Garrison C
Stanton B
Weber C+
Corrado C+

Lack B
Markstrom INC

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I can't understand why so many are giving Kesler a good grade. He's gone long stretches without doing much, but to me the most telling factor of his play is that he has 11 even-strength assists all season. That's horrible for a scoring-line centre in his prime years. 105 minutes EV TOI per assist...

Yes, he put up some goals, but he doesn't make players around him better.

Also consider that he is far below his career bests of 41 goals and 75 points. Underachieving at best.

He's also gone long stretches without playing with a bonafide Top-6 linemate. He hasn't had a great season, but as i rated it...a B- campaign. At least he wasn't hurt most of the season, and if you're expecting Kesler to pile up assists, you've got the wrong idea about what sort of player he is.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
Just for fun.

Gillis: C-
Torts: C

Henrik: B-
Daniel: C
Burrows: C-
Kesler: C+
Hansen: C-
Santorelli: B+
Jensen: B-
Sestito: B+
Dalpe: C+
Richardson: B+
Booth: C
Welsh: C
Archibald: C+
Matthias: B
Higgins: B+
Kassian: B-
Schroeder: C-

Hamhuis: C
Bieksa: C
Edler: C-
Garrison: C
Weber: C+
Stanton: C+
Tanev: B-

Lack: B

Sarke

Feb 6, 2011
Vancouver, BC
www.nhl-stats.com
He's also gone long stretches without playing with a bonafide Top-6 linemate. He hasn't had a great season, but as i rated it...a B- campaign. At least he wasn't hurt most of the season, and if you're expecting Kesler to pile up assists, you've got the wrong idea about what sort of player he is.
No, when he first enter the NHL he had 0 passing ability.

At the start of the season, would you say 40 points and -16 for Kesler was an above-average season for him?

I just can't see how people give him a B or even an A. If this is an A season for him, what does a 40 goal season give him?

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Gillis: C-
Torts: C-

Henrik: C+
Daniel: D
Burrows: C
Kesler: B-
Hansen: C-
Santarelli: A-
Jensen: C+
Sestito: B
Dalpe: C
Richardson: B+
Booth: C
Welsh: C+
Archibald: C+
Kassian: B-
Schroeder: D
Lain: C+

Hamhuis: B+
Bieksa: B-
Edler: D
Stanton: B
Tanev: A-
Alberts: C-
Corrado: C
Sauve: C-

Markstrom: I

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
Alberts: C
Archibald: C
Booth: C-
Burrows: F
Corrado: C
Dalpe: C+
Edler: C
Eriksson: I
Ferriero: I
Hamhuis: B
Hansen: C
Higgins: B
Jensen: B+
Kassian: B
Kesler: B
Lain: I
Markstrom: I
Pelletier: I
Richardson: B
Santorelli: A
Sauve: I
Schroeder: C-
Sedin, D: F
Sedin, H: C+
Sestito: B
Stanton: B
Tanev: B
Welsh: I

Weise: C
Diaz: I
Luongo: C

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
You have to admit that Tanev's surprise this year (even in they eyes of those who possibly predicted it. I am one of those people) is comparable to Santorelli.

i don't think it is. santorelli was a guy who couldn't crack the jets and was waived by florida. tanev's development was accelerated, but id be surprised if the majority of people didn't expect him to get to this point eventually

people expected tanev to take another step and he took two. people expected santorelli to be waiver fodder or an ahl player

I could see an argument for that, though he had really cooled off with 2 goals in his last 16 games, and 2 points in his last 12 games. Tough to say how he would have finished the season.

the way i see it is: people expected tom sestito to be on the roster over santorelli at the beginning of the year

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This season was about what I expected. I thought we were a .500 hockey club at the start and it's looking like we'll be close to it at the end. The entire team deserves C's & D's all across the board with exceptions for Kesler (B), Lack (B), Tanev (B+), and Edler (F). Yes Edler an F. The only thing consistent about Edler is he's been consistently brutal.

Honorable mention for Sestito who gets a B from me. I thought he had a good year and did just about everything you can ask from a player asked to play 'that role.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Honorable mention for Sestito who gets a B from me. I thought he had a good year and did just about everything you can ask from a player asked to play 'that role.

got murdered in every conceivable way and looked really bad while doing it? i agree, my expectations for his role was 'slow ahl player'

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
got murdered in every conceivable way and looked really bad while doing it? i agree, my expectations for his role was 'slow ahl player'

he did just fine. Is he tops of the league? no but he does his job. no one smashed him. he isn't getting injured. he isn't being stretchered off. he went out and fought 19 times this season. 3 more than anyone else in the league.

who should we go out and get that'll do that? No one else seems to be willing to. He knows his role and he goes and does it. He needs to be less of a liability defensively but to say he was really bad this season is nonsense.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Find a plug like Sestito who isn't a liability on the ice? Thats why Sestito averages less time on the ice than any other regular....just like virtually every other knuckledragger in the league. You can't grade Sestito for what he "should be", but have to grade him for what he is...otherwise why always put a grade to a known failure? Especially when the failure isn't on him, its on the league for allowing players like Sestito to be "necessary".

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
he did just fine. Is he tops of the league? no but he does his job. no one smashed him. he isn't getting injured. he isn't being stretchered off. he went out and fought 19 times this season. 3 more than anyone else in the league.

who should we go out and get that'll do that? No one else seems to be willing to. He knows his role and he goes and does it. He needs to be less of a liability defensively but to say he was really bad this season is nonsense.

He also scored more goals than any enforcer we've had in the last decade. And outscored pretty much all the enforcers in the NHL this year. He threw some big hits, got involved when nobody else would. Is he a good hockey player? no he's not but he's a 12th forward fighter and those guys never are.

He was tied with Booth in goals in late March with 1/3 the ice time, worse line mates, and at 1/7th the cost while leading the league in PIMS and fights.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Canucks as a whole: C - Team battled injuries but ultimately didn't get it done.

Gillis: C - I won't lie, I liked the Luongo trade, but the timing was very off and it made made the Schneider trade a truly stupid move. He also failed to bring in new players when we started to trail off in January.
Torts: C+ - I liked the way the team came out under the new coach and really how they played in December, but now they look unmotivated and apathetic. I dont know what the deal is but I see him being on a tight leash now.

Hank: B - Outside of Santo he's been our clear MVP and had played well. He's been playing injured most of the season but has still been our main cog.
Daniel: F - Sorely disappointed with Daniel this season. He can't score, he's been a detractor to his line ever since the new year. Maybe both of the twins have been playing injured all season but Hank has still proven valuable while Daniel should be demoted.
Burrows: C+ - Really bad luck this year and just couldn't buy a goal for so long there. This seasons been rough for Burr but hes starting to come back, I'll cut him some slack because he has been very consistent for us.
Kesler: B - When Kesler started playing this season I really liked that he was putting more effort into sharing the puck and making plays, he still does his dumb blueline/dangle/shot/shinpads combo that is brutal and ineffective but he's been good this season. Would miss him if hes traded but the return will help the team more long term IMO
Higgins: B+ - Another great year for Higgins, really love his play and consistency.
Santorelli: A+ - Huge, huge surprise this season, had anyone told me in the Summer he would be on 50 point pace a little before the midway mark I would have said "Great to hear he's succeeding in Utica"
Kassian: B - He has stepped up this season, not incredibly, but he has strung together some nice streaks over the course of the year with consistent, good play. I think he's setting himself up to break out next season.
Hansen: D - Absolutely disappointed in Hansen. He has not been able to get into his groove and play consistently. Part of this is being put into a scoring role that he changes his game for, but thats not all on the coach. He needs to give it his all and do better.
Booth: D - I am not going to change my opinion based off of Booths play over the past few games, hes been dreadful all year. He cannot hit the broad side of a barn with his shot and kills the play consistently. Really he's probably been playing better lately because hes excited to get out of here.
Richardson: A- - Another very good offseason addition, his speed and defensive play has been very good. His offensive game has trailed off here and there but he's a guy who can pull a nice play or shot out of his bum and make it happen.
Schroeder: D+ - Rough start to the season with the injury and then he gave me some hope with that great game against Calgary (Calgary lol) but he hasn't found his game consistently. He has shown glimpses of playmaking and finishing potential but maybe he should have just been in Utica again this season.
Dalpe: C - Average player, good work ethic, decent shot but tries to go corner too often and misses the net. He has glimpses of the potential he was hyped for at the draft but I think at best he'll be a 3rd liner who hustles about but doesn't get a whole lot done.
Sestito: B - This guy has really impressed me. He's a goon, but he get's that he's a goon. He accepts his role and he will drop his gloves at any time in the game when he feels he needs to stand up for his teammates. He also has shown some nice hands at surprising moments.
Matthias: B - Pretty much what I wanted Hansen to play like under Torts. He hustles, hits, and plays balls to the walls. Liking him a lot and really glad we got him, I wanted him last season when the reports were that he could be had for a 2nd.
Jensen: B+ (In the NHL at least) - I won't lie, I wasn't happy when he was called up. Boy was I wrong. He single handedly woke up the first line and got this team fired up. His shot is top level and his defence is much better than I anticipated (although I had noted that he respected the offensive ability of NHLers and could play well in a 3rd line role during his last call up, albeit only two games long)
Archibald: C- - Played a little sub average. He could have hit or fought more but he was just a non factor for the most part.
Lain: C+ - Was impressed to see him take on Westgarth in his first shift, pretty chaotic :laugh: I liked his ability to drive the net at use his size/reach during his time here. Could be a decent 4th liner for us next year.

Hamhuis: C+ - Down year, I don't know if its Sullivan or what but he's been making bad reads and bad pinches far too often for the calibre of player that he is this year.
Bieksa: B - Heart of our team this season IMO. He's been playing his usual hot/casual but usually he's been good.
Edler: D - Very, very bad year for Eddie. Im not into advanced stats but he must be playing higher minutes vs higher qual comp this season for him to be this bad stat wise. This was an important season for him to step up and he didn't.
Garrison: C- - Nagging hip injury has detracted from his play this season apparently, I'm disappointed after how well he was playing at the end of last season but 3 coaches in three years can hurt too. Hoping for more next season.
Tanev: A- - Tanev has really played well. He's a shot blocking machine and has been a stud defensively. He's had a couple uncharacteristic lapses this season but otherwise has excelled.
Stanton: B+ - Very solid waiver wire pickup. Can't believe I wanted Urbom more than him. He had a very good start and is sort of settling into your average 6th dman but he's still better than Alberts and is good at his role.
Weber: B- - He's been better than I expected. Great speed, great shot, and the tenacity to get back and save the play if he makes a mistake. I like him, but I dont like that hes stealing Kayla Price from me :cry:
Alberts: I - Non factor this season. I get that he got that concussion and I feel bad for him but he shouldnt be re-signed.
Corrado: C- - Looked a little in over his head during his callup this time and I was a bit disappointed. Has looked fine in the AHL, hoping he comes back strong for training camp.

Lack: A
- Although he has had some softies lately, I love Eddie. He came in after hardly playing last season and has been a boss. I think Luongo getting traded shook him up a bit after how close they were but other than that he is extremely strong mentally. He will be a full fledged starter within two years, as for right now, I feel bad for him that Gillis has thrown him to the wolves and put him in this situation.
Markstrom: I - Haven't seen enough of him to rate. I know that he was a tough SOB to score on when Utica played San Antonio and I guess marks for being a giant.

Last edited:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Gillis: C+
Torterella: C+
Sullivan: C-
Gully: C+

Daniel: C-
Santorelli: A+
Kassian: C+
Sestito: A
Richardson: A
Lain: A+
Archibald: B+
Schroeder: C

Tanev: A
Garrison: B-
Weber: B-
Alberts: B
Diaz: B+

Luongo: C+
Ericsson: C

Canucks Team Average: C

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Gillis: C+
Torterella: C+
Sullivan: C-
Gully: C+

Daniel: C-
Santorelli: A+
Kassian: C+
Sestito: A
Richardson: A
Lain: A+
Archibald: B+
Schroeder: C

Tanev: A
Garrison: B-
Weber: B-
Alberts: B
Diaz: B+

Luongo: C+
Ericsson: C

Canucks Team Average: C

You're a generous grader.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Booth: D - I am not going to change my opinion based off of Booths play over the past few games, hes been dreadful all year. He cannot hit the broad side of a barn with his shot and kills the play consistently. Really he's probably been playing better lately because hes excited to get out of here.

Booth has come out mulitple times saying he wants to stay in Vancouver so yeah...

Definitely suprised at how high some of us are rating Gillis. I don't know if the positives (richardson, santorelli, matthias) out weigh the just god awful season this has been. The blame has to fall on someones shoulders and Tortorella should take all the blame.

Also Surprised to see Hamhuis take such a beating. He was all world at the beginning of the season and his play broke down because he was just used TOO much.

Anyway despite this season being a write off we do have something to look forward to next year. Hopefully the improved play of our younger players (kassian jensen corrado tanev) an emergence of youth (horvat) and PLEASE GOD a bounce back of some older players (burrows, daniel).

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What about Luongo? He played most of the season here.

Solid B. He played well. Since the Luongo trade our goaltending has allowed the most goals in the NHL. That tells you one of two things: 1) Gillis has now made goaltending a problem, 2) Luongo masked how poor this team is defensively.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
What about Luongo? He played most of the season here.

B, around there anyways.

He had a great start to the season which was abnormal to say the least, but he had a pretty decent year with the Canucks before getting shipped.

Injuries also bugged him during January and February and he handled it very well.

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
Letter Grades
(first letter is their grade, second letter is what they should be expected to do based on caphit)

FORWARDS
H. Sedin B/A
D. Sedin B-/A
Burrows B-/B+
Higgins B/C+
Santorelli B/D
Kesler B/B+
Booth C/B
Kassian C+/C-
Hansen C+/C
Richardson C+/C
Matthias C+/C