Grade the 2013-14 Vancouver Canucks

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
No point in waiting for them to be mathematically eliminated. They're done.

Very disappointing season. Lots of players underachieved, but we ultimately weren't bad enough to get an excellent pick either. Chalk this one up to a transition year and get some more youth in the lineup for next year.

What are your player, coach and GM grades for the Vancouver Canucks this season?

salo franchise

Mar 15, 2014
Grades based on what is expected of them:

Gillis: B
Torts: D-

Henrik: B-
Daniel: D-
Burrows: D (B last 10 games)
Kesler: B-
Hansen: D
Santarelli: A
Jensen: B
Sestito: B+
Dalpe: C
Richardson: B+
Booth: C- (B+ the last ten games)
Welsh: C
Archibald: D
Matthias: B+
Higgins: B+
Kassian: C+ (A last 10 games)
Schroeder: D+
Lain: B

Hamhuis: B
Bieksa: B
Edler: C-
Garrison: C
Weber: C+
Stanton: B
Tanev: A
Alberts: C
Corrado: C-
Sauve: D

Lack: A-
Markstrom: Incomplete

Did I miss anyone?

Last edited:

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Tanev B
Higgins B-
Kesler C+
Garrison C+
Richardson C+
Santo C+
Hamhuis C+
Matthias C+ (really helped our depth)
Sedins C (only due to injuries, they still leading the team in points!)
Kassian C (thanks to late season resurgence)
Bieksa C
Edler C
Sestito C
Weber C (good offensively, much needed on this LOW scoring team, just poor defensively)
Booth C/C-
Stanton C- (not a good season after his injury)
Schroeder C- (had a lot of time to show what he can do, didn't grab his opportunity)
Burrows C- (finally getting better late in season though)

Lack C (after having no veteran goalie to help him with relief of pressure, he's really faltered)

Ventana*

Torts: C

Henrik: C
Daniel: F
Burrows: D
Kesler: C+
Hansen: C
Santorelli: A
Dalpe: C+
Richardson: A
Booth: C+
Archibald: C-
Matthias: B
Higgins: B
Kassian: B
Schroeder: D-

Hamhuis: C+
Bieksa: C+
Edler: D
Garrison: D
Weber: B
Stanton: B+
Alberts: N/A
Corrado: C
Sauve: C-

Lack: B
Markstrom: N/A

salo franchise

Mar 15, 2014
I disagree with these... not sure what you expected from Archibald but he wasn't a big disappointment for me on the 4th line. Kellan Lain is the guy you missed.

I wanted to see energy from Archibald. Didn't need to skill but I wanted him to be a menace on the forecheck. He was unnoticeable.

Kellan Lain: B

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Santo C+

Lack C (after having no veteran goalie to help him with relief of pressure, he's really faltered)

:huh:

What...?

Lack's one of the few reasons the Canucks were even close in the first place.

And how in the world did you expect more from Santo?

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Gillis: C-

Henrik: C+
Burrows: C-
Kesler: B
Jensen: B+
Sestito: B
Richardson: B-
Booth: C-
Kassian: C+

Hamhuis: B-
Bieksa: B-

Lack: B-

Just a bad year in general for pretty much everyone.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Notables:

D Sedin: C-
H Sedin: C+
Kesler: C+
Hansen: F
Burrows: F
Lack: B+ before the trade, C after the trade
Gillis: F
Hamhuis: B+

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Gillis: C+ (for getting tow assets in the Luongo trade and his youngin's are looking promising. Granted... if he had ANYTHING to do with Torts being hired his grade has to drop to a D)
Torts: F with a strong bias towards a Z. Guy had no clue what he was doing from the outset, seemed lost in every interview and never had a sustained answer for any issues. Almost everyone but Kassian has had one of their worst seasons in their careers under his "coaching" ABYSMAL.

Because of Torts above it's really had to grade these guys, but here goes.

Daniel: C
Burrows: DNF (his season has been a train wreck, can't really grade him)
Kesler: D (has always thought more about himself than any one else but now is doing it on the ice so he can preserve/prolong his career. Picks his spots and clearly wants out. 3 years to late in my book).
Hansen: C (Torts had no idea how to use this guy... hard to blame Hansen for having an idiot for a coach)
Santorelli: B+ (was great for stretches, really missed his energy)
Jensen: B (really came in a played... exciting)
Sestito: B+ (for what's expected of him, he's done his job and then some)
Dalpe: C+ (showed some flashes, lots of potential there I think but he's going to lose his place for some youth next season)
Richardson: B+ (solid, dependable, tough and contributes offensively more than I thought he would)
Booth: D+, so much like Kesler in his attitude but at least he's put some effort in the last few weeks. Buy-out awaits...
Archibald: D (for what the organization thought he could bring to what he did (0), yah... a D)
Matthias: B (lots of potential)
Higgins: A- (maybe the most consistent forward all year)
Kassian: B (starting to round into form... overall a big step for the big guy)
Schroeder: C- (only above a D for his speed... haven't seen much heart/compete to go with it though)

Hamhuis: C- (he needs a new stick/skate sponsor. NEVER seen a guy with so many gaffs in one season)
Bieksa: B+ (guy gives it his all, all the time. Only fault is he tries too hard sometimes and gets caught... love this guy)
Edler: D- (think a lot of this is on Torts... but, oh yah, my Hamhuis comments... OK, Edler had more gaffs than Hamhuis)
Garrison: C- (horrible everywhere on the ice... only in the C -range because of his size and early season success)
Weber: C+ (brought more than I thought he had)
Alberts: DNF

Lack: B (really put in a tough spot and is wearing down to be sure... but thought he's lost his focus/structure the last few games. Again, so hard to pin this on Lack... B is really the best mark he could have gotten in this situation so Kudos to him.)

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
This is not going to be pretty:

Daniel Sedin - F - A shell of the player that scored 104 points three seasons ago. Legitimately worried that he can get back on track. Not ready to say he's done, but the fact that I'm not sure that he isn't is really scary.

Henrik Sedin - C - Better than Daniel, and I think Henrik still has more to give than he's shown this year, but still not even close to good enough. As they guys counted on to be the offensive engine on this team, they failed miserably this year.

Alex Burrows - INC - Incomplete grade for Burrows. He will have played around 50 games, but most of those games were either derailed by nagging injuries or he was just coming off of being injured. Also not good enough, but along with Hank, feel like there's still more there than he showed this year.

Chris Higgins - B+ - Probably our most consistent and hardest working forward all year. Glad we have Higgins locked up. one of the very few guys on the team I have no complaints about.

Ryan Kesler - C - Just not consistent enough. Some nights he looks like the engine that drives this team, and others he looks checked out. The back half of the season in particular has really dragged his grade down. Needs to be better.

Jannik Hansen - C- - Not paid to be a scorer, so this isn't even based on the fact that he doesn't score. Just doesn't look like the old "honey badger" this year. Needs to get back to what made him effective. Needs to use his speed way better, hit, and be a pain in the ass. Seems like he's way too focused on being a scorer.

David Booth - F - Gets paid like a 2nd liner and produces like a 4th liner.

Brad Richardson - B - Useful player and a good signing. Has had a pretty good season. Up there with Higgins as one of the better players this season.

Zack Kassian - B- - Long stretch in the middle of the season where he looked invisible, but showing real progress the back half of the season. You can see the player we hope he'll be more and more often.

Tom Sestito - C - Alright for his role, I guess.

Zac Dalpe - F - Not an NHL player on a team that hopes to be a contender.

Mike Santorelli - A- - The team really started to suffer when Santorelli was lost. Could play anywhere in the lineup and bring energy. Hope he can be signed to a reasonable deal.

Nick Jensen, Shawn Matthias, Jordan Schroeder - INC - Just didn't get a long enough look to fairly grade, though Jensen looks promising, Schroeder doesn't look like he's long for the Canucks, and Matthias looks like a decent player.

Alex Edler - F - I've never seen a good player look so horrible under a new coach. We'd all kill for the Edler from last year, and most of us complained about his play then.

Dan Hamhuis - B+ - Tough start to the season, but far and away our best defenseman.

Kevin Bieksa - C+ - Some good, some bad, but overall need more.

Chris Tanev - B+ - Second best defenseman on the team. Hope we can lock him up long term. Trading him would be a mistake.

Ryan Stanton - C+ - Looked like an incredible pick up at the start of the year but never really looked the same after coming back from his injury. Hopefully he can be the player we had at the start of the season for next year.

Jason Garrison
- C+ - About the same as Bieksa. Ran very hot and cold this season. Needs to get his shots on net.

Yannick Weber
- C+ - Fine in his role. A servicable 6th or 7th defenseman. A bit of a gambler, but not a bad depth player. Played well in his role.

Eddie Lack
- C+ - All world while Luongo was here and seems to be cracking a bit under the pressure with him not here. Feel bad for him. Think there's a legitimate starting goalie there, but hope the end of this season doesn't derail him.

John Tortorella
- F - The biggest factor in this grade is all the leads we blew in the third period this season. That never happened under AV, and the coach takes a lot of the blame for that. I also don't like his handling of Lack late in the season, tonight being a good example. Get him out at 5-1, don't leave him in and risk him giving up more.

Mike Gillis
- C - The depth signings he made were actually mostly very good. Santorelli provided much more than expected, Stanton was an astute waiver wire pick up, Richardson over Lapierre was the right call. The problem is the handling of the goalie situation reared its ugly head. That's squarely on Gillis.

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
Hank C+
Dank C-
Kesler B-
Burrows C+
Santorelli B+
Higgins B+
Booth C
Kassian B
Jensen B-
Matthias B-
Richardson B+
Lain C+
Sestito B-
Archibald C+
Schroeder C
Dalpe C

Hamhuis B
Tanev B+
Edler C
Bieksa C+
Garrison C
Stanton C+
Weber C+
Corrado C+

Lack B
Markstrom N/A

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
You guys are harsh. I believe in a pass/fail system.

Tanev, Santorelli, Higgins, Lack.

Fail:everyone else.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Gillis: B+

Henrik: C-
Daniel: D
Burrows: C
Santorelli: A+
Jensen: A+
Dalpe: A
Richardson: A+
Booth: C
Higgins: B-
Kassian: B+
Schroeder: D

Weber: B
Stanton: A-

perrykaravello

John Garrett's Peanut Butter Jar
Aug 15, 2004
Gillis: F
Torts: C-

Henrik: C-
Daniel: F
Burrows: F
Kesler: C
Hansen: F
Archibald: C
Higgins: A-
Kassian: B
Schroeder: C-

Hamhuis: C-
Bieksa: C-
Edler: F
Stanton: B+
Alberts: INC
Corrado: INC
Sauve: INC

Markstrom: INC

Generally based off of salary and their playing time along with their production or defensive play.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Gillis: C-

Henrik: C+
Burrows: C-
Jensen: B+
Sestito: B
Richardson: B-
Booth: C-

Lack: B-

Just a bad year in general for pretty much everyone.

Don't think I could argue with anything you put here.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Henrik - C+
Daniel - D
Burrows - I
Higgins - B
Kesler - C+
Santorelli - A
Kassian - B
Richardson - B
Hansen - D
Sestito - C+
Matthias - B
Schroeder - C-
Booth - C-
Dalpe - C
Jensen B

Hamhuis - C+
Tanev - A
Edler - C-
Garrison - C
Bieksa - C+
Stanton - B
Weber - C+

Lack B-/B
Markstrom TBD
Luongo C+/B

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Grades based on what is expected of them:

Burrows: D (B last 10 games)
Santarelli: A
Booth: C- (B+ the last ten games)
Kassian: C+ (A last 10 games)
Lain: B

Hamhuis: B

Did I miss anyone?
this is my opinion!
Gillis:C-

Henrik:B+
Daniel:C
Burrows:C
Hansen: D-
Santarelli:B-
Jensen: B-
Sestito:C
Richardson: C
Booth:D
Welsh: D
Matthias: C
Lain:C

Hamhuis: C
Bieksa: C
Edler: D+
Garrison: C-
Stanton: C
Tanev: B

Lack:B

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
Grades

Gillis B+: With limited cap space signed impact players in Santorelli and Richardson. Picked up a young defenceman in Stanton for free. Traded Luongo, while no one thought it was possible. Matthias is going to be a nice player for this team.

Tort C: Didnt like the signing from day one, but Tort surprised me with his professionalism with media. Unfortunately all this good will was washed away with the incident in CGY. Tort is always going to be out of control and I just can't live with that.

Henrik C+
Daniel C
Twins started the year on point per game pace and looked great, but a lot fell apart when injuries started racking up. I don't they were deployed as effectively as the past, but I also think that this extra defensive experience could suit them well under a new coach. Still very good players, many people here are like Torts with their emotional analysis on them.

Kesler B: Carried the team in every situation. Had to play so much defence that his offence took a beating. If he goes East next year watch out Kesler will get 30+ goals easily. He probably deserves better than B, but production is tough to argue.

Burrows B: Everyone needs a reality check here. Burrows played hard this season when he was in. There was a long stretch where he was getting many chances and they weren't going in. Very versatile player who more recently we have seen lite the lamp.

Higgins B+: solid and consistent in what he brings every night.

Hansen C+: played pretty decent for what he brings to the table, the problem is that everyone's expectations went up due to the amount of top 6 minutes he got.

Kassian B: for the first half of the season his grade would have been lower, but his play is on the up now and I like his interviews he looks much more mature.

Santorelli A: great season for him, too bad we couldn't see him finish. Almost certain Gillis signs him back.

Booth C: was invisible for most parts, but reality must have sunk in about being bought out and is now a beast. Very curious to see what happens with him I think there are multiple realistic scenarios.

Richardson B+: very nice pickup and great effort. At this point I think he is a legitimize 3C. If he doesn't play there next year it means we are a lot deeper as a team.

Sestito B+: he did his job and added some more. No complaints here.

Jensen/Matthias B+: haven't seen a lot from these guys, but have made impacts.

Schroeder/Dalpe C: had opportunities to take bigger roles, but couldn't

Will follow up with defence and goalies later....

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Gillis: C- (Some decent moves and some horrid moves, same as usual)
Torts: D

Henrik: C
Daniel: F (Miserable season)
Burrows: D
Hansen: C- (Awful season)
Santorelli: B
Sestito: C+
Dalpe: D
Richardson: C+
Archibald: D-
Higgins: C+
Kassian: B-
Schroeder: D-

Hamhuis: C+
Garrison: D (Skating is a problem)
Weber: C
Tanev: A-

Markstrom: F (not a backup goalie right now)

Overall Offence: F
Overall Defence: C+
Power Play: F
Penalty Kill: C+
Coaching: D

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
Everyone giving Jensen a B/B+, we still need to see him in a full season. He only played a handful of games.

Richardson/Santo were amazing this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad