Music: Great moments in songs

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
What are some of the greatest moments in songs? It can be a riff, a vocal, anything you want. Here are a few that stand out to me.

Steven Tyler hitting those high notes in Aerosmith's Dream On
Roger Daltrey's "Yeah" in the Who's Won't Get Fooled Again
When the drums kick in in Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit
The female vocalist singing "rape, murder, it's just a shot away" in the Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter. You can hear Jagger saying "yeah" on the recording in reaction to it.

What are your favourites?

Interesting tidbit about Merry Clayton (the female vocalist)

Upon returning home she suffered a miscarriage, attributed by some sources to her exertions during the recording.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimme_Shelter

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Black Sabbath's "Neon Knights" is already briliant in itself. But when the bridge (at 1:07, "Circles and Rings/Dragons and Kings...") begins, the late Dio - may he rest in pease - elevates his signing to an even higher level. This particular part still electrifies me!

Having a break in a rock song just to let it pick up the energy again and even more so is certainly no revolutionary idea. The slow part of Judas Priest's "Victim of Changes" (at 4:40) is just that - and still something else for me; Halford screaming the title gives me goosebumps every time!

A honourable mention goes to the break in New Order's "Morning Night and Day". It's a different song, a different style, but still awesome!

While I normally don't particularly like metal guitar solos, there are a few I love. By far the best is the late Hanneman's - may he rest in pease as well - vibrato/tapping solo in "Seasons in the Abyss" (at 4:28). Another sweet, albeit smaller gem of this song is King's pick slide, by the way (at 5:54).

A honorable Slayer mention goes out to "South of Heaven". Playing the last verse a bit higher is an old trick, but it really adds even more tempo and anger to this song!

Increasing the intensity thoughout a song is always a good thing. Knowing that Joy Divison's singer Ian Curtis committed suicide - may he also rest in peace - makes him becoming seemingly crazy in songs like "Dead Souls" and especially "Transmission" (at 2:30) totally haunting!

Gruß,
BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad