Grades so far?

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Rangers fan here in peace.

Obviously Brassard hasn't been playing too well. What can you guys say about his play so far?

He's been very invisible so far, which isn't good when you have Turris invisible for some games and Pageau invisible for most games.

This move really replaced potential in our center depth with stability, which I guess was the goal. The knock on Zib around here was consistency and although Brassard has not been as good as we hoped, at least he's been consistent at doing what he does. The problem is that he's been closer to a middle six player instead of a top six one.

I hate this trade. I would have moved Turris, and it wouldn't have been for Brassard. But that's for a different thread.

jmor

Sens and Jets
Aug 20, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Karlsson: A+
Anderson: A
Dzingel: A-
Turris: B+
Methot: B+
Condon: B
Stone: B-
Hoffman: B-
Wideman: B
Phaneuf: C+
Borowiecki: C
Pyatt: C
Neil: C
Pageau: C-
Smith: C-
Ceci: C+
Kelly: C
Brassard: D
Ryan: F

I'm not as hard on Neil and Kelly since I wasn't expecting Neil and Kelly from years past. For being fourth line vets they're doing meh.

As for Ryan, I'm really not impressed with his game... i just don't see it. I understand he has been playing semi injured but he just doesn't seem to be creating anything out there. His shots always just seem to fall flat. I love the guy but ahhhh

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Since it has been asked in the OP to rank their grades /10 for the 30 first games, and relatively to what would be expected of them

9 would be way above expectations
8 would be above expectations
7 would be exactly meeting the expectations
6 would be barely meeting expectations
5 would be a bit below expectations
4 would be below expectations
3 would be way below expectations

9 : Dzingel
8 : Karlsson, Condon, Borowiecki, Wideman
7 : Anderson, Methot, Pyatt, Phaneuf
6 : Turris, Stone, Hoffman
5 : Smith, Neil, Lazar, Ceci
4 : Ryan, Kelly
3 : Pageau, Brassard

We need a bit more guys in the 7 & 8 categories. And Ryan and Brassard to develop more chemistry with others and produce more.

Nope. I'm just grading them based on their performance relative to the league.

:laugh:

I think you just have no idea of what you are talking about.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Since it has been asked in the OP to rank their grades /10 for the 30 first games, and relatively to what would be expected of them

9 would be way above expectations
8 would be above expectations
7 would be exactly meeting the expectations
5 would be a bit below expectations
4 would be below expectations
3 would be way below expectations

9 : Dzingel
8 : Karlsson, Condon, Borowiecki, Wideman
7 : Anderson, Methot, Pyatt, Phaneuf
5 : Smith, Neil, Lazar, Ceci
4 : Ryan, Kelly
3 : Pageau, Brassard

We need a bit more guys in the 7 & 8 categories. And Ryan and Brassard to develop more chemistry

bravo. We'll done. Couple of thoughts. Prior to getting injured I believe Ryan was creating a lot of offence that wasn't ending up in the net. Boucher said as much.

I am surprised with Brassard. I expected more. Couple years back in the playoffs I remember watching the Rangers and being verify impressed. Transitioning to a new team can be hard. I expect a much better second half.

I am really disappointed with Pageau. He easily could have 5 more goals. He is making plays but not finishing and other guys are making plays and feeding him in good spots but he is not finishing.

I might move Ceci up a notch. His good games are good. Just needs more consistency
The good news to me is that I think half the roster has more to give and at the 30 game mark, being inside the playoffs, and believing we can be quite a bit better...I'll take it

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Yes Xspyrit has a good way of looking at it, except Karlsson is sort of meeting my expectations as is Smith. I was hoping for more from Pageau too. But most importantly the team as a whole is coming together more as the system takes hold i guess bringing pretty much all up a from a bit below expectations to a bit above.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Karlsson: A
Anderson: A- (A+ for Karma)
Dzingel: A
Turris: B
Methot: A
Condon: A
Stone: B
Hoffman: B
Wideman: B
Phaneuf: C+
Borowiecki: C
Pyatt: C
Neil: B
Pageau: C-
Smith: C
Ceci: C+
Kelly: C-
Brassard: D
Ryan: D

Boucher: A-
Dorion: A- (for in season moves. Getting Condon may have saved season so far)

I see no reason all of the C and D players can't have good rest of the season. I expect most will be better as the season goes on.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He's been very invisible so far, which isn't good when you have Turris invisible for some games and Pageau invisible for most games.

This move really replaced potential in our center depth with stability, which I guess was the goal. The knock on Zib around here was consistency and although Brassard has not been as good as we hoped, at least he's been consistent at doing what he does. The problem is that he's been closer to a middle six player instead of a top six one.

I hate this trade. I would have moved Turris, and it wouldn't have been for Brassard. But that's for a different thread.

I don't think he's been as invisible as you say. He's a work horse. You can see it in his compete level on most nights. His lack of production is disappointing but not his compete.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario

You, and a few others here, seem to be awful hard on Stone. He's on pace for ~70pts. He had a slow start, which could be explained by the concussion, but if a 70 point pace is barely meeting expectations, I'm not sure what people want from him. He's at 13pts in the past 10 games. At the very least I would give him the 7, meaning exactly meeting expectations.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
Anderson: A+ For what he's going through, and to play they way he has.
Condon: A For saving our season while Andy's been gone.
Hammond: F For putting himself ahead of the team and not accepting a conditioning stint.

Karlsson: A+ Best player of our generation in the making.
Methot: A Steady as she goes
Wideman: C He's exceed expectations...he may deserve a higher grade.
Phaneuf: C- Game is too fast for him. Big help on the PP. Needs to use his size more.
Borowiecki: C+ He's done a good job. Don't see him going beyond a 5/6 guy.
Ceci: C+ Steady on the back end, needs to pick it up on the offensive boards.

Dzingel: B His speed and size is sorely needed in the Top-6. Biggest surprise of the year.
Turris: A He hasn't disappointed since arriving him. Smartest player on the team.
Stone: B Good and steady
Hoffman: B Slow start, but he's picked it up
Pyatt: B Great addition to the bottom 6.
Neil: B Steady
Pageau: C Expecting more.
Smith: C+ Expecting more
Kelly: C Kelly is Kelly. Steady, know what you're getting.
Brassard: C- I would have kept Zibby. He's been okay.
Ryan: C- Killing me in my pool. His skating has always been so-so. Conditioning is a huge question mark.

Boucher: A+ He's done things other coach have stressed over and over, and that's play a 2-way gave. For what the Sens have, he deserves the highest grade.

Dorion: A+
Where the Sens are sitting, and the time frame he's had as GM, can't think of giving him any other grade. As mentioned. Condon pick up has been huge.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Phaneuf continues to be disgustingly underrated. I don't understand what people watch?

Yup. Just watch (key word is watch) the man play. He's such a pain in the ass to play against. He's downright mean, and even could be called dirty-ish. We haven't had that type of player since Chara left.

On the ice during play, or even after the whistles, this guy's presence is friggin noticeable. He doesn't let up, and knows how rough guys up while playing within the rules.

Love having him on this team, insanely good pickup for us.

Brassard is easily the biggest disappointment so far, but having said that, Im definitely willing to give him more time. Keep him with Stone, and Ryan with Turris, and I think the second half of season goes better for everyone involved.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
yeah phaneuf has been real good lately :thumbu:

At the risk of turning this thread into a Phaneuf love-in I have to agree as well. He is a mean SOB and we really needed that on the back line with Karlsson being our #1 D. Say what you will about all of his other traits, but Karlsson will never be an intimidating physical force :laugh: The first week or two of the season was a bit rough but he has really rebounded and played well this season.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
Erik Karlsson - A (Franchise player, he's never been this good defensively)
Ryan Dzingel - A- (Honestly, he's been our most consistently dangerous forward)
Craig Anderson - A- (Strong start for Andy and has been heart of the team)

Mark Stone - B+ (Rough start due to concussion, has been elite since)
Mike Condon - B (Good trade, has been a solid back-up)
Kyle Turris - B (Much of the same from KT)
Dion Phaneuf - B (Slow start but has been so good in the past 15 games)
Mike Hoffman - B (Streaky but the effort has been there all year)
Marc Methot - B (Excellent as always, very solid and calm presence)
Cody Ceci - B- (Logging big minutes and doing alright after a very rough start)

Zack Smith - C+ (Solid 3rd line player, not scoring as much but it's expected)
Chris Wideman - C+ (Should get more ice-time IMO)
Tom Pyatt - C+ (Much more noticeable to start the year but he's a decent 4th line guy)
Chris Neil - C+ (He's been better this year than years past)
JG Pageau - C (I expected more from him this season, he's been physical but lacking offensively)
Derick Brassard - C (Been producing more lately and gives a solid effort but we need more from him. He tries hard and I think he ends with 45pts)
Bobby Ryan - C (Broke his finger again but I think he will finish the season strong. He is a big part of our team and potential success)
Chris Kelly - C (Veteran player, good on the PK. Maybe he can influence Lazar?)

Curtis Lazar - C- (Good energy player but we need him to be a lil more than that)
Mark Borowiecki - C- (Was solid to start the year but he's been making terrible plays recently. He needs to stop going out of position so often)

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Karlsson 10

Anderson 9

Stone 8
Turris 8
Dzingel 8
Condon 8

Hoffman 7
Pageau 7
Wideman 7
Methot 7
Phaneuf 7
Smith 7

Ryan 6
Pyatt 6
Neil 6

Ceci 5
Kelly 5
Brassard 5
Lazar 5

Boro 4
Hammond 4

Coaching staff 8

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Pageau is getting underrated on here big time this year. The PK has been hugely improved and he's been a big part of that. He also plays a lot of hard minutes with DZ deployment. He plays Boucher's system to a T and has become the coach's go-to when things are getting tough.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
You must have some insanely high and unrealistic expectations of everyone.

Poor Stone with that C+ being top 10 RW in the league in almost every category and with a concussion at the beginning of the season

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Karlsson A+ The best player on the team by a mile
Anderson: A exceptional season so far and with adversity
Condon: A Pretty impressive performance!
Hammond: n/a - would give him a low grade for attitude though

Methot: A The perfect ying to Karlsson's yang
Wideman: B+ Came out determined to show that he belongs in the NHL and has done that and more
Phaneuf: A- This is a huge reason Ottawa is winning. He's solidified our 2nd pairing, helped Ceci and is a nasty SOB to play against
Borowiecki: B One of the comebacks of the year. Physical, an above average outlet pass (he must have worked on it) and another mean SOB to play against
Ceci: B- Nothing special really. A solid young player who has potential to turn into an excellent player, but we'll see if that happens

Dzingel: A- How can anything he does be knocked? He doesn't have the experience of some of his counterparts, but he contributes just as well. His speed and tenacity is awesome!
Turris: A Excellent two way player who has a laser beam for a shot. Wish he was a little stronger, but a very solid C.
Stone: A Our best forward, nothing needs to be said that isn't already known.
Hoffman: B+ Has exploded recently into one of our most dangerous weapons. Great shot, showing determination to learn the 200 foot game too
Pyatt: A- PK, hard worker, forechecker, everything you could possibly ask for of a 4th liner
Neil: B Started the year as an A but has digressed slightly. Still a worthy 4th liner.
Pageau: B Is working his way back up to A territory after a slow start. A big time PKer and 3rd line C.
Smith: C+ Recent blazing hot streak aside, I thought Smith and Pageau would seek and destroy this year together. So far Pageau has stepped up and Smith seems to be starting.
Kelly: B+ Kelly is a major addition to the team for maturity, PKing and a strong 4th line shift. Very impressed with Battleship!
Brassard: D Nothing to see here. What a shame so far, he could (and hopefully will be) a massive piece of the Senators, but has fizzled thus far
Ryan: D I don't understand what's happened to his skating. Is he injured and we don't know about it? Massively disappointing.

Boucher: A+ Ridiculous how refreshing it is to have Boucher and Crawford as real NHL coaches. I can't remember the last time we had coaching like this...

Dorion: A- Very smooth transaction acquiring Brassard. Looked like the right move at the time, but hindsight is 20/20. Condon acquisition was massive. Kelly and Pyatt were really necessary and a lot of us didn't realize it. Will be interesting to see what he does if we remain a playoff team.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Karlsson A+ The best player on the team by a mile
Anderson: A exceptional season so far and with adversity
Condon: A Pretty impressive performance!
Hammond: n/a - would give him a low grade for attitude though

Methot: A The perfect ying to Karlsson's yang
Wideman: B+ Came out determined to show that he belongs in the NHL and has done that and more
Phaneuf: A- This is a huge reason Ottawa is winning. He's solidified our 2nd pairing, helped Ceci and is a nasty SOB to play against
Borowiecki: B One of the comebacks of the year. Physical, an above average outlet pass (he must have worked on it) and another mean SOB to play against
Ceci: B- Nothing special really. A solid young player who has potential to turn into an excellent player, but we'll see if that happens

Dzingel: A- How can anything he does be knocked? He doesn't have the experience of some of his counterparts, but he contributes just as well. His speed and tenacity is awesome!
Turris: A Excellent two way player who has a laser beam for a shot. Wish he was a little stronger, but a very solid C.
Stone: A Our best forward, nothing needs to be said that isn't already known.
Hoffman: B+ Has exploded recently into one of our most dangerous weapons. Great shot, showing determination to learn the 200 foot game too
Pyatt: A- PK, hard worker, forechecker, everything you could possibly ask for of a 4th liner
Neil: B Started the year as an A but has digressed slightly. Still a worthy 4th liner.
Pageau: B Is working his way back up to A territory after a slow start. A big time PKer and 3rd line C.
Smith: C+ Recent blazing hot streak aside, I thought Smith and Pageau would seek and destroy this year together. So far Pageau has stepped up and Smith seems to be starting.
Kelly: B+ Kelly is a major addition to the team for maturity, PKing and a strong 4th line shift. Very impressed with Battleship!
Brassard: D Nothing to see here. What a shame so far, he could (and hopefully will be) a massive piece of the Senators, but has fizzled thus far
Ryan: D I don't understand what's happened to his skating. Is he injured and we don't know about it? Massively disappointing.

Boucher: A+ Ridiculous how refreshing it is to have Boucher and Crawford as real NHL coaches. I can't remember the last time we had coaching like this...

Dorion: A- Very smooth transaction acquiring Brassard. Looked like the right move at the time, but hindsight is 20/20. Condon acquisition was massive. Kelly and Pyatt were really necessary and a lot of us didn't realize it. Will be interesting to see what he does if we remain a playoff team.

This 100%

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I have heard that ceci is the only player to not have a point at 5v5 this year with minimum 300 minutes played. In the whole league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad