Grade the Trade Deadline

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's been a few hours and things have settled, what do you think? Though obviously everything that happened happened awhile ago :P.

Moves:
Acquired F Teemu Pulkkinen from Minnesota for future considerations.

Traded Fs Martin Hanzal and Ryan White and a 2017 fourth-round draft pick to Minnesota for F Grayson Downing, a 2017 first-round draft pick, a 2018 second-round draft pick and a 2019 conditional fourth-round draft pick.

Michael Stone, D

Traded to Calgary (CGY) from Arizona (AZ) for 2018 3rd round pick and 2018 5th round pick

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Fine with the Hanzal trade although I would have liked an asset that would have been useful to the team before the move back to Canaderrrr. Stone was meh. Not moving Vrbata was assinine. Dumping Goligoski or McGinn would have made an instant 10. Both of them make it another horrible FA crop brought in. Hopefully they can spend better this off season. Unless they move. Then I don't give a damn.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
A+ on Hanzal return.

C on Stone.

I'm sort of the opposite on that. I thought they did reasonably well on Stone all things considered, maybe a little more could have been bled out of it but whatever.

Hanzal I considered that basically the baseline return and since it was more important I'm settling on a 6.

Not concerned about the non-trades.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm sort of the opposite on that. I thought they did reasonably well on Stone all things considered, maybe a little more could have been bled out of it but whatever.

Hanzal I considered that basically the baseline return and since it was more important I'm settling on a 6.

Not concerned about the non-trades.

AZ received same return Boston received for Doug Hamilton. A player who had numerous years left of control. Hanzal is a UFA in 2months. How that deal could be viewed as anything other than a clear win is surprising.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
The bad:
Losing Hanzal sucks but was necessary. Was expecting a bigger return.
Not trading Vrbata was kind of redundant, but i like the guy and he's a good mentor so im not too mad. Especially if his return only warranted a 2nd.
Didn't like losing White.

The good:
We got a 1st for Hanzal
Pulkkinen has potential
Duclair, and DeAngelo get their redemption
We probably tank pretty hard.

5/10

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
AZ received same return Boston received for Doug Hamilton. A player who had numerous years left of control. Hanzal is a UFA in 2months. How that deal could be viewed as anything other than a clear win is surprising.

I would argue that Calgary stole Hamilton. I think he is worth more. That said, I'm pleased with the Hanzal return.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Hanzal deal was good, while a closer to nhl ready prospect would've been nice they weren't really available. Even Shattenkirk didn't fetch any more than Hanzal.

Stone deal was poor, but he's also been pretty crappy this year.

Vrbata being retained is ok I guess if trading him would've pissed him off, but it's still disappointing we couldn't grab a 2nd for him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Pierre just called the Coyotes the biggest losers of the deadline.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Hanzal as a stand alone is a 10 for me. He returned more than Shattenkirk. Stone is a an 8. Fair value. I docked points for not getting Doan onto a Cup contender. We owed him that much for his years of sticking by the team, and the market.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
McGuire? Meh.

The Yahoo writer was pretty hard on them as well but I don't really get it. Though he went on about the Doan thing which made no sense to me since Doan is pretty clearly not worth anything.

If the tweet in the other thread is right and a 2nd wasn't on the table; saying the Coyotes are a big, let alone biggest loser is pretty laughable. I think the bigger takeaway is most of the deals around the league were pretty reasonable and if the biggest loser you can come up with is missing out on a 2nd then you're just filling time basically.

Like 95% of the TDL TV coverage today :laugh:

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
7/10.

Really didn't want to trade White. But the return was good.

Not upset Vrby didn't get traded. Not upset Doan didn't get traded. At the end of the day, they've been here for so long and I think they can dictate what their futures with the club is like. Stone being traded to Calgary for dirt cheap also kind of tells me that Chayka and Tip looked out for the best interest of these guys. Stone gets moved to where his family can help his young family, Doan and Vrby get to stay home and be near their families.

White is the ONLY negative in my opinion.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I wasn't a fan of White early in the year, but the last 20 games or so he's actually been very good, but whatever.

Hanzal deal was about as good as you were gonna get on Hanzal. If Hanzal didn't have the "injury bug" label, he would have went for much more and likely we would have signed him to another contract.

That said, a 1st, 2nd and potential 2nd is a good deal (overall 9), the only way it would have been a 10 is if they had received a prospect that was closer to playing on the big club.

The Stone trade was a "solid" done to Stone, but he was worth much more than the 3rd and conditional 5th...but again, the "injury issue" caused his value to drop not to mention his play and production this year. (overall 6) and because we had to toss in White in the deal and couldn't get a pick for Vrby the overall score is a "C" or 7.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I started out a bit disappointed but seeing how the deadline unfolded it would seem it wasn't quite the sellers market most of us had hoped for, at least not in regards to prospects. I'm still holding out hope that Hanzal comes back at a reasonable deal and Chayka uses the various picks to get something interesting done in the off season.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I figured Hanzal would get a 1st, Vrbata a 2nd, and Stone a 2nd

Hanzal got a 1st a 2nd and 2/3 rounder. Stone got a 3rd.

So it's fine. What I expected.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's been a few hours and things have settled, what do you think? Though obviously everything that happened happened awhile ago :P.

Moves:

This a a tough one. I thought TTD overall was bad. GM's seemed to be much more cautious this year.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Don't know why Vrbata was not moved. Would love to know what was offered.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Keep in mind that Tippett has the final say. So if the GM had a deal but Tippett refused it, then it's on Tippett.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Pierre just called the Coyotes the biggest losers of the deadline.

He's probably not counting the Hanzal deal in his comment since it didn't happen at the exact deadline, and given that half the hockey world can't figure out why we didn't deal Vrbata for ANYTHING (some of the sentiments I've read believe we should have dumped him at all costs just because he's UFA) he's not a lone loony crying in the woods.

Pierre's assessment is based more on video game logic than real life, though. Plus, he's something of a dink, so I think we all can be safe in ignoring him.

Keep in mind that Tippett has the final say. So if the GM had a deal but Tippett refused it, then it's on Tippett.

I don't honestly think Tippett had the final say on this. I think Chayka weighed the offers and believed that Vrbata on the team was worth more in terms of the room and of his chances to get a good deal in UFA bringing him back than a desultory draft pick. I also have it in the back of my mind that Chayka might not want other GMs to believe that he'd make a deal simply to make a deal - he's already considered something of a mark, so sticking to his guns on Vrbata could be a statement move from him.

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
He's probably not counting the Hanzal deal in his comment since it didn't happen at the exact deadline, and given that half the hockey world can't figure out why we didn't deal Vrbata for ANYTHING (some of the sentiments I've read believe we should have dumped him at all costs just because he's UFA) he's not a lone loony crying in the woods.

Pierre's assessment is based more on video game logic than real life, though. Plus, he's something of a dink, so I think we all can be safe in ignoring him.

I don't honestly think Tippett had the final say on this. I think Chayka weighed the offers and believed that Vrbata on the team was worth more in terms of the room and of his chances to get a good deal in UFA bringing him back than a desultory draft pick. I also have it in the back of my mind that Chayka might not want other GMs to believe that he'd make a deal simply to make a deal - he's already considered something of a mark, so sticking to his guns on Vrbata could be a statement move from him.

Thanks. Well said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad