Confirmed with Link: Granato Out (Jason Christie & Matt Smith also let go, Ellis being reassigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I don't even know if he's a good development coach. But he can't be behind a bench at this level.
It was weird hearing Bakes and Fairburn talking about Ellis' "hockey mind" and him being better in the booth. It's like I live on a different planet.

Part of me suspects they are keeping him around for the inevitable exit of Appert.

Reactions: luiginb

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It was weird hearing Bakes and Fairburn talking about Ellis' "hockey mind" and him being better in the booth. It's like I live on a different planet.

Part of me suspects they are keeping him around for the inevitable exit of Appert.
I think it's more that Ellis was always a Sabres Org guy whereas the guys who were fired were specifically Granato guys.

"I'm not telling you it's gospel, it's what I heard that Peca has no interest in coming back to the Pegula Sabres" at 51.5 minutes. 'mkay.

There are so many folks who I trust in terms of what they know about what happens around the team and I don't have this guy in my group of them so I'll take it in and add it with a grain of salt. Peca was part of the Jr. Sabres for years and years and the path to being an assistant involved the organization doing him a solid to give him an AHL assistant job so that he could go work for someone else in the league.
Not sure what you're saying here -- are you implying it's likely that Peca would come back to Buffalo after asking for a promotion and being rejected?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think it's more that Ellis was always a Sabres Org guy whereas the guys who were fired were specifically Granato guys.

Not sure what you're saying here -- are you implying it's likely that Peca would come back to Buffalo after asking for a promotion and being rejected?

I'm saying I haven't heard from anyone else saying Peca would never come back. I'm also laying out what has been said about Peca from reputable sources regarding his path to the NHL assistant job and that involved him asking for and getting an AHL job from the organization. If he's miffed that the last coach didn't elevate him (which I was fully in favor of last summer, seeing the work the Rangers special teams and faceoff innovation is just top notch evidence of his ability), I can understand that. And at the same time, the org did do him a solid. Other franchises didn't give him OJT, Buffalo did.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm saying I haven't heard from anyone else saying Peca would never come back. I'm also laying out what has been said about Peca from reputable sources regarding his path to the NHL assistant job and that involved him asking for and getting an AHL job from the organization. If he's miffed that the last coach didn't elevate him (which I was fully in favor of last summer, seeing the work the Rangers special teams and faceoff innovation is just top notch evidence of his ability), I can understand that. And at the same time, the org did do him a solid. Other franchises didn't give him OJT, Buffalo did.
Did the org do him a solid or did he put in years or work with the org and earn a promotion, doing the org a solid? I'd say it's the latter.

If Buffalo didn't give him an AHL position at that point, someone else would have. He's not exactly an unknown in the hockey world, with a ton of his former teammates in high positions around the league.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Did the org do him a solid or did he put in years or work with the org and earn a promotion, doing the org a solid? I'd say it's the latter.

If Buffalo didn't give him an AHL position at that point, someone else would have. He's not exactly an unknown in the hockey world, with a ton of his former teammates in high positions around the league.

He had no previous experience above the OJHL level until he worked for Laviolette. Lavi laid out the path.

Maybe someone else would have given him a shot, maybe not. What we know is he wound up being hired by Buffalo and did good work and then wasn't promoted into a staff that was not adequate. He gets the last laugh there.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He had no previous experience above the OJHL level until he worked for Laviolette. Lavi laid out the path.

Maybe someone else would have given him a shot, maybe not. What we know is he wound up being hired by Buffalo and did good work and then wasn't promoted into a staff that was not adequate. He gets the last laugh there.
There is still a contingent of posters who feel he's ready for a coaching job and a realistic possibility to be the next coach -- which I was pushing back against (on both accounts) and the only reason this came up to begin with. Nothing you've said changes my opinion on that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There is still a contingent of posters who feel he's ready for a coaching job and a realistic possibility to be the next coach -- which I was pushing back against (on both accounts) and the only reason this came up to begin with. Nothing you've said changes my opinion on that.

Yeah, I don't think he's that guy yet to be HC.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Tuch mentioned wanting a coach who "brings energy into this locker room" at 3 minutes into his interview.

:blink:

Then two minutes later mentions Gallant "brings a lot of firepower and energy".

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Tuch mentioned wanting a coach who "brings energy into this locker room" at 3 minutes into his interview.

:blink:
Which makes me wonder: why did Kevyn Adams mention yesterday that at no point during the season did he give any consideration to letting Granato go? I don't get it. Even after the infamous Columbus game? And now hearing this, I mean come on, the GM couldn't put the pieces together -- low energy from coach and ultimately players, weak starts, no accountability for bad play, struggling special teams, etc. -- to even consider the possibility that the assistant he promoted to NHL head coach was in way over his head? What's up Kevyn?

Does this guy really have answers and a plan moving forward, or is he just blowing smoke up Pegula's and our assess?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I remember one game where Buffalo lost and Granato was doing the post game interview. One of the reporters asked about the players leaving before the post game interviews and Granato said,"Oh, did they?"

I was a bit shocking Donnie didn't even know the players left. (I believe the bargaining agreement players have to stay for post game interviews) and that Donnie had no control over the players or even held them accountable was disappointing.

Its refreshing that will change.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Does this guy really have answers and a plan moving forward, or is he just blowing smoke up Pegula's and our assess?
He said out loud during the presser that there's some stuff he can't and won't talk about, I would imagine having internal conversations with himself about when the right time to let Donny go would qualify. They're friends and he's not going to cut the guy's throat publicly by saying he had no confidence in him during the season. He's also not going to cut his own throat by acknowledging the same fact and opening him up to the obvious follow up "then why didn't you do something about it at that time?" question.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
25 years since "NO Goal"
Lindy's coming home.
That was in 1999, there's no way that was 25 years ago...right?
It's interesting to me that Tuch made such a comment, when he did not bring 100% every night.
I don't think that's much of a stretch. If you are not intrinsically motivated to give 100%, you should want a manager or coach to push the right buttons to help you get there. I have left jobs when I haven't had the proper structure in place around me, as I realized that I could not perform my best.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Dahlin definitely wants to win sounds like he is taking charge definitely future captain. Who are the a's though? Thompson and tuch seem like the obvious choice but that's on the lockerroom. Shaky year but I don't doubt the team's talent or effort
Thompson? I don't see a leader there but maybe I'm wrong. Let him focus on offense and getting better on draws.

I think it's more likely they view Cozens higher in the leadership pecking order. I'm oddly hopeful that he rebounds strongly under a different coach and starts to show the qualities that made him a unique prospect. Even though I've hated his game for large chunks of Granato's tenure, I have some hope he finds his way. A good coach should be able to see what his strengths are and play him that way. I agree with some others here that he should be developed into the matchup center and take that role seriously. Alternatively a good coach may see his game and prefer him on wing, and maybe more as a fill-in at center and play there on the PK, etc.

Just saying, they could put a hell of a match up line together with Benson, Cozens and Tuch that could be a nightmare for the opposition.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Thompson? I don't see a leader there but maybe I'm wrong. Let him focus on offense and getting better on draws.

I think it's more likely they view Cozens higher in the leadership pecking order. I'm oddly hopeful that he rebounds strongly under a different coach and starts to show the qualities that made him a unique prospect. Even though I've hated his game for large chunks of Granato's tenure, I have some hope he finds his way. A good coach should be able to see what his strengths are and play him that way. I agree with some others here that he should be developed into the matchup center and take that role seriously. Alternatively a good coach may see his game and prefer him on wing, and maybe more as a fill-in at center and play there on the PK, etc.

Just saying, they could put a hell of a match up line together with Benson, Cozens and Tuch that could be a nightmare for the opposition.
He did get tougher matchups this year his deployment was more akin to 21-22 season than last year where he got 30 goals. I see a 40 goal guy at wing wh o is a cannonball on the forecheck or match-up guy that can put away 25-30

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Who are you?

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
He did get tougher matchups this year his deployment was more akin to 21-22 season than last year where he got 30 goals. I see a 40 goal guy at wing wh o is a cannonball on the forecheck or match-up guy that can put away 25-30
I love your optimism. I don't think Cozens is the type of guy to outshoot his xG like he did last year. I think he settles in as a 22-25 goal/55-60 point guy. I truly think the truth lies somewhere between this year and last.

Sadly that is not a player I would have paid $7M. That's why I say, a good coach can probably maximize his value in areas other than points. Get him to play a straight line, no BS type of game that caters to his strengths. I don't think he'll ever have the puck control and hockey IQ to play the game he was trying to play this year. I think that's why he could work as a match up guy that focuses on playing hard against more skilled opposition and not overthinking things.

Who are you?
Listen...if I could trade Cozens tomorrow for a smarter/higher IQ player I would. But I understand they're married to him and am trying to look at how he can be utilized. I just have a feeling a veteran coach will coax a more well-rounded game out of him. Part of that might be to make a totally different first line and give Cozens a guy like Tuch and staple them together. He's never going to be a true top 6 line driver imo.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I love your optimism. I don't think Cozens is the type of guy to outshoot his xG like he did last year. I think he settles in as a 22-25 goal/55-60 point guy. I truly think the truth lies somewhere between this year and last.

Sadly that is not a player I would have paid $7M. That's why I say, a good coach can probably maximize his value in areas other than points. Get him to play a straight line, no BS type of game that caters to his strengths. I don't think he'll ever have the puck control and hockey IQ to play the game he was trying to play this year. I think that's why he could work as a match up guy that focuses on playing hard against more skilled opposition and not overthinking things.

Listen...if I could trade Cozens tomorrow for a smarter/higher IQ player I would. But I understand they're married to him and am trying to look at how he can be utilized. I just have a feeling a veteran coach will coax a more well-rounded game out of him. Part of that might be to make a totally different first line and give Cozens a guy like Tuch and staple them together. He's never going to be a true top 6 line driver imo.

Yes.. your critique of him now is reasonable and much better than "He's a loser" 😅

Reactions: Zman5778
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad