Recalled/Assigned: Granlund, Veilleux, and Dowell recalled

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
Give Veilleux a one-way contract and 10 games into next season people are asking "Why on earth did we give him a one-way contract?".

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I thought one way/two way contracts don't mean anything once a player hits a certain age? In terms of waivers I mean...guys that are of a certain age will pass through waivers even if they have a 2 way contract right? I think it only has to do with what they are paid at each level.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
The time for experimenting was during the regular season, no chance Yeo breaks up Koivu-Parise now even though its what I would have liked a long time ago.

Granlund is probably just here for practice.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I thought one way/two way contracts don't mean anything once a player hits a certain age? In terms of waivers I mean...guys that are of a certain age will pass through waivers even if they have a 2 way contract right? I think it only has to do with what they are paid at each level.

One way/two way never have anything to do with Waiver eligibility. However owners aren't exactly thrilled with having a guy in the AHL making 1 million dollars when they could have a different guy down there making barely 100K.

Dowell for instance makes 700K in the NHL, but only 105K in the AHL.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The only reason Veilleux looked half-way ok is that Kenopka's and Rupp's lack of speed is badly, badly, badly exposed by the Hawks. Those two should not be on the ice this series and they cost us game 1 in OT. Yes, their slow backchecking gave the Hawks easy walk-in.

But don't think Veilleux is anything more than a little energy zap.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Rupp was decent--even good/great--in his role when healthy for us. he's obviously not healthy so of course he looks bad. kinda scary that they let a fourth liner play hurt rather than give minutes to someone else. but then who is that big? not that it matters if you can't catch anyone. Rupps pretty good at protecting the puck in the other zone but against chicago how likely is that to happen more than a couple times? let him heal up. in the unlikely event we make it past the hawks he'll come in handy later.

J22*

Ugh. This is one of my biggest complaints about Fletch. Gives out one-way contracts like candy.

Dowell was given a one way deal so he could be sent down without any of the penny pinching teams claiming him. It's a great way to have quality depth guys in the minors, as long as the owner is willing to pay for it.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Rupp was decent--even good/great--in his role when healthy for us. he's obviously not healthy so of course he looks bad. kinda scary that they let a fourth liner play hurt rather than give minutes to someone else. but then who is that big? not that it matters if you can't catch anyone. Rupps pretty good at protecting the puck in the other zone but against chicago how likely is that to happen more than a couple times? let him heal up. in the unlikely event we make it past the hawks he'll come in handy later.
Playoffs are not the same as the regular season. They just aren't.

If you are slow, you have no place in the playoffs. Sure big guys can bring the physicality in the season, because the rest of the team isn't bringing that element night-in-and-night-out. But in the playoffs, everybody is already hitting and skating, so you need guys who can actually get into position to be physical or make a play.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Playoffs are not the same as the regular season. They just aren't.

If you are slow, you have no place in the playoffs. Sure big guys can bring the physicality in the season, because the rest of the team isn't bringing that element night-in-and-night-out. But in the playoffs, everybody is already hitting and skating, so you need guys who can actually get into position to be physical or make a play.

yeah, just wait until we're being raeped by St. Louis or the Kings. Size isn't only about hitting, it's about taking checks and still having a fighting chance to keep the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad