Greatest goal scorer ever? Ovy or?

Greatest goal scorer of all time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I don't think it's outlandish to believe a player like Stastny peaked higher than Crosby, infact it's very close. Same goes Nilsson(whom obviously lack career value in comparasion). That said I agree that era needs to be taken into consideration.

You must have been reading my posts (mind) - lol
As I've been rambling about how Statsny and Kent Nilsson are probably the two most under-rated players ever - or at least in my lifetime.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Gretzky's strength was in finding the angles, but as such he was a product of a specific era and never really adapted when that came to end.

Vernon-beat-by-gretzky-slapper.gif

That's bullshit. Even your example shows how good of a goal scorer he was. He crosses the ice to make himself room, pauses for a second to take the goalie (Vernon?) off his angle to open up just a bit of space and puts the puck past him with a beautiful shot. The game didn't 'change' on Gretzky. He got older. - why he's out that far is because goalies knew Gretzky could beat you with a shot like the no matter what. ---- And I'm not really a Gretzky fan but give the devil his due. He was damn good.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
In the 1980s standup goalies faced shooters that far out simply because they were attempting to cover the entire net, that had nothing to do with Gretzky in particular. The emerging butterfly style enabled goalies to play angles way more effectively deep in their own net and that didn't suit Gretzky particularly well.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'll go Ovechkin given his peak and longevity, but his main competition isn't even listed as an option.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, it's clearly Gretzky, but I get that Ovechkin fits the profile of a sniper better. Don't see how the Hulls aren't on there. Ovechkin always struck me as Bobby Hull incarnate.

Reactions: Sidmieux

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
How could you put bossy ahead of Gretzky while their primes overlapped and Wayne slaughtered him in goals?

Bossy really has no argument for being the best goal scorer ever or a better goal scorer than Gretzky.

He retired at an early age (for an NHL player) and because he retired early and played his entire career in a very high scoring era, his goals per game average is better than Gretzky's, who played much longer and also played during some seasons in which goal scoring across the League was lower than it was in the 1980s.

When they were both in the NHL, Gretzky was much more prolific at putting the puck in the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad