Greatest season ever by a conventionally bad player?

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
The first one to spring to mind was Fernando Pisani’s 14 goal, 18 point postseason. I know nothing else about him though.

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Ian Moran scored 12 points in a season. The difference between the amount of talent and 12 points is the biggest ever in the NHL. It would be equivalent of Christian Laflamme winning the Norris.

Reactions: Eisen

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Pouliot was a weird one. After his first gew games with the Habs i was sure he was going to be an elite player. Seems to have size, speed and skills. Never.panned out
I was never big on that trade because Latendresse was the definition of a guy who just gives you enough to get excited about his potential, and always seemed like he was a step or two away from figuring it out and then becoming a star. Of course that never happened, but when I saw his first season in Minny, I thought for sure he was going to be a 30 goal scorer for years to come.

That said, apparently the Habs had Pouliot as their #1 choice for the 05 draft with Price #2, so at least we only gave up a scrub for him instead of our franchise goalie.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Correct me if I'm wrong and I don't call him a bad player, but didn't Ray Sheppard score 50 goals right after Red Wings bought him for 1$. I can't remember where.
Kris Draper was obtained for futures ($1) from Winnipeg.

Sheppard was a decent scorer who had that one 50-goal season.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
Kris Draper was obtained for futures ($1) from Winnipeg.

Sheppard was a decent scorer who had that one 50-goal season.
I checked it and Sheppard was actually bought for 1$ but it was Rangers who bought him from Buffalo. He scored 47pts in 59 games for NYR and then got traded (dunno the price)to DET where he did 36, 32, 52 and 30G seasons

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I remember Chris Kontos who basically was a non-NHLer and scored 9 goals in 5 games (I think) for LA in the 88-89 playoffs. During Tampa Bay's first year, he scored 27 goals in 66 games.

Reactions: DaveG and Ace36758

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
I checked it and Sheppard was actually bought for 1$ but it was Rangers who bought him from Buffalo. He scored 47pts in 59 games for NYR and then got traded (dunno the price)to DET where he did 36, 32, 52 and 30G seasons
Oh wow! Thanks for checking! I had totally missed this about Sheppard and imagined you must've mixed up the stories. You taught me a new thing and made me have one of these moments:

tenor.gif

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Probably not the worst, but Devin Setoguchi had a 30 goal, 65 point season. In reality, he was at best bottom 6 forward with PP upside.
nah he was a first round pick for a reason, he declined for other reasons.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I remember Chris Kontos who basically was a non-NHLer and scored 9 goals in 5 games (I think) for LA in the 88-89 playoffs. During Tampa Bay's first year, he scored 27 goals in 66 games.

I'd argue Kontos was far from a conventionally bad player though, rather he had a very unconventional career. Was playing with Lemieux and especially Gretzky with notable success, yet couldn't carve himself an NHL career regardless. To Tampa he arrived from the Italian lower leagues, and after the successful NHL season he got his Olympic medal with Team Canada only to vanish again in the abyss of the Swedish lower leagues. That's where Tomas Holmström was discovered around the same time, maybe a bit similar player that made an enormously successful career.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Rob Brown was not a "conventionally bad" player.

Here are some players he outscored in his final year in the Western Hockey League, who were the same age as him:
- Joe Sakic
- Theoren Fleury

That was 2 years prior to his big 1988-89 season as Mario's power-play partner.

Brown's longevity in the NHL had two things working against him:
1) he was a party-animal
2) he was tiny just as the era of big/Lindros-prototypes started
with all due respect to your opinion because you might know more then me about brown as a player, but dude blew, imo.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'd argue Kontos was far from a conventionally bad player though, rather he had a very unconventional career. Was playing with Lemieux and especially Gretzky with notable success, yet couldn't carve himself an NHL career regardless. To Tampa he arrived from the Italian lower leagues, and after the successful NHL season he got his Olympic medal with Team Canada only to vanish again in the abyss of the Swedish lower leagues. That's where Tomas Holmström was discovered around the same time, maybe a bit similar player that made an enormously successful career.
Kontos was the ultimate streaky player -- as in, he had 2 good streaks in his entire career:

Dec. 1982 to April 1989:
24 goals in 151 games

April 1989:
11 goals in 10 games (mostly playoffs)

October 1989 to spring 1992:
played 11 games only (3 goals scored)

October-November 1992:
18 goals in 18 games

After that, 9 more goals in 48 games, then never played NHL again.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Jim Carey was very good. He was very good prior to the NHL and very good in the NHL. My memory is a bit foggy by now, so not sure if things started to go south for him due to the two less-than-stellar postseasons with the Caps or after his trade to the Bruins. Think he also had that inner ear injury that must've also been a factor.

He's more a very good player who fizzled out quick rather than an inherently bad player being a flash in the pan.

He was lights out for Portland before jumping up to the NHL.

Reactions: Dexter Colt

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Kontos was the ultimate streaky player -- as in, he had 2 good streaks in his entire career:

Dec. 1982 to April 1989:
24 goals in 151 games

April 1989:
11 goals in 10 games (mostly playoffs)

October 1989 to spring 1992:
played 11 games only (3 goals scored)

October-November 1992:
18 goals in 18 games

After that, 9 more goals in 48 games, then never played NHL again.

Also had a 6-point game in 1988.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad