Grant Fuhr vs Vladislav Tretiak

Elvis P

I got 9 lives, cat's eyes
Dec 10, 2007
Black Sabbath
1. Who was better and why? 2. If they had both played in the NHL, who would have been a better NHL player and why? 3. Who would you take first in a fantasy hockey draft and why? Tretiak - Behind his unprecedented 1.78 goals-against average in 98 international games, the Soviets won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976 and 1984. :amazed:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Tretiak is, IMO, significantly better, but, I'm not a huge Fuhr fan. The big difference is that Tretiak could lockdown. Fuhr was never a goalie you wanted in tight defensive games, because he was prone to softies.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Not a Fuhr fan. TRetiak was better IMO. I don´t like the argument "when it counted, Fuhr was awesome". A goalie doesn´t know when it ocunts or not. He should always play like every shot is a potential game winner. Fuhr didn´t.

The Goaltending Guru

Oct 25, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
1. Who was better and why? 2. If they had both played in the NHL, who would have been a better NHL player and why? 3. Who would you take first in a fantasy hockey draft and why? Tretiak - Behind his unprecedented 1.78 goals-against average in 98 international games, the Soviets won Olympic gold medals in 1972, 1976 and 1984. :amazed:

1. IMO, Tretiak is the greatest goalie to ever play the game of hockey. I mean, just look at this resume':

-Member of world-champion Soviet Union hockey team, 1970.
-Member of world-champion Soviet Union hockey team, 1971.
-Winner, Olympic Ice Hockey Gold Medal, 1972.
-Member of world-champion Soviet Union hockey team, 1973.
-Member of world-champion Soviet Union hockey team, 1974.
-Named best goaltender at World and European Championships, 1974.
-Member of world-champion Soviet Union hockey team, 1975.
-Winner, Olympic Ice Hockey Gold Medal, 1976.
-Member of world-champion Soviet Union hockey team, 1978.
-Member of world-champion Soviet Union hockey team, 1979.
-Named best goaltender at World and European Championships, 1979.
-Winner, Olympic Ice Hockey Silver Medal, 1980.
-Member of world-champion Soviet Union hockey team, 1981.
-Named tournament most valuable player, Canada Cup, 1981.
-Named best goaltender at World and European Championships, 1981.
-Member of world-champion Soviet Union hockey team, 1982.
-Member of world-champion Soviet Union hockey team, 1983.
-Named best goaltender at World and European Championships, 1983.
-Winner, Olympic Ice Hockey Gold Medal, 1984.
-Elected to Hockey Hall of Fame, 1989 (Only player to be elected to HOF without having ever played an NHL game)

2. We may never know since Tretiak never got to play in the NHL, but I think Tretiak would have been just as dominant.

3. I would take Tretiak in a heartbeat. Don't get me wrong...Grant Fuhr was an amazing goalie, but remember...Grant Fuhr won Stanley Cups playing in the NHL but never won a Gold Medal. Vladislav Tretiak never won a Stanley Cup, but has 3 Gold Medals.

(All of this is a little biased since I just ordered a 1972 Vladislav Tretiak jersey, but I still believe he is the greatest goalie ever)

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Not a Fuhr fan. TRetiak was better IMO. I don´t like the argument "when it counted, Fuhr was awesome". A goalie doesn´t know when it ocunts or not. He should always play like every shot is a potential game winner. Fuhr didn´t.

Agreed. I hate that argument for any goalie. It's great that a goalie doesn't let in goals in overtime, but maybe they wouldn't be in overtime if he didn't let in goals in the first period either...

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Tretiak. Not close. The guy was a machine. Our Jaws were dropping watching him for the first time during the summit series. not as much as they were for Kharlamov, but close.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The argument that Fuhr won Cups but not Gold medals is lame. How could he? NHLers werent allowed to play in the Olympics. But aside from his 5 Cups he did win two Canada Cups (one in which he was the ONLY goalie playing). Tretiak has just one.

It's hard to tell but in overtime or a 7th game I'll take Fuhr. Over a season? Maye Tretiak but I dont know why all of the sudden there's no love for Fuhr and his clutch play anymore. If Claude Lemieux can be praised for his clutch pla why cant Fuhr? Because he would let in a softie once in a while in the 1st period? The difference between a guy like him and Hextall is that Hextall would let in the soft goal in overtime or late in the third period. But you cant dig up footage of Fuhr doing that.

Fuhr vs. Tretiak? It's a draw. Both capable Hall of Fame goalies

white_tiger

Sep 10, 2006
Phoenix
Tell you what If you want at the next event I see Grant at I'll ask him who he thinks was better?:)<Hey I'll take one for teh team as it were He already signed his Rookie card for me this summer>.. Should see him last part of Feb if not earlier at a Yotes Charity event.

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
Didn't Tretiak change the whole game for goalies? I have heard that every modern goalie has copied Tretiak, from Roy to Brodeaur.

/Cheers...

The Goaltending Guru

Oct 25, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
The argument that Fuhr won Cups but not Gold medals is lame. How could he? NHLers werent allowed to play in the Olympics. But aside from his 5 Cups he did win two Canada Cups (one in which he was the ONLY goalie playing). Tretiak has just one.

It's hard to tell but in overtime or a 7th game I'll take Fuhr. Over a season? Maye Tretiak but I dont know why all of the sudden there's no love for Fuhr and his clutch play anymore. If Claude Lemieux can be praised for his clutch pla why cant Fuhr? Because he would let in a softie once in a while in the 1st period? The difference between a guy like him and Hextall is that Hextall would let in the soft goal in overtime or late in the third period. But you cant dig up footage of Fuhr doing that.

Ok, fair enough, but then, here's my second argument. Is Grant Fuhr such a legendary goalie that he is known as the greatest goalie to ever hail from his country? Unfortunately, no. Is Tretiak the greatest goaltender in the history of Russia? You bet your f***ing a** he is!!!!

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Ok, fair enough, but then, here's my second argument. Is Grant Fuhr such a legendary goalie that he is known as the greatest goalie to ever hail from his country? Unfortunately, no. Is Tretiak the greatest goaltender in the history of Russia? You bet your f***ing a** he is!!!!

Pretty illogical...

Has way more to do with the country than the player..

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

...and Igor Larionov may be the best Russian center of all-time .. yet he wouldn't crack the top 20 centers in Canada.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Until I learned of the name "Vladislav Tretiak" 2 weeks ago, not only did I have no idea who he was and how great he was, but I hadn't even heard of the '72 Summit Series either.

Do you think maybe you're a bit out of your element discussing goaltenders you've never seen make a save?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
...and Igor Larionov may be the best Russian center of all-time .. yet he wouldn't crack the top 20 centers in Canada.

You have no clue what you're talking about if you think Larionov was even close to the best Russian center of all time......easily the weakest link of the KLM line.

Avy*

It works both ways, Kurri maybe top-30 NHL player all time but he is not the best in Finland. Same with Stastny.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Fuhr was NEVER a clutch goaltender. What Fuhr was brilliant at was making that key save at critical points in the game.....he was NEVER a goalie that had the ability to single-handedly win important games by himself ala Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Tretiak, Sawchuk, etc.
Fuhr needed Gretzky and co. score 4-6 goals for him to even get to that perceived moment of being 'clutch'. In my book that's not the definition of a big game goalie.

Tretiak>>>>>>Fuhr

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
That doesn't mean he's not still the best Russian center ever. If he is Russian and he is the greatest center in the history of his country, why should he care if he doesn't crack the top 20 in Canada? He shouldn't have to.

It means shouldn't use country of birth when comparing players head to head...

Like you did earlier..

Yoshimitsu

Sep 18, 2007
That doesn't mean he's not still the best Russian center ever. If he is Russian and he is the greatest center in the history of his country, why should he care if he doesn't crack the top 20 in Canada? He shouldn't have to.
Richard Park is the greatest right wing to ever come from South Korea. Alexei Kovalev isn't even close to being the greatest Russian RW of all-time. Does that mean that Richard Park is a better player than Kovalev? Hopefully you can see how inane your original point was.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Fuhr needed Gretzky and co. score 4-6 goals for him to even get to that perceived moment of being 'clutch'. In my book that's not the definition of a big game goalie.

Tretiak>>>>>>Fuhr

And how clutch was Tretiak in the final three games in Moscow?

I don't know how you can say a guy who won four Stanley Cups and two Canada Cups and was usually left to his own devices in Edmonton wasn't a big game player. I can't think of another goalie who did as much as Fuhr did with as little defensive support as he usually got.

Both were excellent goalies.

Avy*

Richard Park is the greatest right wing to ever come from South Korea. Alexei Kovalev isn't even close to being the greatest Russian RW of all-time. Does that mean that Richard Park is a better player than Kovalev? Hopefully you can see how inane your original point was.

South Korea is not great hockey country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad