Music: Great moments in songs

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What are some of the greatest moments in songs? It can be a riff, a vocal, anything you want. Here are a few that stand out to me.

Steven Tyler hitting those high notes in Aerosmith's Dream On
Roger Daltrey's "Yeah" in the Who's Won't Get Fooled Again
When the drums kick in in Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit
The female vocalist singing "rape, murder, it's just a shot away" in the Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter. You can hear Jagger saying "yeah" on the recording in reaction to it.

What are your favourites?

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
At 3:30 of Dazed and Confused is a great moment of Bonham, Jones, and Page going crazy. Still a favorite moment in any song.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That GNR and Aerosmith comment was really rude, but deep down, that is kind of how I feel about them.

The moment in Confusion by Fela Kuti after a long buildup, where the rhythm section/drums frantically comes in.
The moment in Spray by Can where the moment it starts to lose you in the chaos, it reels you right back in with that tumbling bassline.
Inexplicably can't get enough of that final lilting backup vocal McCartney puts on Here There and Everywhere.
In Miss Fortune by Faust, where the guitars come into to support those pounding drums. Sounds euphoric.
I also can't help but have a full ear to ear grin when Mark E. Smith gets racist at the beginning of The Classical. "Where are the obligatory N*****s?! HEY THERE F***FACE!! HEY THERE F***FACE!!!"
The moment in My Favorite Things where it starts to get looser and looser and goes off the conventional rails.
The "And then my mind split open" moment in Heard Her Call My Name by Velvet Underground

Last edited:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
When the calm moment starts in Paranoid Android (3:25)

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Harvester of Sorrow is another great one. I actually find that album overall underrated.

I would agree. It will always be regarded in the sense of their "big four" albums, but apart from that it's often overshadowed by Kill, Ride and Puppets. Justice is my favourite of theirs without question. I think the title track and Blackened are in their top 5 best songs.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Melody beginning at 2:51. Outro sample at 6:19 (Really just pick any moment in the song, it's phenomenal all the way through).

Underwater vocal effect at 2:35

Riff at 2:20

Synth portion beginning at 4:07. But really another song I could pick like 25 moments from. Listen to the whole thing.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Since this thread is leaning heavy on riffage right now.
My favorite headbanging moment is the outro to Seabeast (3:20)

It craps on all your guy's riffs : P :sarcasm:

But actually the opening of Arcade Fire's Funeral/Tunnels
&
The Gimme Shelter intro (and the 'rape, murder' as stated in Op)
&
The final solo in Jimi's All Along the Watchtower
&
The transition to the arpeggios in Debussy's Claire De Lune

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The theremin solo into the guitar solo in Whole lotta love.

God I love this.

The moaning, the theremin, the "dun-dun" they make right before Jimmy unleashes all his rock and roll wrath on the world.

So great.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
3:20-5:00
i love how they glitch/skip into the bridge (if you can call it that)

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
The female vocalist singing "rape, murder, it's just a shot away" in the Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter. You can hear Jagger saying "yeah" on the recording in reaction to it.

This was the first thing that came to mind.

Others:
- The first time Bob Dylan sings the chorus of Like a Rolling Stone. His snarl saying "How does it fell?" is legendary.
- When Tony Iommi hits the opening three guitars note on Black Sabbath's seminal opening to their debut album. With that riff, a genre was born.
- "Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time. Y'all have knocked her up..."

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
The male choir part in "The Call" by the Backstreet Boys at 2:00, still get goosebumps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad