Confirmed with Link: Granato Out (Jason Christie & Matt Smith also let go, Ellis being reassigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Reacting as I watch the press conference:

Adams: This decision was on me
My reaction: Then why didn't you take action earlier? This was also your decision not to can Donny in October/November/Dec/Jan/Feb/March

Adams: We didn't play well enough. We didn't have our standard high enough from day 1 of training camp
Me: THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU TAKE ACTION EARLIER!?!!?!

Adams: No more talk about this being a young team
Me: Good. Are you going to do something about it by signing/trading for quality veterans? Or are you going to hold spots open for kids?

Adams: I want an experienced HC
Me: thank effing god

Adams: Terry Pegula talks to me every day and has STRONG opinions and we have great conversations.
Me: So you're not really the one making the decisions? You're just pegula's mouth piece

Adams: And he has given me every possible resource that he has to make this team better
Me: lol. So you're saying it was your choice and not terry's to spend no money the last 3 seasons. Then you're an imbecile.

Adams: This will be my decision(regarding HC).
Me: lol

Adams: Our system did not change. There was not a philosophical change to how we play.
Me: ooof

Adams: it's go time
Me: better late than never. But I won't believe it until you show me

Me: Who's injured and going to miss the WC? Couldn't hear the question at all despite turning the volume all the way up and rewinding it like 5 times.

Conclusion. He sounds like most of us after watching this season. The difference is he had the power to change things he admits to noticing in training camp and chose not to. He claims it was his decision not to spend resources that could have improved the roster the past 3 years. I'm not sure I believe him, but either way It's not acceptable.

Did you and Ace switch logins? Glitch in the system?

Figure if Ace is pleased everyone would be. Guess not!

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Peters said a rare useful thing today about Ellis. That there are things he does well in player development and they can use him upstairs…but he is absolutely not fit for the bench. He can’t be running power plays and drawing up plays and working with the players shift to shift in game action. But he has things he has done well…and should just go back to doing those
This has been an obvious point for a long time. We know Matty is a good team guy, good motivator and excels in the gym. We also know their PP sucked this year. Keep him in a non-bench role. A lot of us have said this.

I'm late to this party (busy day at work), but I'm at the point where Coach Q is my top choice if by far he's interested and the league will allow it. Should I feel bad about that? Maybe. I'm not sure.

I wanted the team to go after Laviolette the last time he was available.

Boudreau or Berube would be OK, but I think Bruce is past his prime and wasn't great in VAN. I've never loved Berube, but I don't have any particularly good reason for that.

I've always like Lindy Ruff, but I fear he may be a bit past his prime too. I'd take him over a rookie though. I would support bringing him in a hockey ops management role.

Woodcroft is intriguing to me, but probably considered too risky for this team right now. Also probably too risky to bring in McKee or Jeep other than as assistants. Same with Carle.

I like Appert, but he's too much of a development coach like Granato. They need more experience and a little edge.

Anyway, you have to hire a head coach before you can sort out the assistants. I assume that was the major reason for not announcing anything about them. I could see them retaining Wilford and Bales and moving Matty away from the bench, and I'd be OK with that.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
What was the statement Adams put out that leads people to believe they want to go in different direction and not hire another 1st time NHL coach?
Of our last five coaches, only two were first time head coaches. It’s not like the Sabres keeping hiring the same archetype of coach

disco dan - Stanley cup winning coach

Housley - up and coming first time coach, widely praised hire

Kreuger - out of left field hire, but coaching experience

Granato - developmental coach hired from within

I think the next step is retread vet coach? I’ll take it

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Kevyn,

I just watched your presser. I've never seen you this fired up. I liked/loved most of what you said.

But now -- you have to do it. Prove that you're bringing in an experienced NHL coach who will hold our team accountable. Prove that you're bringing in more abrasive bottom 6ers. Prove that trading for Byram wasn't just a plan-less accumulation of talent. Prove that you can build this team.

Prove it.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Kevyn,

I just watched your presser. I've never seen you this fired up. I liked/loved most of what you said.

But now -- you have to do it. Prove that you're bringing in an experienced NHL coach who will hold our team accountable. Prove that you're bringing in more abrasive bottom 6ers. Prove that trading for Byram wasn't just a plan-less accumulation of talent. Prove that you can build this team.

Prove it.
Well, maybe now that the next step after failure is him losing his job…maybe he’ll finally go for it

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Well done > Well said

Great press conference. Wasn’t a big Adams fan before but man has he flipped a switch and said what he needed too. Pegula might have had a stern convo with him and he now knows, no more excuses. The time is now.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Of our last five coaches, only two were first time head coaches. It’s not like the Sabres keeping hiring the same archetype of coach

disco dan - Stanley cup winning coach

Housley - up and coming first time coach, widely praised hire

Kreuger - out of left field hire, but coaching experience

Granato - developmental coach hired from within

I think the next step is retread vet coach? I’ll take it
Crediting Krueger with HC experience is technically correct but it would be exactly like someone hiring Ron Rolston and crediting his HC experience. Rolston actually had three more games.

Perhaps you’d prefer the word qualified or at least successful HC experience, Rolston, Housley, Krueger and Granato weren’t that. They were all unknowns despite Ralph’s big 48 games before getting fired.

Here’s a question…how many NHL games has Rolston through Ralph coached since?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Crediting Krueger with HC experience is technically correct but it would be exactly like someone hiring Ron Rolston and crediting his HC experience. Rolston actually had three more games.

Not sure your point, other than you’re agreeing that Kreuger had nhl experience

Perhaps you’d prefer the word qualified or at least successful HC experience, Rolston, Housley, Krueger and Granato weren’t that. They were all unknowns despite Ralph’s big 48 games before getting fired.

again, not sure your point. I said they were all different coaches, which they were

Here’s a question…how many NHL games has Rolston through Ralph coached since?

They weren’t good enough here. You’re arguing against points not being made

Reactions: Jeremy2020

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
I am shocked shocked shocked. They even dangled a post-season presser on Friday with GMKA and Donnie.

They either kept the cards close to their chest or made the decision this morning.

Either way.. It's happening!!

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Did you and Ace switch logins? Glitch in the system?

Figure if Ace is pleased everyone would be. Guess not!
Did you read my whole post? I liked a lot of what Adams said, but I'll reserve judgment until I see what actions he takes to back those words up.

I also thought a lot of what he said was pretty damning. Like saying that it was his own decision not to fire Granato until now when he saw problems all the way back in training camp and all throughout the season, or that it was his decision to spend at the cap floor or below for 2 years and be $8mil under this year.

Firing Granato is a good first step. Even if long overdue.

edit: And I just saw there's a whole other thread for the press conference. oops

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Peca is the weirdest prediction. He literally has no HC experience. Even Appert has more experience, and he's seen as the "no experience" option.

Years ago, when many people were banging the drum for an experienced POHO and GM combo, I really wanted Bill Zito as our GM. I'm always of the mind to find someone really good rather than someone that has as much experience failing than succeeding. It's just my personal thought process, I tend to be a forward thinking, proactive, strategic type of person rather than a reactive person that chases previous ideas.

And I totally get the whole 'everyone gets fired/everyone fails' line of thinking. But the really good coaches, and I mean really good, really don't move as often as your typical retreads; guys like RBA, Trotz, Babcock, Quenneville, and you can potentially start including guys like Montgomery, Cooper, and Bednar into this category as well.

Reactions: HOOats

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Years ago, when many people were banging the drum for an experienced POHO and GM combo, I really wanted Bill Zito as our GM. I'm always of the mind to find someone really good rather than someone that has as much experience failing than succeeding. It's just my personal thought process, I tend to be a forward thinking, proactive, strategic type of person rather than a reactive person that chases previous ideas.

And I totally get the whole 'everyone gets fired/everyone fails' line of thinking. But the really good coaches, and I mean really good, really don't move as often as your typical retreads; guys like RBA, Trotz, Babcock, Quenneville, and you can potentially start including guys like Montgomery, Cooper, and Bednar into this category as well.
Maybe you're too smart for us, you paint an impressive picture of yourself. Peca is still a wild choice considering he has nowhere near the amount of experience as any of the guys you listed as a basis for your choice. Sounds like a hipster pick lol.

And I thought you were making a prediction, which is why i said it was "weird" since he's probably not even in the top 100 likely candidates. Not nearly as weird if it's just your personal preference.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

Tachycineta

May 2, 2006
Gaithersburg, MD
In positive news, I'm back after working 6+ weeks 70+ and just short of 1K YTD (though or year officially begins December 21st). It was nice to read up on all these threads and see the Granato firing. I'd be ok for Ruff as a transitional coach if we can't get another experienced coach.

I don't recommend public accounting as a career for anyone, myself included (unless you want to be a partner and just thrive on work being your life). And the Capitals won...

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Maybe you're too smart for us, you paint an impressive picture of yourself. Peca is still a wild choice considering he has nowhere near the amount of experience as any of the guys you listed as a basis for your choice. Sounds like a hipster pick lol.

And I thought you were making a prediction, which is why i said it was "weird" since he's probably not even in the top 100 likely candidates. Not nearly as weird if it's just your personal preference.

I make fun of myself for my wrongs more than I take credit for when I'm right, so I'm not trying to prop myself up. The Zito thing was taking a shot a rising star that turned out to be right, but my overall point is that I'll always want the shot at the high upside option, not that I'm right when others are wrong. Sorry if it came off that way...

Also, I've never been accused of being a hipster before, that's definitely a new one :laugh:

I don't think we're hiring Peca, KA said he wanted experience and I believe him. But I like him as an up and comer based on his brief time in Rochester, how he handled himself in interviews, and now his progression under big name coach in Lavi. Peca was specifically tasked with working on the Rangers PP and faceoffs, and they went from 7th to 3rd in PP%, and from 20th to 7th in faceoff percentage. Not to mention they went from 3rd in the division a year ago to winning the presidents trophy this year. The Rangers took some big strides and since their core and coaching staff is largely the same, I'm choosing to give Peca some big credit here.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Ellis has that employment for life deal. They will just keep shuffling him around as needed. At some point he’ll be the equipment manager, and eventually the Zamboni driver.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
How would people feel about Jay Woodcroft ? He worries me the way it ended with Edmonton .

If the Leafs fire Sheldon Keefe I would go hard after him , only 44 with a huge history of winning and a Calder cup championship

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Ellis has that employment for life deal. They will just keep shuffling him around as needed. At some point he’ll be the equipment manager, and eventually the Zamboni driver.
I've known a couple NHL equipment managers. Pretty intensive job and the knowledge level is really, really high. Personally, I would prefer driving the Zamboni. A lot less stress....

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
It's because he and KA share the same haircut

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
good start, really depends on the next coach & roster moves. is this a sign martinez, buy out skinner and trade quinn & peterka for goodrow & coleman situation, idk what kevyn will do knowing he is next to get fired into the sun.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
People talk about yoga being the key to inner peace and regeneration, but I think I under-estimated the restorative power of my team shit-canning a coach that needed to go.

Its certainly shift me from the "I'm done" column to the "we'll see" column.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad