News Article: GQ talks to Geno

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Nice little article. Geno's getting married ... soon there will be baby Geno's :)

Smasher

Jan 25, 2012
Finland
nemecic.bandcamp.com
Good stuff!

Who's the funniest guy on your team?

I say it’s Duper [a.k.a. Pascal Dupuis] and Flower [a.k.a. Marc-André Fleury]. They’re cool guys. They try to talk Russian, say a little bit Russian. They’re fun guys.

What do they say?

Most time it’s bad words.

:laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Geno has a very very very good personality and I'm glad media outlets are starting to get in there and see the Geno we all love.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
So, there’s much going on between Russia and ISIS. What do you think about Vladimir Putin’s response?

I see that but I not think about that. It’s not my job, I mean. What I think is all inside me but I never talk about that because it’s not my job, I’m not politics. If he says that, he’s president of Russia and everything he do I think is right because we believe him. He’s good leader from Russia and if he say, I agree.

interesting to hear an athletes take on world affairs.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
OMG.

"How are American girls different from Russian girls?

I don’t know. I never have American girls. It’s tough question because I never stay with American girls, only Russian."

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have never hidden the fact that Geno is my favorite athlete in the world in the last 20 years. However, today was the first little chink in that armor of adulation...
the fact that he thinks that Putin is a good leader and he believes if he does something than it must be right.....no wonder why he has never rebeled against our idiot coaches all these years...

Trepanated

Jan 11, 2007
Geno, you know, when talk he is little bit sound like caveman. But also personality is can see, and you like him. Geno is good guy, you know, like you want buy him beer maybe. You buy him beer and hang out, he say funny thing. Even though no is very great to English. Still good guy. Everyone know. Very good guy. Is funny, funny guy. Wish him all best things.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I have never hidden the fact that Geno is my favorite athlete in the world in the last 20 years. However, today was the first little chink in that armor of adulation...
the fact that he thinks that Putin is a good leader and he believes if he does something than it must be right.....no wonder why he has never rebeled against our idiot coaches all these years...

He's an old school Russian in that way. It's why I laugh when some suggest he could be an issue to coach. Guy got benched for a period by Paul Maurice IN HIS HOMETOWN because Maurice didn't like how he was playing defense. He said nothing and did nothing . . . except play stellar defense the next game.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I wouldn't read too much into it...he's from Russia, not really a good idea to bash Putin.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007

You are totally crazy if you think a major Russian celebrity would ever speak out against Putin.

Speaking out against you're leader would be an act of treason. People go missing for anti-Putin speech in the media. He would put his family and friends in seriously jeopardy if he said or inferred anything that Putin was less of a man.

Russia isn't America. Your words get you in trouble over there.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

To be fair, there is a ton of Russian nationalism and I doubt Geno pays much attention to politics. You could argue he should, but his response isn't all that surprising for a guy who has spent most of his adult life in Pittsburgh and loves his country.

And Harv's post above.

hot2trot

Mar 2, 2015
You are totally crazy if you think a major Russian celebrity would ever speak out against Putin.

Speaking out against you're leader would be an act of treason. People go missing for anti-Putin speech in the media. He would put his family and friends in seriously jeopardy if he said or inferred anything that Putin was less of a man.

Russia isn't America. Your words get you in trouble over there.

I completely agree with you. I'm pretty sure he did some kind of birthday hockey game for Putin too, it's not like he can just go back there and fade into obscurity during the off season.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
See. I like Geno.

But to be blind to the fact that Geno likes Putin - or thinking he only says he likes Putin because he has to is like having your blinders on. He has a photo on instagram with a group of friends wearing pro-Putin / pro-crimea tee shirts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/rsRz4AqjmR/

Geno is very patriotic (there're some other examples as well) - and we can disagree with his political leanings, but maybe when you're inundated with biased reports and news since childhood, you will have a different perspective. Just as US/UK media has been clear in their anti-Russia bias, Russia's is clearly the opposite.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
See. I like Geno.

But to be blind to the fact that Geno likes Putin - or thinking he only says he likes Putin because he has to is like having your blinders on. He has a photo on instagram with a group of friends wearing pro-Putin / pro-crimea tee shirts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/rsRz4AqjmR/

Geno is very patriotic (there're some other examples as well) - and we can disagree with his political leanings, but maybe when you're inundated with biased reports and news since childhood, you will have a different perspective. Just as US/UK media has been clear in their anti-Russia bias, Russia's is clearly the opposite.

Not sure Instagram examples are persuasive examples, or that you or any of us have Clue One as to Geno's patriotism. Though I'm sure plenty of Russians like Putin.

I think the percentage that still like him, once they have come West and been exposed to different media and culture, probably drops dramatically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad