Graduates from each OHL team

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
It's really not Mattinen's decision. He's Leafs property so it's their call as to what they want to do with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he is with the Marlies next year as they should have some room in their defense with graduates and guys leaving via free agency.

Why would the Dogs trade Kaliyev after one year? Sure they are going to rebuild, but in the OHL rebuilds can happen fast. You keep him next year and see where things stand going into year 3, if you are still looking at another year to build, then you can trade him for a bunch of picks/and or kids to help.

Same goes with Donofrio, who's playing goalie then? Got to have a kid who at least has some experience between the pipes in the OHL. Cannot go with a couple rookies.

I'm assuming Strome is back next year. If so, he'll get dealt for a decent bounty, same goes with a guy like Thomas if the Blues decided to return him to juniors as I believe he would be eligible to return. I don't know who is else could be back next year as overage guys because I'm enjoying this current ride but surely there will be some other valuable pieces the Dogs could sell.

To the first, has he signed or has he just been drafted? I thought he was drafted but has yet to sign. I could be completely wrong here. Regardless though, if I am the Leafs I think in 9/10 cases the better development option if a player can't crack the AHL roster would be to stay in junior.

To the second, as I said, I suspect someone will have to pony up for Kaliyev to go early and I think he'll be worth more next year then after the 2019-2020 campaign. The big concern is that depending if we win the OHL and if Thomas returns to the OHL the Bulldogs may not have a 2nd round pick until 2027 (2025 if he stays) and handful of 3rd, 4th and 5th conditionals are in the wild till 2024. That's not easy to rebuild a team with if you don't make those picks up somehow. Granted, if that happens you will likely produce a playoff appearance next season, but that's still a very hard handicap to overcome.

To the 3rd, completely agree he should be playing goalie, but I'm expecting 2019-2020 to be a hard up season where you don't need a veteran goaltender.

To the 4th, sure, but realistically it depends how the draft/signed players shake out. If everyone goes like Digi expects to happen, Strome, Entwistle, Kaliyev, Donofrio, Nurse and Hanley I think are the currency you have to work with.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad