Graduates from each OHL team

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
After those graduations, Kingston, Missy and Hamilton stand to be very bad next year--and will likely finish towards the OHL basement in a fight for the #1 pick, along with the Soo and Sarnia, who are also losing a lot..

Reactions: LDN

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Thanks for this list! The Steelheads are going to need a big import draft if they have any hope of being competitive next season. I wonder if they would consider bringing back Michnac as a Euro/OA (if he would even be interested in that). With some added strength he would be a top line player in the O and hopefully could avoid fading down the stretch as he has the past two seasons

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Attack are loosing

Jacob Friend
Ethan Szypula
Brett McKenzie

The above 3 are graduating.

Also likely loosing Jonah Gadjovich and quite possibly Sean Durzi and Trent Bourque.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
After those graduations, Kingston, Missy and Hamilton stand to be very bad next year--and will likely finish towards the OHL basement in a fight for the #1 pick, along with the Soo and Sarnia, who are also losing a lot..
You think the Soo will challenge for the 20th spot? Have you seen their returning players not just the graduates? Plus coaching is excellent. They return many of their dmen. Vilalta is back, Frost, Hayton, Joe Carrol will be a beast, plus other quality returnees and a good. Voice of OA's. Likely between fourth and sixth in the conference at the trade deadline. Then who knows. But they will make the playoffs.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
You think the Soo will challenge for the 20th spot? Have you seen their returning players not just the graduates? Plus coaching is excellent. They return many of their dmen. Vilalta is back, Frost, Hayton, Joe Carrol will be a beast, plus other quality returnees and a good. Voice of OA's. Likely between fourth and sixth in the conference at the trade deadline. Then who knows. But they will make the playoffs.

Early prediction that Soo fans won't want to hear but I'll say it anyways: Frost will be traded at the deadline and Villalta is exposed for what he really is, a slightly above average goalie that is being absolutely carried by the best team in the country, but that won't happen next year when the team is just okay

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
North Bay is losing Riley Bruce, Jesse Saban, Jake Henderson and Julian Sime for certain. Kyle Potts is very likely. I'd wager Justin Brazeau and Luke Burghardt return as OAs and I'll throw it out there that Adam Thilander may return as an overage import.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Early prediction that Soo fans won't want to hear but I'll say it anyways: Frost will be traded at the deadline and Villalta is exposed for what he really is, a slightly above average goalie that is being absolutely carried by the best team in the country, but that won't happen next year when the team is just okay

Totally agree about Villalta. I have had the pleasure watching Soo (great team) in Saginaw many times with Villalta in net. He is maybe an average goalie, not even above average. He has been blessed with a strong team in front of him, and that has earned him NHL draft status, but it will all come crashing down next year.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Totally agree about Villalta. I have had the pleasure watching Soo (great team) in Saginaw many times with Villalta in net. He is maybe an average goalie, not even above average. He has been blessed with a strong team in front of him, and that has earned him NHL draft status, but it will all come crashing down next year.
Gotta disagree about Vilalta. The Hounds despite their record give up many grade A chances in a game. Vilalta is there to bail them out again and again. I watch EVERY game. Often they turn pucks over deep in their end and give up many 2 on 1 s. Last night he had no chance on the 2 power play goals against him. One deflection and a bang bang play. He also is in position to make saves look easy with great rebound control. Los Angeles Kings have a good one here with their third round pick.

Reactions: Fischhaber

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Gotta disagree about Vilalta. The Hounds despite their record give up many grade A chances in a game. Vilalta is there to bail them out again and again. I watch EVERY game. Often they turn pucks over deep in their end and give up many 2 on 1 s. Last night he had no chance on the 2 power play goals against him. One deflection and a bang bang play. He also is in position to make saves look easy with great rebound control. Los Angeles Kings have a good one here with their third round pick.

Just ignore the Generals guy. He's been on some kind of weird crusade to hate on Villalta for almost the entire season now. The guy needs something better to do with his life.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I think these kinds of sentiments are better left unexpressed.

Slamming a specific player over and over for more than a year and conatantly spamming the other team's thread with that sentiment is rather unnecessary. I stand by my statement and you would too if it were your team.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Slamming a specific player over and over for more than a year and conatantly spamming the other team's thread with that sentiment is rather unnecessary. I stand by my statement and you would too if it were your team.

You sure do love telling other people how to feel and how to act.

Reactions: BenchedGuy

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Kitchener will be losing
McEneny, Sherwood and Culina for sure. I think you can also put Stanley, Brown and Smith on the for sure gone list as well.
Bunnaman most likely will not be back IMO, will be in AHL.
Mascherin is a mystery depending on how his situation is handled with Florida. But I have a feeling he will be gone.
I believe Hall will be back.
So OA's will be Hall and Gentles at this point.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Wtf are you talking about? For over a year? At least be factual in your crazy statements.... You came onto the Gens thread like a month ago and started going on and on about how Keyser sucks and Villalta is the next Martin Brodeur so I said he isn't good.. I honestly think that's the first time I've ever said anything about him lol. And now in this thread (the thread I posted) a soo fan said how they're still going to be good next year and I responded (again, I created this thread) that Frost will probably be traded and Villalta is showing he isn't very good at all. So if me responding to threads that I post is being obsessed, then this forum is 100% crazy obsessed people because that's literally the point of this website lol

Btw the "and you would too if it was your team" proves my point to a T. Just because he's your favourite team's goalie doesn't mean he's good lol.....

Reactions: aresknights

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Wtf are you talking about? For over a year? At least be factual in your crazy statements.... You came onto the Gens thread like a month ago and started going on and on about how Keyser sucks and Villalta is the next Martin Brodeur so I said he isn't good.. I honestly think that's the first time I've ever said anything about him lol. And now in this thread (the thread I posted) a soo fan said how they're still going to be good next year and I responded (again, I created this thread) that Frost will probably be traded and Villalta is showing he isn't very good at all. So if me responding to threads that I post is being obsessed, then this forum is 100% crazy obsessed people because that's literally the point of this website lol

Btw the "and you would too if it was your team" proves my point to a T. Just because he's your favourite team's goalie doesn't mean he's good lol.....
Gotta agree that Frost likely will he gone at the deadline. But Vilalta has been very good in the playoffs. You have to watch all the games to appreciate him. The playoff numbers are more indicative of how the team played in front of him in high scoring games. Did he give up a softy in game 7 first goal? Yes. But he made many outstanding safes all game long that for some reason he just is not getting credit for. Vilalta is very well positioned and makes saves look routine. He also gives up very few rebounds. Los Angeles Kings did not sign an 18 year old goalie for nothing. They could have waited a full year yet to further evaluate him if they were not sure about him. But they signed him last week. They know how good he really is. It's not just the team in front of him.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

I don't think Hamilton will be really bad, we're still keeping Strome, Saigeon, Kaliyev, Donofrio (who has been decent), Gleason and Mattinen and decent odds of getting Thomas back. Certainly not cup contenders, but I think there's enough still there to avoid an early exit. The is especially true with the state of Kingston, Missy and Sudbury and Peterborough still rebuilding. I'm expecting a squeak into the playoffs season with a big sell happening at the deadline.

The season after next will likely be really bad though, little doubt of that. The team just doesn't have enough picks right now to make a splash and I don't think they are going to get enough immediate returns back next year.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
I don't think Hamilton will be really bad, we're still keeping Strome, Saigeon, Kaliyev, Donofrio (who has been decent), Gleason and Mattinen and decent odds of getting Thomas back. Certainly not cup contenders, but I think there's enough still there to avoid an early exit. The is especially true with the state of Kingston, Missy and Sudbury and Peterborough still rebuilding. I'm expecting a squeak into the playoffs season with a big sell happening at the deadline.

The season after next will likely be really bad though, little doubt of that. The team just doesn't have enough picks right now to make a splash and I don't think they are going to get enough immediate returns back next year.

True. But you can imagine Staios will be preparing for a full blown selloff as soon as this season is up, Memorial Cup or not. And you left out Entwistle.

The problem for Hamilton is the defense (who's going to play defense?) and the goaltending (Donofrio barely played and isn't trusted by Gruden and will likely be traded similar to Ceci as he's not part of the Bulldogs future, Zachary Roy's raw and unproven, Costantini will likely be with the Hamilton Kilty B's (formerly the Ancaster Avalanche) or somewhere as he won't be an option until 2019.)

Thomas is highly unlikely to return unfortunately--St. Louis' depth in centre is very thin, plus being a first rounder, has a strong chance of making the Blues.
Saigeon is 100% gone--AHL eligible and expected to be drafted, and his strong season and playoffs means an OA year is basically out of the question, similar to what happened with Matt Luff.
Mattinen is also 100% likely to not return--he'll be on the Marlies or ECHL next year as he'll likely go pro (AHL eligible)
Ben Gleason is 50/50.. depends if he gets drafted.

Strome and Kaliyev are the only ones returning for sure (unless Strome really impresses the Flyers, though he's likely looking at one more OHL season.)

And as you said, once the 99's graduate--this Bulldogs team is in serious trouble. After Kaliyev, the cupboards are very bare.. even if they make the playoffs next season, it'll be a one-and-done, as they'll likely get matched up vs. a top team (Oshawa? Barrie? Ottawa? Niagara?).. and they need to sell quickly--don't end up like what happened to Guelph, who waited too long to rebuild after their Memorial Cup run, and ended up with a devastating plunge which the franchise is still trying to recover from--don't want to see this happen to Hamilton, especially if they decide to bid for a Memorial Cup in 2021 (pending a new arena).

Last edited:

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
True. But you can imagine Staios will be preparing for a full blown selloff as soon as this season is up, Memorial Cup or not. And you left out Entwistle.

The problem for Hamilton is the defense (who's going to play defense?) and the goaltending (Donofrio barely played and isn't trusted by Gruden and will likely be traded similar to Ceci as he's not part of the Bulldogs future, Zachary Roy's raw and unproven, Costantini will likely be with the Hamilton Kilty B's (formerly the Ancaster Avalanche) or somewhere as he won't be an option until 2019.)

Defense is the concern, I think if there is a question of going to the ECHL or saying in the OHL for Mattinen the decision should be to stay in the OHL against people your age to develop more then going to the ECHL, playing against adults and potentially shortening your career for not the greatest pay. I believe you also have Hanley.

I dunno about Donofrio. I don't buy the not trusted part. It's very clear that Gruden favored Fulcher this season, but that is partly because he developed into arguably the best goaltender in this playoff series (although you could make arguments for Dhillon and Culina). Looking at Donofrio's stat line 3.14, 11 wins, 1 loss 1 OT-loss. That's better then Lasarev's numers (albeit a lot fewer games). I think you want to shop him if you can.

Really it comes down to the question, do the Dogs opt to sell right away or wait till the deadline. I think you can sabotage some of your trades waiting too long, but by the same token, if you can impress you can increase their value further and make some more fans buy in if you make the playoffs right after a big run. It's a hard call to make. I think you wait until the draft is done and see who is declaring what before you make any moves regardless.

I think though, Staios will wait for people to come to him and only set the wheels in motion if someone offers a blockbuster for whoever is left. That said, that blockbuster I suspect will be Kaliyev. A rookie with his numbers and playoff experience is likely worth a pretty penny to the likes of Ottawa, London or Oshawa who have just plain horded 2nd round picks, but aren't quite ready to make another run. I think London in particular would love to get him into their system early

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Defense is the concern, I think if there is a question of going to the ECHL or saying in the OHL for Mattinen the decision should be to stay in the OHL against people your age to develop more then going to the ECHL, playing against adults and potentially shortening your career for not the greatest pay. I believe you also have Hanley.

I dunno about Donofrio. I don't buy the not trusted part. It's very clear that Gruden favored Fulcher this season, but that is partly because he developed into arguably the best goaltender in this playoff series (although you could make arguments for Dhillon and Culina). Looking at Donofrio's stat line 3.14, 11 wins, 1 loss 1 OT-loss. That's better then Lasarev's numers (albeit a lot fewer games). I think you want to shop him if you can.

Really it comes down to the question, do the Dogs opt to sell right away or wait till the deadline. I think you can sabotage some of your trades waiting too long, but by the same token, if you can impress you can increase their value further and make some more fans buy in if you make the playoffs right after a big run. It's a hard call to make. I think you wait until the draft is done and see who is declaring what before you make any moves regardless.

I think though, Staios will wait for people to come to him and only set the wheels in motion if someone offers a blockbuster for whoever is left. That said, that blockbuster I suspect will be Kaliyev. A rookie with his numbers and playoff experience is likely worth a pretty penny to the likes of Ottawa, London or Oshawa who have just plain horded 2nd round picks, but aren't quite ready to make another run. I think London in particular would love to get him into their system early

It's really not Mattinen's decision. He's Leafs property so it's their call as to what they want to do with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he is with the Marlies next year as they should have some room in their defense with graduates and guys leaving via free agency.

Why would the Dogs trade Kaliyev after one year? Sure they are going to rebuild, but in the OHL rebuilds can happen fast. You keep him next year and see where things stand going into year 3, if you are still looking at another year to build, then you can trade him for a bunch of picks/and or kids to help.

Same goes with Donofrio, who's playing goalie then? Got to have a kid who at least has some experience between the pipes in the OHL. Cannot go with a couple rookies.

I'm assuming Strome is back next year. If so, he'll get dealt for a decent bounty, same goes with a guy like Thomas if the Blues decided to return him to juniors as I believe he would be eligible to return. I don't know who is else could be back next year as overage guys because I'm enjoying this current ride but surely there will be some other valuable pieces the Dogs could sell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad