Post-Game Talk: Grade Canucks 2013 draft

King of the ES*

Incredible. :shakehead

Woefully bad trade that will haunt us for years, like very much the Shinkaruk, Cassels, and Subban picks.

That came out wrong - meant to say that I LIKE very much the Shinkaruk, Cassels, and Subban picks.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
Given with what the Canucks had going into he draft I give them a 9 out of 10. Did great. Trading a second rounder for Roy was incredibly stupid and any GM that does that sort of thing needs to get smacked, but it was already a done deal.

The goalie situation was what it was; Horvat is going to be a top notch player/leader, then getting Shinkaruk , you get a tough 2 way centre and one of best purely offensively skilled players in the draft. The only thing that may bit is if Nakunskin picks the NHL over the KHL and meets his potential. Still great draft for the Canucks, I personally think that while Schneider is very good I don't think he is elite. Overall that trade was a good move IMO

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
In recent years the Ontario scout has also provided: Hodgson, Jensen, Corrado, Gaunce.

Right now it would fair to say Ontario is our strongest NA scouting region.

Corrado yeah, Hodgson, Jensen and Gaunce all fell into our laps and were BPA in round 1.

If Subban or Cassels turn into gems then yeah thank them.

Last edited:

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
saw a few of his games and I think overall he will top out as a 3rd line player at the nhl level. Shinkaruk is the guy I am high on. Bo has some flaws in his game and if the canucks rush him it will be very bad. They need to take the Shroeder approach (but not taking 5years though to get him into the NHL) I think Bo will and should go back to Junior for atleast one more year before fans start having him in the line up.

As for this topic. Way too early to tell

I didnt expect Kesler to get any better than a good 3rd liner.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
saw a few of his games and I think overall he will top out as a 3rd line player at the nhl level. Shinkaruk is the guy I am high on. Bo has some flaws in his game and if the canucks rush him it will be very bad. They need to take the Shroeder approach (but not taking 5years though to get him into the NHL) I think Bo will and should go back to Junior for atleast one more year before fans start having him in the line up.

As for this topic. Way too early to tell

He has more upside than just a 3rd line player. He has untapped offensive upside to his game based on what i saw and i assume thats what MG/scouts saw too. He was also clutch during the playoffs last year, which appears to be something we lack the last 2 playoffs (or any scoring for that matter). Of course he probably won't be able to help for a few years and i agree it would be a mistake to rush him. Pretty much all our prospect that can head back to Jr. probably should given the lack of roster space and having a slide year benefits us as it gives us one more year of control when they are @ or closer to their peak.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I didnt expect Kesler to get any better than a good 3rd liner.

Kesler is more of an exception rather than the norm. His shot really developed due to hard work and maybe the Sundin effect (given his offense started to come out when he started playing with him).

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
This draft they abandoned their strange drafting strategy and focused heavily on the CHL and less so on college players. Their was one token Swede in Cederholm, but it looks he'll be put through the CHL as well.

I felt they focused on their strong suits and will likely be rewarded for it.

jj1944*

The team reorganized their scouting this year. The emphasis is now on the WHL and OHL. Ron Delorme is no longer head scout and has been replaced by Eric Crawford. They'll be drafting way from the OHL from now on.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
Going around the boards, all fans are in love with their picks and are seeing only blue skies. My prediction is that in 5 years, Oilers, flames and Canuck fans will not be as happy. Flames picked players to early. Oilers wasted a 3rd and 4th on two Russians who made it clear that they might never come over from Mother Russia. Canucks took a few guys who I think will break out hearts

Where do you get that. A lot of Leaf fans love the Gauthier pick, a lot hate it and a lot are giving the old, I guess we will wait and see, and there are a lot who hate the trade of picks for Bolland too.

Plus do you really think Monahan was a bad pick for Calgary? He has legit first liner/leader written all over him while Nurse was the best pick for Edmonton given what they needed and the guy is going to be a stud defensively.

As for the Canucks Horvat is the kind of player that is going to put in the effort and will be a very good 2nd liner (I say 2nd liner as he is not an elite scorer but is still good offensively and has way more upside in that department than Gaunce). As for Shinkaruk he is very good offensively, great draft for the Canucks given where they were when it started (the goalie situation was what it was and the stupid trading of a second rounder was a done deal)

The only provisio is all of these passed on Nakunskin, if he does come over and if he maximizes his skills, loooooook out teams that passed on him from the 5th pick on you will be kicking yourselves

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Absolutely LOVED the trade. Gillis did well to move Schneider along and get an outstanding player in return. Horvat is going to be a fantastic player and future leader of this team. The guy has work ethic like Kesler... he does not stop. He's exactly the type of player you want in the playoffs. On top of that, and I can't stress this enough, by trading Schneider, not only did we get a fantastic asset to keep us competitive long term, but he cleared up cap space by not bringing in another roster player which helps us stay under the cap so we don't lose/have to trade anyone else. Those of you that are upset that we didn't get a roster player back... it could have been a disaster if we did.

If we trade/buyout Luongo, we get no assets in return.... period. So you HAVE to trade Schneider. In a few years one of our goalies in the minors will be able to take over for Luongo anyways and the return on goalies these days are VERY low, so I don't know what people were expecting we were going to get.

In the draft, I'd give him a 9/10 only because we didn't have a second. Taking Horvat over Nichushkin was the right thing to do. Far too often we see Russian players that think they're the **** bomb in the NHL and then throw a hissy fit if they don't get their way and head back to the KHL... with Horvat sitting right there, you don't take that chance.

Bo Horvat is a workhorse and plays at 110% at all times. The fact that he dominated in the playoffs as one of the younger players taken in this draft is impressive, and he got better as the season went on.

Shinkaruk is a fantastic goal scorer and can dangle like nobodies business. He is one of the most skilled players in the draft and was looked over simply due to size. He's listed now at 5'10/181. I think after a couple more years he should fill out to about 200. He's already tough to take off the puck due to his lower body strength and balance on the puck... another 15-20lbs of muscle and I don't see him having a problem.

For those people upset about the trade, the situation as a whole was not managed properly, however Gillis did the correct thing in asset management. Knowing that he's got 3 very good prospect goalies in the minors now and that one of them will be likely be ready in the near future to take over when Luongo leaves, he gave up Schneider to allow us to bring in another can't miss prospect rather than getting nothing for Luongo. Goalies have VERY low trading value right now so you can't expect more than what he got.

I am VERY excited about this draft.

ZKass The Bass

Feb 10, 2013
London
Absolutely LOVED the trade. Gillis did well to move Schneider along and get an outstanding player in return. Horvat is going to be a fantastic player and future leader of this team. The guy has work ethic like Kesler... he does not stop. He's exactly the type of player you want in the playoffs. On top of that, and I can't stress this enough, by trading Schneider, not only did we get a fantastic asset to keep us competitive long term, but he cleared up cap space by not bringing in another roster player which helps us stay under the cap so we don't lose/have to trade anyone else. Those of you that are upset that we didn't get a roster player back... it could have been a disaster if we did.

If we trade/buyout Luongo, we get no assets in return.... period. So you HAVE to trade Schneider. In a few years one of our goalies in the minors will be able to take over for Luongo anyways and the return on goalies these days are VERY low, so I don't know what people were expecting we were going to get.

In the draft, I'd give him a 9/10 only because we didn't have a second. Taking Horvat over Nichushkin was the right thing to do. Far too often we see Russian players that think they're the **** bomb in the NHL and then throw a hissy fit if they don't get their way and head back to the KHL... with Horvat sitting right there, you don't take that chance.

Bo Horvat is a workhorse and plays at 110% at all times. The fact that he dominated in the playoffs as one of the younger players taken in this draft is impressive, and he got better as the season went on.

Shinkaruk is a fantastic goal scorer and can dangle like nobodies business. He is one of the most skilled players in the draft and was looked over simply due to size. He's listed now at 5'10/181. I think after a couple more years he should fill out to about 200. He's already tough to take off the puck due to his lower body strength and balance on the puck... another 15-20lbs of muscle and I don't see him having a problem.

For those people upset about the trade, the situation as a whole was not managed properly, however Gillis did the correct thing in asset management. Knowing that he's got 3 very good prospect goalies in the minors now and that one of them will be likely be ready in the near future to take over when Luongo leaves, he gave up Schneider to allow us to bring in another can't miss prospect rather than getting nothing for Luongo. Goalies have VERY low trading value right now so you can't expect more than what he got.

Me and you are on the exact same page, brother. Gillis made a fantastic move.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010

I agree. My gripe with Gillis is trading the second round choice the first place, but given it was done this was great draft for the Canucks, including the trade

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Yep. I agree.

No one seems to point out this is the best pick we've had in the draft since the Sedins.

I still can't believe the guys we got.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I think the only way the Canucks draft Nichushkin is if they have higher 1st round picks similar to Buffalo (8,16) and Calgary (6,22,28). That way you go big first and then go steady.

If the Canucks actually thought Shinkaruk would be available at #24 then maybe they take a chance but I don't think anyone expected him to drop that far.

I understand Calgary passing on him at #6 as they badly need a centre but IMO Buffalo should have taken him at #8 but obviously they either had a focus on defenseman or just rated Ristolainen higher.

Either way, I'm happy with the draft for Vancouver.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton

Completely agree. The farther out we get from the draft, the more happy I am with the trade. As for our picks, I am glad we took Horvat. It is definately a solid pickup.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Me and you are on the exact same page, brother. Gillis made a fantastic move.

I think you guys are being hyperbolic about this. I respect that Gillis probably made the best choice he could while backed into a corner, but he still let himself get backed into a corner. Hardly 'fantastic.'

That said, Gillis' worst case scenario in the Cory Schneider saga is that he's left with a stud centerman prospect and a (peeved off) veteran all-star goalie, maybe you're not doing as badly at your job as critics think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->