Value of: Gourde + sweetener to VGK

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Assuming Vegas is able to move out a few players like Marchessault and MAF, they might have cap space to take Gourde.

Let's also assume Gourde is willing to waive his full NTC only for Vegas because they are exempt from the expansion draft.

What kind of sweetener does Tampa add to move out his contract in order to get their RFAs signed?

edit: no aspartame jokes, please

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Moving out Marchessault only to replace him with Gourde is an odd move.

Not if they get futures from both deals. Gourde is the type of player they should be looking for, it's just the cap hit and term isn't very palatable but a sweetener might make it more digestible.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why would Tampa trade Gourde and why would they add to move him? They would move Killorn and Johnson before him.

Reactions: King 88

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Assuming Vegas is able to move out a few players like Marchessault and MAF, they might have cap space to take Gourde.

Let's also assume Gourde is willing to waive his full NTC only for Vegas because they are exempt from the expansion draft.

What kind of sweetener does Tampa add to move out his contract in order to get their RFAs signed?

edit: no aspartame jokes, please
Why wouldn't the team that is trading a good asset for Marchessault just trade basically nothing for Gourde and a sweetener?

Reactions: Meeqs

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
1. I don't see why VGK would be shopping Marchessault

2. I don't think Gourde would require a sweetener to get rid of, he has positive value.

In the OPs hypothetical that "Gourde is willing to waive his full NTC only for Vegas because they are exempt from the expansion draft", then he might require a sweetener, since Tampa has to make clear cap and might have to move Gourde depending on the other guys on NTC want, but its such an unlikely hypothetical.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Johnson has a full NTC so why should he waive it? I've already shown why Gourde would waive it for Vegas.

You need to explain why he would only waive for Vegas. Does he have some special connection there? Would he not want to go to Seattle? Would no other team in the NHL protect him?

Reactions: qqaz

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
If we're targeting a forward to poach from Tampa I'd go after Killorn.

Still would much rather put any and all cap we clear towards a top pair D.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Johnson has a full NTC so why should he waive it? I've already shown why Gourde would waive it for Vegas.

Why would Gourde waive it for that reason but not Johnson? If you watched the playoffs you would see why Gourde is much more important to us so if you wanted him you would need to be the ones adding to get him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gourde is not a negative value player. He had a terrible season and is making up for it with a great playoff run. He's been our best forward who's not on the top line.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
You need to explain why he would only waive for Vegas. Does he have some special connection there? Would he not want to go to Seattle? Would no other team in the NHL protect him?

Probably not no. I don't think most players want to get taken in expansion unless they're not getting much ice time.

I doubt most teams he might waive for could guarantee he won't get drafted, and even then, he'd be taking them at their word.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Gourde is not a negative value player. He had a terrible season and is making up for it with a great playoff run. He's been our best forward who's not on the top line.

Alright then how does Tampa extend their RFAs before the offer sheets start? They have a lot of cap they need to move out even with the 10% offseason cushion.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So who moves out? Killorn and ?
Killorn for sure. We might even be forced to trade Cirelli for a good return. Maybe Cernak.

We're no stranger to cap problems. We get through each and every year. The only player weve sold at negative value was Val Filppula, who was not good at the time of the trade.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Killorn for sure. We might even be forced to trade Cirelli for a good return. Maybe Cernak.

We're no stranger to cap problems. We get through each and every year. The only player weve sold at negative value was Val Filppula, who was not good at the time of the trade.

I can't see you guys moving Cirelli. I think you'll find a way to move Johnson and Killorn. I know I'd offer something like the '21 NJ 2nd + Cousins for Killorn at the very least if we can find the cap.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I can't see you guys moving Cirelli. I think you'll find a way to move Johnson and Killorn. I know I'd offer something like the '21 NJ 2nd + Cousins for Killorn at the very least if we can find the cap.
I don't see anyone waiving. We've never had a player just waive.

I think we will move killorn and then try to get the players to take shockingly low deals. A couple of small moves around the edges to save an extra million to two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad