Grand Rapids, MI
upload_2021-8-12_23-25-3.png

Reactions: bedtime20

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Kevin Lynch, 30-year old right handed Center. Seems to be Bottom6 guy, PK guy ?
Dude was a stud up until his sophomore year at UofM and then just stopped progressing, at all. Don't we already have more vets than we know what to do with in GR?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Starting6 should be:

Renouf - Murphy
Lashoff - Newpower
Sebrango - Witkowski
---------------------extras
LD McIsaac
RD Barton

Maybe they roll with 7 guys. McIsaac should push either Renouf or Lashoff out.

Does Newpower have NHL upside? Maybe the first callup?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

...Meh...

Hardly meh. There's been a bit of discussion on this board over the summer that it might be better if Martin leaves so Yzerman can bring in his own people. Martin was a Holland hold over and he wasn't very good at his job as a capologist and assessor of talent, in my opinion.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Lynch spent 3 or 4 years with Syracuse while Yzerman was Tampa's GM...so there's an obvious connection there. Maybe the first post-Ryan Martin move for GR

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Hardly meh. There's been a bit of discussion on this board over the summer that it might be better if Martin leaves so Yzerman can bring in his own people. Martin was a Holland hold over and he wasn't very good at his job as a capologist and assessor of talent, in my opinion.

The "Meh" was more in response to Max's reaction. Like... Really? I associate Martin as more our old "capologist", which... Yeah...

Reactions: David D

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The "Meh" was more in response to Max's reaction. Like... Really? I associate Martin as more our old "capologist", which... Yeah...

Oh, yeah. Max Bultman seems like kind of a chud.

Have you ever noticed that whenever Yzerman is doing an interview and Max Bultman from the Athletic speaks up Yzerman looks visibly more irritated just by hearing the name?

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Oh, yeah. Max Bultman seems like kind of a chud.

Have you ever noticed that whenever Yzerman is doing an interview and Max Bultman from the Athletic speaks up Yzerman looks visibly more irritated just by hearing the name?

Ok well here is where I have a different experience actually.

Max is ok enough. He's got a job to do. And he actually has journalistic moments at times where he poses good questions that challenge the vision. But yeah other times he seems like he's trying to be very chummy with the Wings brass and I don't know if that's because of his job or what. I'm guessing so.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Ok well here is where I have a different experience actually.

Max is ok enough. He's got a job to do. And he actually has journalistic moments at times where he poses good questions that challenge the vision. But yeah other times he seems like he's trying to be very chummy with the Wings brass and I don't know if that's because of his job or what. I'm guessing so.

I get that but Yzerman is not very chummy with any journalists. For that matter I don't think anyone from the Wings brass is chummy with the press currently. I can think of a few times where Blashill rolled his eyes in a press conference when he heard the name, "Helene St. James" mentioned. The organization is a lot more tight lipped towards the press than they were under Holland.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
I get that but Yzerman is not very chummy with any journalists. For that matter I don't think anyone from the Wings brass is chummy with the press currently. I can think of a few times where Blashill rolled his eyes in a press conference when he heard the name, "Helene St. James" mentioned. The organization is a lot more tight lipped towards the press than they were under Holland.

I agree. I think it's part of their job though to at least try to "be their friend" because they're trying to get a good quote of them to make a name for themselves. I don't know. I can only speculate. I've never done anything remotely close to that world and I never want to.

firebirds11

Mar 1, 2017
I'm guessing Sebrango will be close to if not a regular on D with the Griffins this season because they're likely going to have to rotate the veterans they dress to get around the vet rule.

The Griffins have Barber, Elson, Lynch, Lashoff, Murphy, Renouf and Witkowski all counting toward the vet rule, which means when all are healthy and on GR's roster, one will need to be scratched. Interstingly, Criscuolo actually missed the cutoff by one game and still counts as a "developmental" player for the whole year.

When healthy, the Griffins D is probably some rotation of 3 of their vets Lashoff, Murphy, Renouf and Witkowski and 3 of their young guys Barton, McIsaac, Newpower and Sebrango

Lynch isn't a veteran at the AHL level because ECHL games do not count toward the 260 count required for veteran status. They only have 6 right now.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
How good do you guys think the Griffins will be next season?

It's hard to tell because I haven't seen a real roster yet. On the GR AHL site they have Veleno and Givani Smith. On eliteprospects they have Lucas Raymond.

I would personally like to see them try and play a possession style of game but I don't think that is Coach Simon's style, and ultimately I think that is going to limit them.

Reactions: David D

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
How good do you guys think the Griffins will be next season?
The only returning D is Lashoff and 4 other D players are rookies or nearly rookies. On offense, it's not known who will be playing there. Offense may look like last years team unless Berggren and/or Raymond play, plus who among Pearson, Veleno, or Stephens will stay with the DRW. Will Brattstrom or Fulcher get hot and take a spot? They should be good but may need time to gel

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The only returning D is Lashoff and 4 other D players are rookies or nearly rookies. On offense, it's not known who will be playing there. Offense may look like last years team unless Berggren and/or Raymond play, plus who among Pearson, Veleno, or Stephens will stay with the DRW. Will Brattstrom or Fulcher get hot and take a spot? They should be good but may need time to gel

Dan Renouf is former Griffin and played in NHL.
Ryan Murphy is 28-year old, 2 seasons in KHL.
Lashoff is the Captain.
Newpower could bee rookie, but has 4 seasons in NCAA, those are usually solid guys.
Sebrango got 1 season of taste already, is young, yeah.

Think the Top4 is enough experienced, then there are those young corps, Sebrango, McIsaac, Barton.

BTW, it seems that Filip Larsson has been added on the roster at Griffins homesite. I wonder why, because it was informed he is loaned to HV71 in Sweden.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maritime Hockey

Maritime Hockey

Aug 14, 2021
NB,NS,PEI
What's everyone's thoughts on McIsaac??

I'm expecting him to take a big step this season (If he stays healthy). I think he played well in his short stint with the club last season.

He kind of hit the ground running which can be tough for some guys especially considering it was a major shoulder surgery.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Dan Renouf is former Griffin and played in NHL.
Ryan Murphy is 28-year old, 2 seasons in KHL.
Lashoff is the Captain.
Newpower could bee rookie, but has 4 seasons in NCAA, those are usually solid guys.
Sebrango got 1 season of taste already, is young, yeah.
Only Lashoff and Renouf have played together years ago. Hopefully they will be able to partner up & gel as a unit quickly.

BTW, it seems that Filip Larsson has been added on the roster at Griffins homesite. I wonder why, because it was informed he is loaned to HV71 in Sweden.
The homesite isn't always 100% correct. Up until a couple of days ago, they still had McIrath listed as 'under contract.' Larsson has been listed for at least a couple of weeks. I haven't heard anything contrary to him playing with HV71

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
What's everyone's thoughts on McIsaac??

I'm expecting him to take a big step this season (If he stays healthy). I think he played well in his short stint with the club last season.

He kind of hit the ground running which can be tough for some guys especially considering it was a major shoulder surgery.

Needs to stay healthy. There is not much more to say and he cannot afford to miss any more large amounts of development time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Wyatt Newpower was an undrafted defenseman who played four seasons for the University of Connecticut. He was the captain during his final season in 2020 where he also won the NCAA (Hockey East) award as Best Defensive Defenseman. He signed a one year free agent contract and played for Cleveland (AHL) during his first season professionally in 2021. Newpower is a right-shot defenseman who has a chance to develop into an NHL defenseman in the near future.

Nice article. There was some players missing, but didn't know these facts about Wyatt Newpower. Named as best defensive defenceman.

This would obviously out him as the ideal partner for Sebrango, because other LhDs Lashoff, Renouf, McIsaac aren't known of their puck-skills. More of defensive Defs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad