Value of: Gourde + sweetener to VGK

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Probably not no. I don't think most players want to get taken in expansion unless they're not getting much ice time.

I doubt most teams he might waive for could guarantee he won't get drafted, and even then, he'd be taking them at their word.

Why? Vegas is literally the example that players shouldn't care about being taken in the expansion draft.

And most teams he would waive for could protect him.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I wouldn't waive for no reason if I were Johnson.

No one ever wants to be the guy to hamstring the team though. Most guys also don't want to be somewhere they aren't wanted. Now that doesn't necessarily mean he'd accept a trade to say Ottawa, but I'm sure he'd be willing to work with Tampa to find a destination that is a fit for both sides.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not if they get futures from both deals. Gourde is the type of player they should be looking for, it's just the cap hit and term isn't very palatable but a sweetener might make it more digestible.

I thought vegas is up against the cap after filling out their roster.

Thry need to move stuff to sign Lehner.

Marchessault, statsny, Smith, Martinez , and MAF are the ones they’d moved open up cap space.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don't see anyone waiving. We've never had a player just waive.

I think we will move killorn and then try to get the players to take shockingly low deals. A couple of small moves around the edges to save an extra million to two.

First time for everything. Expansion protection + going to another good team is as good as any.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't see anyone waiving. We've never had a player just waive.

I think we will move killorn and then try to get the players to take shockingly low deals. A couple of small moves around the edges to save an extra million to two.

You have to shave 4.2M after Killorn is gone. Just did this with capfrienly tools, with lowball offers for Sergachev (3.8M, 2 years), Cirelli (3.5M, 2 years) and Cernak (2.3M, 2 years).

So everything points to "another 5M player out , 800k prospect in" -scenario. That makes the 4.2M difference.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I feel like the more interesting topic on here would be JM being available from VGK rather than TBL moving a player the other way.

What do you think VGK would want for him

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I feel like the more interesting topic on here would be JM being available from VGK rather than TBL moving a player the other way

In reality he probably isn't available, but fans like myself were incredibly frustrated with his play over the past month and he makes the most sense to move of the wingers if we need to clear space for say an Alex Pietrangelo.

Reactions: Meeqs

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I feel like the more interesting topic on here would be JM being available from VGK rather than TBL moving a player the other way.

What do you think VGK would want for him

picks and/or prospects sounds good. Maybe a backup goalie.

Reactions: Meeqs

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
You have to shave 4.2M after Killorn is gone. Just did this with capfrienly tools, with lowball offers for Sergachev (3.8M, 2 years), Cirelli (3.5M, 2 years) and Cernak (2.3M, 2 years).

So everything points to "another 5M player out , 800k prospect in" -scenario. That makes the 4.2M difference.
Ideally its Johnson. But its not going to be easy. Paquette is another piece that could be sold for scraps. Could lower it to needing like 2.5 million.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
In reality he probably isn't available, but fans like myself were incredibly frustrated with his play over the past month and he makes the most sense to move of the wingers if we need to clear space for say an Alex Pietrangelo.

Rad, because I would be on that like white on rice lmao

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Did you fill out a roster of 23 players?

Adding 9.6 for those 3 gives

11/5/2 for 76.2+ 9.6=85.8
5 players to fill out for $1M each is $5M
$90.8M total for 14/7/2

That means you need to cut $9M.

You need to move 2 of those 4 forwards.

What might be the better moves...

Move Cernak /Serg with One of the 4 F for an ELC or low bridge Dman saving you around $5M net

Thrn trade another one of those F for pick/prospect for a net of $4M in savings.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

One other player has to go. Killorn is easy player. Maybe dump Paquette add 925k player for 700k more savings. But one other player has to go. and if you want to tell me non tax state trade Vegas 2 for Gourde and say 600k retention I can dig that. Its debatable at least. But asking more from TBL to trade Gourde isn't happening after this playoff.

Starting at original post (ignoring ntc for one second). Value wise it is easier to trade Gourde at 5m than Fluery at 7m.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa might trade Gourde but I dont see a sweetener added to get rid of him. He's a good player and if he was being shopped then there would be some kind of bid for him. Maybe nothing huge but they would be able to get something in value for him.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Bolts won't have to add any sweetener to trade any of the guys potentially on the table between Palat, Gourde, Johnson, and Killorn. They may trade them for cheap but they won't need to add anything to anyone to move them wherever they want to go.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Don't understand why Vegas would move Marchessault, he wasn't great this playoff, but he was excellent the past two years. Stone's their best forward, but I feel like Marschessault brings creativity that is key to their success.

Also, I'd love Palat, Gourde, Johnson, or Killorn in San Jose, but I don't see why they'd trade out of Tampa. No state income tax, elite team, low-cost of living in a great town, and valued members of the team. It's not like they've fallen out of favor, or lost their spot. Not saying Tampa's screwed- they always work things out- but I'll be impressed if they can move Gourde or Johnson.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Did you fill out a roster of 23 players?

Adding 9.6 for those 3 gives

11/5/2 for 76.2+ 9.6=85.8
5 players to fill out for $1M each is $5M
$90.8M total for 14/7/2

That means you need to cut $9M.

You need to move 2 of those 4 forwards.

What might be the better moves...

Move Cernak /Serg with One of the 4 F for an ELC or low bridge Dman saving you around $5M net

Thrn trade another one of those F for pick/prospect for a net of $4M in savings.

Palat(5.3) Point(6.75) Kucherov(9.5)
Johnson(5) Cirelli(×) Stamkos(8.5)
Goodrow(925k) Gourde(5.16) Coleman(1.8)
Verheaghe(800k) Stephens(800k) Joseph(700k)
Volkov(700k)

Hedman(7.88) Foote(925k)
McDonagh(6.75) Cernak(×)
Sergachev(×) Coburn(1.7)

Vasilevskiy(9.5)
McElhinney(1.3)

73.3M with the big 3 RFA's to sign with 8.2M to get it done. Everyone will say that's not enough to sign those 3 but it's possible. The following season we will be moving Johnson in either a trade or the expansion draft. We also may lose Gourde or Palat in the draft or trade so an additional 10M+ is coming open. So the big 3 can take a smaller deal this summer to cash out next summer. Sergachev(3.2) Cirelli(3) Cernak(2) and they get another Cup run and could double that money next year.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Assuming Vegas is able to move out a few players like Marchessault and MAF, they might have cap space to take Gourde.

Let's also assume Gourde is willing to waive his full NTC only for Vegas because they are exempt from the expansion draft.

What kind of sweetener does Tampa add to move out his contract in order to get their RFAs signed?

edit: no aspartame jokes, please
Moving out Marchessault while adding Gourde makes no sense, You're basically adding a 3rd liner making $5.1m for 5 more years. You'd probably need to move out both Marc Andre-Fleury and Paul Stastny to be able to afford to take on Gourde and his arocious contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Don't understand why Vegas would move Marchessault, he wasn't great this playoff, but he was excellent the past two years. Stone's their best forward, but I feel like Marschessault brings creativity that is key to their success.

Also, I'd love Palat, Gourde, Johnson, or Killorn in San Jose, but I don't see why they'd trade out of Tampa. No state income tax, elite team, low-cost of living in a great town, and valued members of the team. It's not like they've fallen out of favor, or lost their spot. Not saying Tampa's screwed- they always work things out- but I'll be impressed if they can move Gourde or Johnson.

Killorn won't have a choice once the league year ends. Palat, Gourde, and Johnson have full NTC's. If it's about the money for them then Vegas, Dallas, and Florida will likely be acceptable for them. They will have to move someone so they will likely have to ask someone in order to be cap compliant.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The Bolts won't have to add any sweetener to trade any of the guys potentially on the table between Palat, Gourde, Johnson, and Killorn. They may trade them for cheap but they won't need to add anything to anyone to move them wherever they want to go.

Sorry...not the case.

Only the following teams could afford one of the 4 F...this is without thrm signing their UFAs. RFAs are signed to the same they were at last year. This will be off for some of these teams eith RFAs owed high salary.

These numbers are the teams signing RFAs only thrn filling out roster with $1M players.

Buffalo, Boston, Calgary, Colorado, dallas, Detroit, Florida, LA, Minnesota, Rangers, New Jersey, Ottawa, San Jose, and Vancouver.

Vancouver needs space in the short term ( next 3 yrs) so they are out, as is buffalo, New Jersey, Rangers, LA for the same reason. Detroit’s day Ottawa are rebuilding so taking these salaries doesn’t help them.

Boston, dallas, Florida, Minnesota, San Jose are left

Calgary needs to sign defense using up their space.

This is assuming you are trading one of the 4 for nothing on 23 man coming back.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sorry...not the case.

Only the following teams could afford one of the 4 F...this is without thrm signing their UFAs. RFAs are signed to the same they were at last year. This will be off for some of these teams eith RFAs owed high salary.

These numbers are the teams signing RFAs only thrn filling out roster with $1M players.

Buffalo, Boston, Calgary, Colorado, dallas, Detroit, Florida, LA, Minnesota, Rangers, New Jersey, Ottawa, San Jose, and Vancouver.

Vancouver needs space in the short term ( next 3 yrs) so they are out, as is buffalo, New Jersey, Rangers, LA for the same reason. Detroit’s day Ottawa are rebuilding so taking these salaries doesn’t help them.

Boston, dallas, Florida, Minnesota, San Jose are left

Calgary needs to sign defense using up their space.

This is assuming you are trading one of the 4 for nothing on 23 man coming back.

Detroit and Ottawa would help them if they get the player for cheap and can turn around and get more for them later so there's no reason to exclude them. All Tampa needs is two of those four teams anyway and they certainly would trade for Killorn for a 2nd or any of the three for the same if it was made available to them.

Ledge And Dairy

Doubt Tampa is interested in moving Gourde right now, especially if it costs them a sweetener. He has had a great playoffs and shows a lot of synergy with the other members of the 3rd line. Killorn, Coburn, Paquette, and Johnson will be prioritized in moving. None of which should cost sweeteners.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ideally its Johnson. But its not going to be easy. Paquette is another piece that could be sold for scraps. Could lower it to needing like 2.5 million.
We will likely save a few bucks on D too. Bogosian is at 1.3 if I'm not mistaken? Shattenkirk at 1.75. We could probably save close to a million between them. This is why I think there's no way we let Cernak go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad