Grabovski's Attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhanot

Jan 27, 2012
Firstly, gonna start off by saying that Grabo is my favourite player on the Leafs. Absolutely love the guy, and I'm not happy with Carlyle's treatment of him this year. That being said, he could be producing a tad more.

We all know the Toronto media is one of the craziest around: always hunting for a quote to kill a team's morale or damage player's relationships with each other. Apparently there's no break, as night after night, especially after losses, Grabovski is hounded by reporters who ask, if you ask me, rude questions.

Grabovski's responses to these questions, however, have been phenomenal. You can tell how mature he has become.

The following quotes are from after tonights 3-2 SO loss against the Rags:

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 7m
Was Grabovski surprised to be picked to shoot? 'Not really. I don't know. Were you surprised?'

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 8m
Asked Grabovski if he's frustrated: 'See my smile? I'm not frustrated at all.'

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 9m
Grabovski on starting game with Orr-McLaren: 'I feel good. For me it doesn't matter who I play with ... I'm on the ice I'm happy.'

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 12m
Sense I get from Grabovski: Even if frustrated he has no interest in becoming distraction. Plans to soldier on.

All that stuff about Carlyle the great communicator? Not with Grabo:

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 19m
Asked Grabovski if Carlyle has clearly communicated what he must do better; says he talks mainly with Cronin

David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590 21m
Grabovski when asked if there has been communication from Carlyle on what he needs to improve on: Not really, I usually talk to 2nd coach.

#FreeGrabo

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 2m
RT @jonasTSN1050: Sense I get from Grabovski: Even if frustrated he has no interest in becoming distraction. Plans to soldier on.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Firstly, gonna start off by saying that Grabo is my favourite player on the Leafs. Absolutely love the guy, and I'm not happy with Carlyle's treatment of him this year. That being said, he could be producing a tad more.

Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 19m
Asked Grabovski if Carlyle has clearly communicated what he must do better; says he talks mainly with Cronin

David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590 21m
Grabovski when asked if there has been communication from Carlyle on what he needs to improve on: Not really, I usually talk to 2nd coach.

#FreeGrabo

oooh

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I feel for him.

He needs to be in an offensive role. I hope he finds his spot in the top 6 next season and regains form, or is given the opportunity elsewhere.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would like to hear more fire from his responses, almost sounds like he is happy collecting a big fat paycheque and who cares if I am on the 4th line laissez faire attitude.

Got my payday and I am still laughing to the bank.

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
I would like to hear more fire from his responses, almost sounds like he is happy collecting a big fat paycheque and who cares if I am on the 4th line laissez faire attitude.

wizard

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
umm. I feel he should be more fired up. Sounds like a "whatever" attitude to me.

He SHOULD be pissed that he's not producing. Any elite level player will tell you that they want to score and make a difference.

He came into the camp as our #2a C (bozak is 2b), played himself to the 3b/4a centre. Did anyone see those awful drop passes in his game?

Censored23

May 20, 2011
It really pisses me off seeing Grabbo being used in a 3rd or 4th line checker/shutdown role. He is a scoring center, and should be used as one. I know there is a logjam on the top 2 lines, but something needs to be done, as he is being wasted in his current role.

This is all on Carlyle. He did the same thing with Lupul in Anaheim. He is a very poor judge of talent and needs to get his head out of his ass. Actually, what needs to be done is have a 3rd scoring line put together. Maybe its time to try Frattin and MacArthur on his wings and send Hamilton back down to the Marlies (once Lupul is back).

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
It really pisses me off seeing Grabbo being used in a 3rd or 4th line checker/shutdown role. He is a scoring center, and should be used as one. I know there is a logjam on the top 2 lines, but something needs to be done, as he is being wasted in his current role.

This is all on Carlyle. He did the same thing with Lupul in Anaheim. He is a very poor judge of talent and needs to get his head out of his ass. Actually, what needs to be done is have a 3rd scoring line put together. Maybe its time to try Frattin and MacArthur on his wings and send Hamilton back down to the Marlies (once Lupul is back).

I don't think Mac or frattin will make much of a difference. They're both very average offensively

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

And why should Carlyle change something that has us in fifth in the east just for Grabos sake?

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Man... When i saw him take that shootout, he looked like he had absolutely no confidence. It seemed like he wanted to make sure he just got it on net rather than trying to score. I know Randy wants to get him going, but if you want to get him going, but him in a situation to succeed. He's not a checker, I think he'd be more suited to play with Kessel in an offensive role; if you want to get him going.

It sucks because Grabo is capable of more, but he has absolutely no confidence out there. Hopefully when we make the ********, he can forget this season and start fresh.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just saw a post game interview with Grabo on TSN, the guy was smiling in a lost. Trade him.

Seriously after a frustrating lost, the guy is all smiles, I can't make this stuff up.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Man... When i saw him take that shootout, he looked like he had absolutely no confidence. It seemed like he wanted to make sure he just got it on net rather than trying to score. I know Randy wants to get him going, but if you want to get him going, but him in a situation to succeed. He's not a checker, I think he'd be more suited to play with Kessel in an offensive role; if you want to get him going.

It sucks because Grabo is capable of more, but he has absolutely no confidence out there. Hopefully when we make the ********, he can forget this season and start fresh.
I just don't understand people.
Again, our top line has had a great year and is currently on fire. Why should Carlyle change that to suit Grabo?

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
Just saw a post game interview with Grabo on TSN, the guy was smiling in a lost. Trade him.

Seriously after a frustrating lost, the guy is all smiles, I can't make this stuff up.

I know. The adventures of Jack, Locke, and Hurley really got frustrating after a while.

AverageCanadian

Jul 29, 2010

Hard to fault Carlye for putting Grabo on the third line. Kadri has clearly out played him. Bozak is likely better situated to play with Kessel than Grabo is and is obviously better at faceoffs.

That being said, going into the playoffs the 4th line, "energy" line can be dropped. Don't need a fighting line in the playoffs.

Would be nice to try and get a third scoring line with Grabo leading the charge. Keep a strong checking line for the 4th.

That being said, I'm just some random kid sitting at my keyboard. I'm sure the coaches with actual experience know better.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

That's what it sounds like to you? Tell the truth...did Grabo run over your dog?

Maybe the guy is smart enough not to give this media anything to work with. Maybe he's mature enough to realize that even though he may be working through personal frustrations with his game, his teammates shouldn't have to bear the burden of him having a negative attitude about it.

I like Grabo and while I can understand he's struggling offensively in his new role on the team, that can't always be the excuse. Having a few games or a few shifts where he looks like the Grabo of old isn't enough. He's gotta be better and he's gotta play closer to the 5+M player that's he paid to be. But you...you take it to a whole new level. Taking the opportunity to call into question his character despite the fact that there are other possible reasons for his comments tonight shows that you're more interested in looking for ways to criticize the guy above all else.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Personally, I agree with the OP, his answers were great. I don't agree that he should have this "fired up" attitude, especially with those questions. He's putting team success over personal success, and is not putting a negative attitude or story in the dressing room, that's the makings of a good team mate. Way to suck it up grabo.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Wish his value was higher, but we all could see Kadri taking his spot and we knew he would be gone before these next 5 years passed.

And what if we let Mikhail Grabovski leave as a FA and Nazem Kadri didn't step up and take his spot? Where would we be with no 2nd line center?

I'm positive Grabovski still has value. Not because I'm some kind of optimist, but because it's the reality of the situation. There is always a market for top 6 centers who are responsible defensively, great at faceoffs, have a tireless work ethic and can add an element of speed. Mikhail Grabovski is signed through the prime of his career, and he's coming off four consecutive seasons where he has paced at ~50points, including a peak near 30G-30A campaign just one full season ago.

Players don't lose all their value in one down season. Any GM who has followed the Toronto Maple Leafs this year, would know that Grabovski is simply playing in a situation not suited for him to succeed offensively. He really doesn't look any worse this season, Nazem Kadri is just a top 10 scorer and Randy Carlyle (like Ron Wilson) feels the need to permanently attach Tyler Bozak to Phil Kessel and the top line. This leaves Grabovski on the 3rd line, with bottom 6ers and defensive stalwarts with limited PP time and offensive opportunity.

I personally hope we can flip Grabovski for a steady two-way top 4 defenseman this offseason. I would love to see Grabovski revive his career elsewhere (I'm a big fan of his) and I feel adding a defenseman is our biggest need.

My thoughts on Grabovski I wrote a few weeks back and my opinion hasn't changed:

I have no idea why the Leafs don't at least TRY swapping Mikhail Grabovski and Tyler Bozak's roles on the team. Bozak is great at faceoffs, responsible defensively and does a lot of the little things your #3 center should do. Grabovski has lead our centers in scoring every season since Mats Sundin left, (4 seasons: 08-09, 09-10, 10-11, 11-12) but suddenly Randy Carlyle comes and Grabovski isn't even among the first 10 shooters in a shootout and he produces at a 32pt pace?

Carlyle is running Grabovski into the ground and as you said he is completely miscast in a role as a "shutdown center." Grabovski is an offensive center who is an equally good goal scorer as a player and he just so happens to backcheck hard and play a defensively responsible game. Giving him 35% offensive zone starts, playing alongside guys who are primarily checkers (Kulemin, Komarov, McClement) against the Sidney Crosby's, Steven Stamkos's..etc of the league..

Just ridiculous coaching IMO.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I just don't understand people.
Again, our top line has had a great year and is currently on fire. Why should Carlyle change that to suit Grabo?

I didn't say they should make that change, but that he's better suited for that role. The fact that the team is having success is the reason why he's put into a role that he's not suited for, while a guy like Bozak is suited for such a role.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How is a player smiling in an interview in his stall after a hard fought lost? Someone explain this to me, Dion needs to slap some sense into Grabo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad