[GRAPHIC] Swedish junior league: demolishes other player's face with an axe chop

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
What would be the punishment for this in todays NHL? A whole season suspending?

The guy throw some water at a player, that player turned and took a full swing with his stick on the guys face.

WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES IN LINK
Jätteskandal i J20-match – svingade klubban med full kraft: ”Hoppas jag aldrig får se nåt liknande”
Is there a link to the video, the only video I see is of the russian coach kicking a player, which in itself was pretty low. The Swedish kid in the photos looks horrible.

member 305909

It's surprising really that incidents like this aren't more common given the nature of the sport. Fortunately so.

I wonder will either of these guys ever play hockey again. One of them may not be allowed to while the other may not want any more.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
It's surprising really that incidents like this aren't more common given the nature of the sport. Fortunately so.

I wonder will either of these guys ever play hockey again. One of them may not be allowed to while the other may not want any more.
It takes a special kind of person to commit this. Most people don’t do this. (Even in a heated hockey game)

Reactions: DowJones

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
If you react like that to some water getting splashed on you, you have some deep psychological issues. Ban the kid who did it for life.

Also I don't know Swedish law, but just because you lace the skates up and are on ice between boards doesn't entail you to have free reign to all out assault someone. I hope law enforcement gets involved.

After seeing the video, they shouldn't and probably won't. Other kid started it, yeah the response to getting squirted was bad but not that bad. Based on the original photo I was expecting a full on baseball swing hack at the kids face an ambush style like Simon on Hollweg but clearly that wasn't the case.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Looks like he gets a year long suspension and there might be some legal charges too. My swedish isn't very good so i might have read it wrong.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
That kind of cancel culture you advocate for doesn't help anyone.

What should make you uncomfortable is the high crime rates as well as recidivism rates.
Putting rapists and murderers in prison is cancel culture? What the f*** am I reading in this thread.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
He will be prosecuted and put behind bars, in sweden they take players and citizien safety seriously unlike the NHL! The excuse: "It was a hockey play" is not valid here & is not a out of jail free card!

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Is it just me that doesnt see any victim here? The result is horrible but the guy got exactly what he wanted, a reaction.

TheRarestDangles

Oct 1, 2019
Denver, Colorado, USA, Earth
Good questions.

(I'm not sure rapists do less or lighter time than minor offenders in US prisons, but I'm no expert.)

Our (Finnish) Nordic system seems to be working. The focus is on correction, rehabilitation, so forth.

The career/tribal/organized element obviously just laughs at all that and needs to be recognized as different. Has been, too.

So far the whole thing seems to be working okay.
Well I know in Sweden the sentence for rape is 4-10 years, lasting no longer than 10 years (notwithstanding of the violence/personal harm inflicted in the act). Seems a bit strange to me, but if it works it works. The U.S. is a nightmare so I couldn't criticize any other system.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Well I know in Sweden the sentence for rape is 4-10 years, lasting no longer than 10 years (notwithstanding of the violence/personal harm inflicted in the act). Seems a bit strange to me, but if it works it works. The U.S. is a nightmare so I couldn't criticize any other system.
To be fair, it's not the system, it's the culture. You could implement the most draconian measures possible here and it wouldn't make people commit more crime. 4-10 years for rape in Sweden sounds like a nightmare since they haven't had presumption of innocence after 2018 which increased convictions by 75% in one year.

Rape conviction rates rise 75% in Sweden after change in the law

"Sweden changed the legal definition of rape in 2018 to sex without consent. Unlike in many countries, prosecutors do not have to prove the use or threat of violence or coercion."

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
After seeing the video, they shouldn't and probably won't. Other kid started it, yeah the response to getting squirted was bad but not that bad. Based on the original photo I was expecting a full on baseball swing hack at the kids face an ambush style like Simon on Hollweg but clearly that wasn't the case.
Yeah I’m a little surprised at the damage he did after seeing the clip

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.

The trouble, you can't really look at conviction rates apart from sentencing and prosecution rates. And all that still doesn't catch the cultural differences for not reporting this kind of a very personal crime. (This has been evident in Finland among immigrant communities. Not just afraid to talk per se, socially, but afraid of the judicial machinery too. I've sort of been there as a supporter for a witness, on a strong standing, and still the cold bureaucratic process with its uncertainties scared the hell out of me.)

I mostly agree with you. I'm not sure you have Sweden's stats right, you didn't say where you drew them from.

In our neighboring Finland, things seem to be average, and it's mostly a similar system as the other Nordics have. (Not by imitation but by first hand experience. This is reflected in education -- weird countries like Vietnam are now importing the knowhow so it has become an export product worth something. I don't know but some others are thinking we're doing it right, in this area. They don't even know we're going to fall down in the PISA scores soon, for good reason. [A positive reason. Not sure you're interested in this edu stuff.])

You can't really say "the US" is a nightmare when it's all about the States and their own legislation and practises. How about 50 different readings any day. Okay it's a legit nightmare from a lawyer viewpoint, grant you that.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
To be fair, it's not the system, it's the culture. You could implement the most draconian measures possible here and it wouldn't make people commit more crime. 4-10 years for rape in Sweden sounds like a nightmare since they haven't had presumption of innocence after 2018 which increased convictions by 75% in one year.

Rape conviction rates rise 75% in Sweden after change in the law

"Sweden changed the legal definition of rape in 2018 to sex without consent. Unlike in many countries, prosecutors do not have to prove the use or threat of violence or coercion."

Wow, that seems like multiple degrees of not okay.

Granted I'm not aware of the limits of that legal change and the way it's overseen but that premise sounds like a horrible idea.

TheRarestDangles

Oct 1, 2019
Denver, Colorado, USA, Earth
The trouble, you can't really look at conviction rates apart from sentencing and prosecution rates. And all that still doesn't catch the cultural differences for not reporting this kind of a very personal crime. (This has been evident in Finland among immigrant communities. Not just afraid to talk per se, socially, but afraid of the judicial machinery too. I've sort of been there as a supporter for a witness, on a strong standing, and still the cold bureaucratic process with its uncertainties scared the hell out of me.)

I mostly agree with you. I'm not sure you have Sweden's stats right, you didn't say where you drew them from.

In our neighboring Finland, things seem to be average, and it's mostly a similar system as the other Nordics have. (Not by imitation but by first hand experience. This is reflected in education -- weird countries like Vietnam are now importing the knowhow so it has become an export product worth something. I don't know but some others are thinking we're doing it right, in this area. They don't even know we're going to fall down in the PISA scores soon, for good reason. [A positive reason. Not sure you're interested in this edu stuff.])

You can't really say "the US" is a nightmare when it's all about the States and their own legislation and practises. How about 50 different readings any day. Okay it's a legit nightmare from a lawyer viewpoint, grant you that.
I'm really tired. Should I go to bed early tonight?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Is it just me that doesnt see any victim here? The result is horrible but the guy got exactly what he wanted, a reaction.
You think he wanted a broken upper jaw due to squirting water on the guy? The act warranted the response? What?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I'm in no way condoning what stick guy did - it's messed up, criminal, and way overboard - but maybe this kid learns not to squirt your water at a player skating by while you're being a punk on the bench.
Hard lesson.
Your post is essentially a terrible take but….

Squirting someone with a water bottle is dumb but any sort of stick swing is completely disproportionate. So the lesson is that some people have serious behaviour issues.

Squirting water bottles happens at the pro level frequently with no penalty (which it technically is) and sets a terrible example. ‘Punks’ have done it in the NHL this season without penalty so maybe best Ice Hockey example in the world shod be the starting point for ensuring good behaviour on the bench.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Your post is essentially a terrible take but….

Squirting someone with a water bottle is dumb but any sort of stick swing is completely disproportionate. So the lesson is that some people have serious behaviour issues.

Squirting water bottles happens at the pro level frequently with no penalty (which it technically is) and sets a terrible example. ‘Punks’ have done it in the NHL this season without penalty so maybe best Ice Hockey example in the world shod be the starting point for ensuring good behaviour on the bench.
I know it's a bad take. I tried to defend against that, though comparing it to rape as one poster did was a bit much.
Obviously the response was extreme and has no place in the game.
But being a troll on the bench isn't an excuse. No. He didn't deserve to have his face caved in. But he was being a dick.

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Personally I think if you use your stick as a weapon purposely (especially on to a face) not only should they be insta banned for life but should also be arrested for assault.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Just make full face covers mandatory. Would fix the issue with high sticks as well. But "safety last" is our motto in ice hockey, I guess.

Also, kind of dumb if stuff like this is "just a hockey play" and isn't able to be criminally prosecuted. Should be an attempted murder and a solid amount of jail time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad