Flyers' History: Grade The 2024 Trade Deadline

Grade

• Total voters

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Yea I think everyone wants them to win in the playoffs but guess what that hasn't happened since 2012. One of the main reasons why is following this lame middle of the road path where they neither commit to an all in push or commit to a dedicated full rebuild. And the moves this deadline further cemented the medicore path the team has been on and that's frustrating.

Even if they make the playoffs the odds are they likely get bounced in the 1st rd again. And if they somehow manage to win a miracle rd this just isn't a team properly built to go deep. I'd rather have a team built for sustained success then put my hopes in some fluke playoff run.
if you are saying crosby is the reason why they won a cup in 09 then why it did take another 7 years for him to win another cup in 16?

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
The Walker trade was decent.

The rest was bad-to-awful.

That’s who they are as an organization though. Took me years to accept it but this is who they are. Can’t be mad anymore when they repeatedly show that they’re still failures.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Boston hit big on a 2OA, 5OA, and 9OA. They took McAvoy at 14 despite many scouts and services like Button having him in the low 20s.

They plucked a home run out of a significantly riskier league at 25 OA, and as we know they should have drafted K’Andre Miller instead. They landed a once in a lifetime moon shot in Lucic at 51 OA. He had NINETEEN Points in 62 Games in his draft year. And of course Bergeron (2nd), Marchand (3rd), and Krejci (2nd) were taken with picks that don’t matter.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Could probably look at Boston as the real example of building without top picks. They have been a contender forever it seems.

Yeh, they are pretty much the only team post-lockout who have had extended success doing it semi-"old fashioned way"...

but at the same time, especially their first "window" from ~2007-2014 a lot of that success was built through the draft and a combo of skill and luck there.

Bergeron (#45 2003), Krejci (#63 2004), Marchand (#71 2006) and Lucic (#50 2006) were 4 of the 5 most important skaters when they had their first big window. And then Chara was a UFA signing.

Good luck to any team drafting: a HHoF 1C, a league average 1C over prime, a close to HHoF winger and an All-star winger... all with picks after #45, over a 4 year span!

And they also drafted Kessel, Seguin and Hamilton top 10... all of whom turned into great players and they traded for assets that helped too.

Their "current" window of 2017 to present? Started with 3 of those 4 guys still there and still very important. 1 still is...

Annnd added to by, yeh, the draft and hitting on some stars with Pastrnak (#25 2014) and McAvoy (#14 2016)... who are their best fwd and best Dman.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Do you mind pointing out where he mentions Crosby?
Also what argument is he trying to make? My argument was sustained team success. Since Crosby has played for the Penguins (and its not just Crosby alone but he singled him out) the penguins have made the playoffs 15 out of his 18 seasons, and have won 3 out of the 4 Stanley Cup finals they've been in.

So yea turns out having good players leads to good teams leads to long term success. Meanwhile in Flyers land...

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
D Grade for me.

They (in a “rebuild”) moved one guy. One. The return is what it is, but it’s ohh so Hextall/Fletcher-esque with one foot in, and one foot out.

If it’s not a rebuild, then a team with a highly suspect talent base, and a goaltending injury away from failure should have been more aggressive to address those issues.

I just wish we would stop this charade about a rebuild. You aren’t building shit drafting 15th overall or later. Not with this dumbass scouting group. They blew ass chunks on the trade with Gauthier, so Matvei is really all you have anyway.

Be aggressive next summer, and move this thing forward while Konecny, and Couturier can give you something.

Slowly developing more secondary bullshit, while letting prime pieces age out is asinine.

smokey

Oct 24, 2016
Helsinki
Ya, before this team is in a position to start making noise in the po's i'm just gonna assume we looped back 10 years to the 13-14 season and the early days of the Hextall rebuild. That's how little reason for hope they've given us over the years.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Boston hit big on a 2OA, 5OA, and 9OA. They took McAvoy at 14 despite many scouts and services like Button having him in the low 20s.

They plucked a home run out of a significantly riskier league at 25 OA, and as we know they should have drafted K’Andre Miller instead. They landed a once in a lifetime moon shot in Lucic at 51 OA. He had NINETEEN Points in 62 Games in his draft year. And of course Bergeron (2nd), Marchand (3rd), and Krejci (2nd) were taken with picks that don’t matter.
Imagine how much better they could have been if they didn't completely bomb that 2015 first round....I mean, they got DeBrusk out of it, but those other two picks....yikes

BlackandOrange

Jul 12, 2018
Breadalbane, PE
C Grade. Edit: C Minus
Thought Colorado won the Walker trade. I would have taken someone younger over E Johnson or a change of scenery trade but understood why they made the trade. I would have resigned Seeler and am relatively fine with it. I like the Allison for DG trade as low risk and no long term consequences. Retaining salary I thought we didn't get much but the market price for salary retention was lower this year than in the past. Comcast has deep pockets so I am glad they used them. Laughton I like but would have moved if someone knocked my socks off. Staal and Johnson both in the lineup worries me, shades of old decrepit Hal Gill. Edit: No backup goalie?

Last edited:

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Yeh, they are pretty much the only team post-lockout who have had extended success doing it semi-"old fashioned way"...

but at the same time, especially their first "window" from ~2007-2014 a lot of that success was built through the draft and a combo of skill and luck there.

Bergeron (#45 2003), Krejci (#63 2004), Marchand (#71 2006) and Lucic (#50 2006) were 4 of the 5 most important skaters when they had their first big window. And then Chara was a UFA signing.

Good luck to any team drafting: a HHoF 1C, a league average 1C over prime, a close to HHoF winger and an All-star winger... all with picks after #45, over a 4 year span!

And they also drafted Kessel, Seguin and Hamilton top 10... all of whom turned into great players and they traded for assets that helped too.

Their "current" window of 2017 to present? Started with 3 of those 4 guys still there and still very important. 1 still is...

Annnd added to by, yeh, the draft and hitting on some stars with Pastrnak (#25 2014) and McAvoy (#14 2016)... who are their best fwd and best Dman.
I think any team that has sustained success has to have a bit of luck in the later rounds. Tampa getting Point and Kucherov outside of the 1st round, Detroit getting Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

I have no doubt that the draft is absolutely the way to build a contender, but you have to strike a balance too. Fans slating the team this year for winning, just surreal. We have a relatively strong core of complimentary players, 4 first rounders in the next 2 years, a possibly top level player joining in 2 years(maybe sooner). We have a goalkeeper who might actually be the real deal, with two solid prospects in the system. We effectively need a little bit of luck with our late firsts.

Winning breeds winning unfortunately. Your organisation becomes an attractive location for free agents and college free agents, only if you are a good team.

Buffalo have been "rebuilding" for almost 20 years and they are still dog shit. Edmonton have been gifted 400 1st overalls, their lack of success is astounding with a generational talent. Arizona are a mess. Hell, Toronto are marked as pretenders every year.

I genuinely think the flyers are a real top line forward and a defenseman away from being a genuinely good team. Hopefully Michov is one. Finding that defenseman is key.

Reactions: flyersnorth

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Tampa. Pittsburgh. Chicago. Washington. Colorado.

j4DDxRsjgYTfkSXGXkKLmh-1200-80.jpg

Hell Toronto, and Edmonton haven’t won bc their top end draft picks. They have all too familiar moronic FOs that can’t fill out a lineup.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think any team that has sustained success has to have a bit of luck in the later rounds. Tampa getting Point and Kucherov outside of the 1st round, Detroit getting Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

I have no doubt that the draft is absolutely the way to build a contender, but you have to strike a balance too. Fans slating the team this year for winning, just surreal. We have a relatively strong core of complimentary players, 4 first rounders in the next 2 years, a possibly top level player joining in 2 years(maybe sooner). We have a goalkeeper who might actually be the real deal, with two solid prospects in the system. We effectively need a little bit of luck with our late firsts.

Winning breeds winning unfortunately. Your organisation becomes an attractive location for free agents and college free agents, only if you are a good team.

Buffalo have been "rebuilding" for almost 20 years and they are still dog shit. Edmonton have been gifted 400 1st overalls, their lack of success is astounding with a generational talent. Arizona are a mess. Hell, Toronto are marked as pretenders every year.

I genuinely think the flyers are a real top line forward and a defenseman away from being a genuinely good team. Hopefully Michov is one. Finding that defenseman is key.

I would say, realistically, they do have a very nice group of secondary players right now.

BUT I think they are really:

Michkov
A legit young 1C
A legit young 1D

away from being a future contender... and they are the two hardest things to find. But I really hope they can.

This draft is probably going to produce the most top pairing D men since 2008... but would have been ideal to be top ~12 to have a great chance of getting a guy with a good chance of being a #1.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I would say, realistically, they do have a very nice group of secondary players right now.

BUT I think they are really:

Michkov
A legit young 1C
A legit young 1D

away from being a future contender... and they are the two hardest things to find. But I really hope they can.

This draft is probably going to produce the most top pairing D men since 2008... but would have been ideal to be top ~12 to have a great chance of getting a guy with a good chance of being a #1.
Well, let's hope Danny can find a way to get into that top 12 in the draft. A true top #1 covers for so much its scary.

Everytime I watch Hedman play I'm convinced he is on the ice for 50 minutes of the game.

Reactions: Appleyard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad