team needs some offense from the back end and front end in a bad bad way. I'm sick of scoring one or two goals a game.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
And how long do you think he'll be cheap if he scores like that? While you're at it, how many goals do you think he'd have playing with Glendening and Sheahan and Nielsen instead of Seguin/Benn?

Probably not as many... I'm glad those guys are locked up too?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Terrible contracts handed out by Holland. This team needs some offense from the back end and front end in a bad bad way. I'm sick of scoring one or two goals a game.

Eaves was basically a waiver-wire level toss-in in that Legwand deal. He was a scrap heap pickup made good in Dallas. Kinda like Dan Cleary was here from like 07-11. Had we kept Eaves, you'd be calling for him to get released so we could keep Pulkkinen or Frk or whoever is the 22 year old kid who showed nothing of worth outside of a couple preseason games.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Eaves was basically a waiver-wire level toss-in in that Legwand deal. He was a scrap heap pickup made good in Dallas. Kinda like Dan Cleary was here from like 07-11. Had we kept Eaves, you'd be calling for him to get released so we could keep Pulkkinen or Frk or whoever is the 22 year old kid who showed nothing of worth outside of a couple preseason games.

You hit the nail on the head with this one.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Probably not as many... I'm glad those guys are locked up too?

The point is that Patrick Eaves is getting first line minutes playing with Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn. Drop whichever current young Wing you want on the 2007-2008 1st line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, they'd probably be tracking towards that many goals too.

The guys in Detroit play different roles. The only one who can remotely be considered in the same type of role is Nielsen and he is an inferior player to either of the two Dallas guys. As evidenced by making about $3M less than Benn and less than Seguin who is on a fantastic deal out of RFA and Nielsen being a UFA at the time of his.

If anyone here was beating the drum about losing Patrick Eaves in that Legwand deal back in 2014... or even cared before this year when he's been getting playing time with two of the best players in the NHL... I'd love to hear it and I'll bow to your foresight. The thing is, nobody was doing that. Just like Chicago fans weren't bemoaning the loss of Dan Cleary back in 2005-08, even when he turned into a 20g third line on Detroit's cup wins.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

This team has been scoring goals lately, it's just that they can never get good goaltending and goalscoring in the same game. And honestly Bob stole this one. We had 3-4 opportunities that are goals 90% of the time.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

I was referring to our team.

Abby, Helm, and Sheahan vs AA and Mantha.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
The point is that Patrick Eaves is getting first line minutes playing with Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn. Drop whichever current young Wing you want on the 2007-2008 1st line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, they'd probably be tracking towards that many goals too.

The guys in Detroit play different roles. The only one who can remotely be considered in the same type of role is Nielsen and he is an inferior player to either of the two Dallas guys. As evidenced by making about $3M less than Benn and less than Seguin who is on a fantastic deal out of RFA and Nielsen being a UFA at the time of his.

If anyone here was beating the drum about losing Patrick Eaves in that Legwand deal back in 2014... or even cared before this year when he's been getting playing time with two of the best players in the NHL... I'd love to hear it and I'll bow to your foresight. The thing is, nobody was doing that. Just like Chicago fans weren't bemoaning the loss of Dan Cleary back in 2005-08, even when he turned into a 20g third line on Detroit's cup wins.

I wasn't beating the drum, added the necessary caveat in my first post, and I'd take a prime Hank & Pav over those two every day of the week.

If anything, I was highlighting the fact that the Wings have gone from a team that makes also-ran's look amazing, to the team that will be on the losing/complaining end soon. Problem is, right now the Wings have several 'said also-ran's' locked up at premium. In other words, when they had low/no talent guys feeding off of their studs, they should have flipped them but didn't.

Almost everyone knows Eaves is a product of his line-mates. The Wings have stocked their farm/roster with marginal support troops, so I'm happy with the supply chain.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And how long do you think he'll be cheap if he scores like that? While you're at it, how many goals do you think he'd have playing with Glendening and Sheahan and Nielsen instead of Seguin/Benn?
So you're saying he's going to earn a bigger contact. No surprise there.

If it's a 3-5 year deal with a decent AAV, then kudos to Eaves.

But if it's a 7-year deal like Abdelkader was gifted, you can expect Stars fans to not like it (as is proper).

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
So you're saying he's going to earn a bigger contact. No surprise there.

If it's a 3-5 year deal with a decent AAV, then kudos to Eaves.

But if it's a 7-year deal like Abdelkader was gifted, you can expect Stars fans to not like it (as is proper).
It won't be as big as Abby's. Eaves is older, softer, more injury prone. Point is just that elite players can make their surrounding cast look better. Doesn't mean a player like Abby is worthless when he's not being put in a position to score a lot.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It won't be as big as Abby's. Eaves is older, softer, more injury prone. Point is just that elite players can make their surrounding cast look better. Doesn't mean a player like Abby is worthless when he's not being put in a position to score a lot.

He's a good fourth liner when not in a position to benefit from high end players. What's the value of that? Surely not the contract he was given.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

Abdelkader earned his contract off of the backs of Datsyuk and Z. Abdelkader isn't worthless, he's just way overpaid for his role.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

The $10 million is awful on its own, it doesn't require any further justification.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Abdelkader earned his contract off of the backs of Datsyuk and Z. Abdelkader isn't worthless, he's just way overpaid for his role.
You speak the truth but then try to be diplomatic. No, Abdelkader is not "worthless" in the sense that he's a functional NHL player but he's a decidedly mediocre player with a mediocre skill set that needs to be in a specific role to have any kind of effectiveness. His contract is one of the worst in Detroit professional sports history and probably the biggest, brightest neon sign sticking out of the corpse of this franchise to signal why this organization is in the situation it's in.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You speak the truth but then try to be diplomatic. No, Abdelkader is not "worthless" in the sense that he's a functional NHL player but he's a decidedly mediocre player with a mediocre skill set that needs to be in a specific role to have any kind of effectiveness. His contract is one of the worst in Detroit professional sports history and probably the biggest, brightest neon sign sticking out of the corpse of this franchise to signal why this organization is in the situation it's in.
Yeah surely the decline of our core and lack of elite youngsters stepping in is not why we're in this position. Abdelkader is. This team would definitely be in an entirely different situation without Abby.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Yeah surely the decline of our core and lack of elite youngsters stepping in is not why we're in this position. Abdelkader is. This team would definitely be in an entirely different situation without Abby.
You didn't read the post. The CONTRACT he is signed to and the role and reliance on him that far exceeds his talent is the issue. He himself is who he is. Giving a 3rd (and preferably 4th) liner that kind of money and wanting him to be a featured face of your franchise isn't Abdelkader's fault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad