Post-Game Talk: Grade Canucks 2013 draft

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Are you happy with the draft, pissed, mad, sad, pumped or bummed?

Give a numerical grade on how you think the Canucks did C. Schneider trade included. 10 being great, 1 being beyond belief awful

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I'd give it a 8.2/10

This has got to be one of our strongest drafts as of late, if not ever.

The Schneider trade brings it down a bit but we do still have a world class netminder in Luongo. Gillis handled it pretty poorly but for a last minute split decision, the 9th overall pick in a deep draft (comparable to 2003) is never a BAD return.

Horvat, Shinkaruk and Subban are amazing reinforcements for our was-shallow prospect pool

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Trade: -5/10
Boho: 7/10
Shinkaruk: 10/10
Cassels: NA
Subban: 9.5/10 Hopefully he grows.

Dado

Seems they pretty much went by the book. I give them a 5. But in fairness, that's about where most other teams would end up, too.

Was a bit surprised they drafted on the small side.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Would have preferred Andrighetto at 3rd round pick, but other than that, pretty stellar.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
All of the draft except missing another good piece for Schneider and the odd Williamson pick round 6 (being picky).

Beside that good day... i'll say 8/10.

Outside99*

Gave it a 9, 2nd rounder should have been kept AND raymond traded for a pick (if he's not re-signed).

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Probably between 8-9 for me. Mostly just because of the missing 2nd.

I would agree with this, did not like the trade but overall thought we drafted very well today. Would have liked a 2nd for schneider or a top prospect as well.

When the main board is mentioning us as being one of the winners today, we must have did something right given the dislike for our team and gillis in general.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I didn't see that the trade was included, so I would have voted 8 instead of 9.

Getting Horvat, Shinkaruk and Subban in one draft is amazing.

StringerBell

Gave it a 5. I'm about equally excited with the picks as I am upset with trading Schneider. Figured that was the most appropriate ranking.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Horvat - 9/10.
- Would've preferred Nichushkin but Gillis doesn't like taking risks that early.

Shinkaruk - 10/10.
- BPA by far

Cassels - 6/10.
- Would've preferred Bjorkstrand.

Subban - 10/10
- Love the pick.

Schneider trade: 5/10.
- Could've gotten more and seems like Gillis was pressured by Lou Lam.
- NYI probably offered Nino + 15th, EDM probably offered 7th + 2nd + A/B prospect (like MPS)

I think we got 3 future NHLers out of this draft.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Went with 7... 10 without trade, 4 for the trade so average it to 7. If MG got a 2nd round pick with the trade, it would've jumped to a 9.5 (and honestly i don't think it would've been too hard to squeeze a 2nd round pick out of Philly using the offer we had with NJ...).

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
I'd give it a 8.2/10

This has got to be one of our strongest drafts as of late, if not ever.

The Schneider trade brings it down a bit but we do still have a world class netminder in Luongo. Gillis handled it pretty poorly but for a last minute split decision, the 9th overall pick in a deep draft (comparable to 2003) is never a BAD return.

Horvat, Shinkaruk and Subban are amazing reinforcements for our was-shallow prospect pool

Curious...how did you get the .2?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
The trade I give it a 7/10

We trade from an area of strength to bring in a player we really need, it makes sense to move Schneider if we can't get anything for Luongo, we have Lack, Eriksson and Cannata so it makes sense. Only way we get a player like Horvat is if we suck for an entire year.

Draft 9/10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad