grabo and kule

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Kulimen is better suited as a third liner who could move up if there are injuries. If he's in your top 6 you might be in some trouble.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Islanders fan coming in peace. Always liked the leafs and I remember these two being great together. Just curious what you all may think of tje reunion of the two players on the isles second line (most likely paired with strome) thanks for the imput guys

One guy falls down a lot and the other has stone hands and never closes his mouth.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Would love to see you prove the myth that Grabovski was a puckhog.

Prove with what? His puckhog stats? That would be a challenge to prove of any player. Watching Grabovski it was clear he wasn't a puck distributing kind of possession player, he was the puckhog type of possession player.

Thing is I actually like Grabovski, but I am not so caught up in a crusade to defend him that I became ignorant of the type of player he was.

Kessley Snipes*

Prove with what? His puckhog stats? That would be a challenge to prove of any player. Watching Grabovski it was clear he wasn't a puck distributing kind of possession player, he was the puckhog type of possession player.

Thing is I actually like Grabovski, but I am not so caught up in a crusade to defend him that I became ignorant of the type of player he was.

His ability to "puckhog" and drive possession lead to increased net attempts. This in turn has allowed him to put up 145 assists.

I don't think you're doing anything else, but perpetuating a mythical narrative.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Kulemin's stats rely pretty heavily on how good his centre is playing (see 10/11 Grabovski).

If Grabovski plays well, Kulemin will be a benefactor of that. That said, Kulemin is better suited on the third line but maybe he can have a resurgence, he doesn't have that much offense in his game and his big year was an anomoly. I honestly think he'll be hard-pressed for even 17/18 goals - hope I'm wrong though. Gonna miss Kulemin's hustle on this team, that's for sure. He'll quickly become your unsung hero.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kulemin's stats rely pretty heavily on how good his centre is playing (see 10/11 Grabovski).

If Grabovski plays well, Kulemin will be a benefactor of that. That said, Kulemin is better suited on the third line but maybe he can have a resurgence, he doesn't have that much offense in his game and his big year was an anomoly. I honestly think he'll be hard-pressed for even 17/18 goals - hope I'm wrong though. Gonna miss Kulemin's hustle on this team, that's for sure. He'll quickly become your unsung hero.

I would say Macarthur was the straw that stirred the drink to that line for just one year, they never were successful after that. 62 points that year, and many more assists on Kulemin's 30 goal season.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I would say Macarthur was the straw that stirred the drink to that line. 62 points that year, and many more assists on Kulemin's 30 goal season.

I don't like to attribute any of them for carrying that line because it was just a case where they all worked at what they were doing - even if it was a fluke. I don't think it's fair to say Kulemin was carried by Mac or Grabo but he definitely was the benefactor to a lot of the nice plays Mac made or shots Grabo made. But again, he was always in the right spot too and not afraid to get dirty.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't like to attribute any of them for carrying that line because it was just a case where they all worked at what they were doing - even if it was a fluke. I don't think it's fair to say Kulemin was carried by Mac or Grabo but he definitely was the benefactor to a lot of the nice plays Mac made or shots Grabo made. But again, he was always in the right spot too and not afraid to get dirty.

If I had to retain one of these 3, I would have Macarthur. But he and Carlyle didn't see eye to eye unfortunately.

He is a good player first, and second a good possession player. I can actually see he and Clarkson being a good 3rd line.

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
Thanks for your imput guys. I like the mixed reviews you can see his pros and cons. Reminds me of alot of islanders fans with okposo. I think paired with strome it can be a great 2nd line. Even tho kule may not be second line material his sound defensive playcould balance that line. Storme is my favorite prosepect and his view of the ice is great. so have him throwing pucks to grabo all day while kule drops back and make sure no odd man rushes happen.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I think with Tavares as your #1, Grabovski will be a nice compliment as a #2. He gives you a creative offensive option, that can win FO, Shoouts, battle and play adaquete defensively. The only issue with Grabovski is that he goes through dry spells that hinder inconsistency. When he's on and playing his game he is one of the most noticeable players on the ice.

Kulemin is an interesting conundrum; he is virtually good at almost any role you can put him in. He has great strength along the walls, however, doesn't use it fully to his advantage. My only concern with him if you are expecting him to score 20+ goals is that his bag of moves is limited. He always tries to do his infamous backhand-forehand move that goaltenders now read like a book. Kuly needs to get back to basics, and shoot the friggen puck more! He is one of my favourite frustrating players we have ever drafted.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Grabo is all offense with little sense of the d-zone or n-zone. Kulemin is a good player. Tough, very hard working and a good team guy.

Nothing really works in Toronto or on the Island so don't expect much more than was happening here -- sorry.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
They're both really hard working players and Grabo has a lot of offensive upside that I think you will like but you paid waay too much for them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Islanders fan coming in peace. Always liked the leafs and I remember these two being great together. Just curious what you all may think of tje reunion of the two players on the isles second line (most likely paired with strome) thanks for the imput guys

I think you'll find they're players who do fairly well on poor clubs but if and when the Islanders want to take the next step forward in the standings you won't really care about them.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think with Tavares as your #1, Grabovski will be a nice compliment as a #2. He gives you a creative offensive option, that can win FO, Shoouts, battle and play adaquete defensively. The only issue with Grabovski is that he goes through dry spells that hinder inconsistency. When he's on and playing his game he is one of the most noticeable players on the ice.

Kulemin is an interesting conundrum; he is virtually good at almost any role you can put him in. He has great strength along the walls, however, doesn't use it fully to his advantage. My only concern with him if you are expecting him to score 20+ goals is that his bag of moves is limited. He always tries to do his infamous backhand-forehand move that goaltenders now read like a book. Kuly needs to get back to basics, and shoot the friggen puck more! He is one of my favourite frustrating players we have ever drafted.

I see Strome as a more likely #2. A very promising player. He may turn out to be a mini Ryan Johansen. Ironically Grabovski may be back in the situation he was here when Kadri moved past him, a #3C, and we know how that turned out.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I think you'll find they're players who do fairly well on poor clubs but if and when the Islanders want to take the next step forward in the standings you won't really care about them.

This.

Grabo is a stop-gap 2nd line C, he's not really special in any area of the game, just a decent 50ish point centre.

Kulemin is strong defensively and physically, but he's not going to give you clutch scoring, he's more of a 3rd line, or 2nd line in case of injury type of player, he'll give you 15 goals on a season usually(that 30 goal season was an exception).

Neither was worth their contract. Kulemin is worth 3m at best(and is very replaceable imo) and Grabo is worth a bozak contract, 4-4.5m.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Grabovski is a shoot-first center with a never-say-die style of play and Kulemin is a Mack truck on skates with stone hands but a hard shot if given the space to release. Both are responsible defensively. They'll provide more than they'll surrender.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Grabo and Kule are not going to get a fair shake on the leafs boards. They were both misused here by a terrible coach. They could be much more productive with a fresh start. I hope they do very well for you.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Grabovski will get you 50-60 points
Kulemin, if given a more offensive role, could hit 20 goals again
Both hardworking guys who you will enjoy watching. They also work well together

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
I would say Macarthur was the straw that stirred the drink to that line for just one year, they never were successful after that. 62 points that year, and many more assists on Kulemin's 30 goal season.

I've always thought that. If there's a criticism of Kulie and Grabo, they're a bit one-dimensional, Grabo likes to take the puck and just go, Kulie will finish plays if he's on but won't start too many. MacArthur was the guy with the best "ice awareness", he started plays, he knew where to position himself, he knew where his linemates would be, he made things happen.
It'd be tempting to stick Josh Bailey on the wing with them if just to have a KGB line. But I'd say they need to be alongside a certified playmaker type if you're going get the most out of them.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I've always thought that. If there's a criticism of Kulie and Grabo, they're a bit one-dimensional, Grabo likes to take the puck and just go, Kulie will finish plays if he's on but won't start too many. MacArthur was the guy with the best "ice awareness", he started plays, he knew where to position himself, he knew where his linemates would be, he made things happen.
It'd be tempting to stick Josh Bailey on the wing with them if just to have a KGB line. But I'd say they need to be alongside a certified playmaker type if you're going get the most out of them.

I think Macarthur was probably the best player on the KGM line, in retrospect, I would have let Kule and Grabovski go before Mac.

He was a good player, and if you have time to kill, if you go to youtube, search for Kule's 30 goal season, you will see it had a lot more to do with Macarthur than his other line mate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad