grade the deadline

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
B. Got the job done and moved those that had to go. Played chicken with Boston over Stewart and lost but still got something back that is useful (unlike Garth and Vanek last year). I won't fault for pushing the envelope. We won't get better by not taking risk. Overall pleased with the outcome on what he had to work with for assets considering the heavy and creative lifting was a couple weeks ago.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Nice that he got a decent return for Stewart, but in reality these are all just some hardcore tank moves to counter Arizona. The likelihood of any of the returns to be any part of our future other is very small, but getting rid of our two most (?) defensively responsible forwards and downgrading (hopefully massively) in goal was by far the most important thing today. Maybe by 2017, we will be buyers and the Stewart pick will be nice to have.

matthew94

Jul 2, 2005
WNY
www.matthew94.blogspot.com
I was a little disappointed (but this was Regier's strength, so my expectations were a bit high).

I liked that he traded Neuvirth. I think the value there was fine.

I'm fine with trading Flynn for whatever... and hope he enjoys a playoff run.

I was a little surprised Mitchell's return was SO small.

And I think, in retrospect, Murray should have traded Stewart & Neuvirth a couple weeks ago. Stewart had been playing his best for most of 2015 and I really wonder if there were some better offers for him at earlier dates than what we ended up with. Though Murray would never admit it, I'd bet there were. I think he was hoping the prices would continue to go up, but they actually went down as the deadline approached.

I also would have loved to see him creatively get rid of Hodgson, but I understand there might not have been takers and we might be able to get his value up a little bit here in the last part of the season for a summer trade.

I'd say he gets a C grade. He did average... OK. He did what was obvious is a somewhat underwhelming way.

Puddy

Oct 24, 2002
parts unknown
Visit site
I gave Tim an 'F' because I wanted him to get rid of Meszaros, Benoit and Weber.
I understand the trades that were completed, but none of them really returned us any great assets.

The return on Stewart was weak. I will happily give up next year's second round pick if it gives me a forward that can kick Lucic's ass.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, that Mitchell return, more I think about it....

Only way I could live with it is if Murray made a nod wink with Mitchell about sending him to his hometown in exchange for him giving some consideration to the sabres in July. That's really not a return any NHL player should ever get, and Mitchell can be an effective bottom 6 guy, good energy, smart head, bears down on his few chances. If any team wanted him at all, he deserved a fifth at least.

Everything else is in the ballpark. It's just that one deal that stands out so strongly, it almost makes you wonder if there isn't more to it. Like some others have said, I'd take Mitchell over Stewart if I were building a contender. Just bizarre. Also make me wonder if Murray didn't set himself up for a nonnegotiable, awful offer like that when he went to the media and said he wanted to get rid of all his ufas even if he had to take back a sixth.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I gave Tim an 'F' because I wanted him to get rid of Meszaros, Benoit and Weber.
I understand the trades that were completed, but none of them really returned us any great assets.

The return on Stewart was weak. I will happily give up next year's second round pick if it gives me a forward that can kick Lucic's ass.

Tells me all I need to know really.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Only way I could live with it is if Murray made a nod wink with Mitchell about sending him to his hometown in exchange for him giving some consideration to the sabres in July. That's really not a return any NHL player should ever get, and Mitchell can be an effective bottom 6 guy, good energy, smart head, bears down on his few chances. If any team wanted him at all, he deserved a fifth at least.

Everything else is in the ballpark. It's just that one deal that stands out so strongly, it almost makes you wonder if there isn't more to it. Like some others have said, I'd take Mitchell over Stewart if I were building a contender. Just bizarre. Also make me wonder if Murray didn't set himself up for a nonnegotiable, awful offer like that when he went to the media and said he wanted to get rid of all his ufas even if he had to take back a sixth.

Mitchell and Flynn were literally about getting any semblance of two way forwards off of this team. With Girgensons out, they were our two best, a threat to the goal. It's extrmely unlikely those returns ever amount to anything.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Torrey Mitchell passed thru waivers before we got him.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

It's pretty easy for me to live with the return for Torrey Mtichell because I couldn't care less about him not being here for the last month of the season. Wait, I could care less. I don't want him here for the last month of the season, because he's exactly the guy who juices up our chances at fluke wins. Even without that consideration, why would anyone care? Either he comes back or doesn't, big whoop. I appreciate how he plays the game but he's not exactly a precious resource. There are Torrey Mitchells being signed three weeks into free agency. There is every chance he had no interest whatsoever in returning to our team next year.

Murray isn't concerned with the perception of how it'd look if he said he'd trade all his UFAs and then didn't. How do I know? Because he didn't trade all his UFAs.

I do agree with you that I'd rather have Mitchell for my Cup run than Stewart. I think the difference is there are a lot of Mitchells out there and not a lot of Stewarts. Most teams already have their fill of speedy, undersized two-way guys at the bottom of their rosters, so I think that limits the market.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I'm all for rolling my eyes at the fawning over base level moves but those f's are gonna need some explanation

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
B- would have liked to seen Stewart, Mitchell, and Neuvirth shipped out earlier

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I gave an F because they're trying to fail

And none of these moves were interesting. I guess Flynn was a little surprising in that other teams would give up anything for him.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I gave an F because they're trying to fail

And none of these moves were interesting. I guess Flynn was a little surprising in that other teams would give up anything for him.

Did they fail at failing? If not, an F doesn't make much sense. They completed their objectives, insured nothing of remote value will be lost in free agency, and got market value such as it was.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
I felt fairly average, but the Neuvirth trade showed some balls. I voted B, but it's likely closer to B+. It's funny to judge the success of this trade deadline upon how ****** this team ends up being.

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium
I give him a B+

Stewart for a 2nd is more than i had hoped.
Getting mitchell out helps our opponents to score on us.
Neuvirth out the same, allthough im not sure Johnson is such a dud, atleast we got our back up for next year already.
Flynn is a career AHL'r / 4th line call up guy so be glad you got anything for him.

Cap'n

Jun 8, 2007
Anderson, SC
I went with B-. Moving Stewart, Mitchell was expected and should have happened two weeks ago to give us a running head start on Arizona. Neuvirth being dealt is beneficial but if he ends up lowering the Isles first it could backfire on us a bit, would have preferred a different destination is all. Like the Flynn move from asset standpoint as well as for the tank.

Didn't factor into my grading but didn't like trashing one of our current players in a press conference. Not sure what could be accomplished by that.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I started with a C, he moved who he had too. Went down to a C- with the 50% retained and settled at D+ for trading a goalie to a team that controls one of our late 1sts. Failing to understand how he is getting any grade above a C, these were average returns at best.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I gave a C- under the assumption that C is average. While we traded the right players, the return wasn't good, which evens it out to a C. The - for trading a good goalie to a team that controls one of our first round picks. I would rather have sent Neuvirth to Arizona for free. ;)

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
I think it was pretty average -- so a C.

He did what he needed to do, and I wasnt expecting much of a return with the players he had to trade, but considering the prices around the league, I feel our players returns were low ball offers that Murray was forced to take.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Voted in the "A" column. Nothing exciting, but GMTM did well with asset management. We didn't lose anyone for nothing and we basically cemented our place at the bottom.

His offseason grade will be a big indicator of how long or short our rebuild will be before we are competitive again. Bring on the summer!!!!

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
To those claiming that Buffalo should have moved Stewart weeks ago: is it not conceivable to you that maybe the reason Murray got a second for him was because he waited until the last minute to trade him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad