Gotta pick one ... Canes next Captain

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I've seen you and a couple others with this opinion on here, and I don't get it. Skinners almost introverted at times? Ok, so what? I don't think Slavin is much different. In fact, most proponents of Slavin being captain basically state the same thing, saying he'll lead by example on the ice without saying much. I'd say Skinner did just that last season, being the clear leader on offence. So why is basically the same trait a positive for Slavin but a negative for Skinner?

I don't see the two as similar at all. Slavin is very at ease in the "lime light" and doesn't look uncomfortable with it at all. He's very humble, so frequently doesn't want the limelight, but still, he's poised, comfortable and at ease with it. That's not what I see with Skinner. Watch any post game interview with Skinner in the locker room. Constant ticks (usually adjusting his shirt in the neck area), frequently doesn't look the camera in the eye, etc. He comes across as a guy that doesn't want to be there. But that's not the only thing that makes me think Skinner isn't "captain" material. Roddy was never very comfortable in front of the camera and hated the limelight but had a ton of other qualities which made him an excellent captain.

I watched 2 practices all of last year (so sample size is clearly limited, but consistent with what I saw other years). Both practices, Skinner was the "class clown" of the practice. Giving Lindholm a facewash when nobody was looking. Jokingly shooting pucks into guys skates as they were standing there...etc. I don't think that's a BAD thing as he loves the sport and is having fun out there, I just think he has more of that "goofy kid" mentality that I personally don't think is right for captain. I've seen it other times as well.

I really like the fact that Skinner has some fire, that you can see he hates to lose. While there's definitely a line to walk, I think that passion is just what this team could use.

100% agree. I've been a defender of Skinner's fire and desire to win when many others are saying "grow up". Still, he let's his emotions get the best of him too much and hurts the team with his actions (like he did with Ristolainen). I'm fine with that because of the passion, but I don't want my captain losing his cool, yelling at the refs constantly, etc.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, and I don't want to seem like I'm calling you out specifically. There just seems to be some inconsistencies with the arguments against Skinner.

Oh, no worries. I don't take it personally if we disagree. None of us are in the locker room, none of us are at every practice, etc....so we are giving our opinions based on only a small amount of viewings. I could be VERY wrong about him. I personally don't think there is an inconsistency in the argument though (as I explained above). I DO see a lot of positives when it comes to Skinner and being a captain. He has an amazing dedication and off-season work ethic since day 1. He has a fire/desire to win that is top notch. He is one of the few guys on the team that can actually put the team on his back at times.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yeah, I meant it as a prediction. We've debated the merits of our own picks for a while, and with the announcement coming shortly I'd imagine, I thought it would be good to hold us all accountable.

I personally wouldn't mind Williams, because he'd be a popular choice, easy to sell to everyone. But if we're announcing our presence to the league as an up-and-coming fast, young, dynamic team, I think Skinner should be the guy to do that.

What announces our presence is winning. The captain should not be a choice to sell. It's not a marketing decision.

When the team loses 3 in a row on the road, who's gonna close the door and blister the paint off the walls? From what I see, there's only one guy in the room with the standing and temperament to do that, and it's Mister Game 7.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Skinner has been visibly uncomfortable every time I have seen him interacting with fans or in live interviews (not game-related). Likeable, pleasant, and smiling... but pretty introverted.

Went to a luncheon last year with Tripp, John, and Chuck. Same question came up and someone mentioned Skinner, the three of them literally LOLed and shook their heads. They were split between Slavin and Aho (too young - but branded by the three as a natural fiery leader).

Reactions: sheriff bart

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Went to a luncheon last year with Tripp, John, and Chuck. Same question came up and someone mentioned Skinner, the three of them literally LOLed and shook their heads. They were split between Slavin and Aho (too young - but branded by the three as a natural fiery leader).

To me, that right there is pretty telling. Guys that do see these guys day in and day out immediately dismiss it as a possibility.

I still expect it to be Williams for the next 2 years and then one of Aho or Slavin (or somebody else) steps up and takes it once Williams is gone.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Sebastian Aho, will be captain someday anyway, so why not now ???

For a guy of his age and NHL experience to be a captain, you really need to be in an elite category. I'm talking the McDavid and Crosby level elite. Sometimes, it's not about how good or how much leadership a young guy has, but also how other players would view anointing someone with so little experience.

Aho may be the guy someday, but I think it would be a mistake to have him be the guy now. Both in how his teammates would view it and for his own personal development.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I think Skinner has more than paid his dues and if it were up to me I would seriously consider giving him that C. But it's not up to me and I think that what's likely to happen is giving it to Williams for 2 years and letting it transition to Slavin when he moves on. I hope it doesn't leave a sour taste in Skinner's mouth as we need him to have the fire that he had last season from the get-go. His first game with the A at home against the Rangers was something to behold.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
100% agree. I've been a defender of Skinner's fire and desire to win when many others are saying "grow up". Still, he let's his emotions get the best of him too much and hurts the team with his actions (like he did with Ristolainen). I'm fine with that because of the passion, but I don't want my captain losing his cool, yelling at the refs constantly, etc.

He had every right to "lose his cool" in that situation. The team is ****ing weak and I lost a good amount of respect for Peters for his comments after that **** (and yes, I'm still unreasonably pissed about it). "Too much" and "yelling at the refs constantly" are overstatements, if not complete ********. A few years ago, I couldn't stand Skinner's ****. So much so it was part of the reason I was warm to the idea of trading him. He's completely changed my opinion of him over the last few years (which just so happened to coincide with the new regime coming in). I rarely see him chirp the refs or ***** and moan like he did in the past. He's no worse than 90% of the other captains in the league. Since Eric has left, he's taken even more strides.

Every interview he gives, even if he looks a little uncomfortable or gives his "ahh shucks" smile, is exactly what I'd want from a leader. You won't find a single example of him giving himself credit or passing blame over the last couple of years. I watch every interview just to see if I can catch him, and no matter how many times they set him up to talk about himself, he defers to his teammates and "we".

It's as though you and others like Chuck and Forslund (who happen to be from a similar age demographic ;)) will always view him as the "whiny kid" and any slip, regardless of how infrequent, will paint him that way.

You did bring up a fair point about the goofy practice type stuff, but at least he's serious when he needs to be.

All that said, I voted Williams. :)

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
I think after last year this is definitely Skinner's team, so I say give him the C. He doesn't cower behind the letter, it helps him thrive.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Maybe we go a similar routes as the preds with the associate captain thing.

Captain - Justin Williams
Associate Captain - Jeff Skinner
Assistant Captain - Jordan Staal
Assistant Captain - Justin Faulk
Assistant Captain - Slavin/Rask

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He had every right to "lose his cool" in that situation. The team is ****ing weak and I lost a good amount of respect for Peters for his comments after that **** (and yes, I'm still unreasonably pissed about it). "Too much" and "yelling at the refs constantly" are overstatements, if not complete ********.

Meh...Maybe, maybe not. There's getting upset about it and there's throwing a tantrum and hurting your team in the process. We don't know what Peters and other coaches told him on bench before this, or in prior games. Maybe they've been telling him not to let these guys get under his skin and not lose his cool? etc.. On the surface, yeah, it would have been nice if someone on the Canes stepped up, but isn't it also telling that nobody did? Yes, Canes are a soft team, but I've seen them stand up for others, even if it was just coming up and shoving a guy. Again, I didn't have a huge issue with it from Skinner at the time as he has that fire, but I do think it reflects on his ability to be captain.

And while he's gotten better, he still yells at and whines to the refs regularly. I'm a huge Skinner fan and even I can recognize that, so not sure why you are acting like it doesn't happen...it does.

It's as though you and others like Chuck and Forslund (who happen to be from a similar age demographic ;)) will always view him as the "whiny kid" and any slip, regardless of how infrequent, will paint him that way.

LOL...give me a break Rod. It's as though you and others want to believe something so much you can't look objectively at it. ;) I'm a huge Skinner fan and have always been a big proponent of his. Go back and read the old threads. I was one that liked his fire and defended him when others said "grow up". But I can objectively view his actions and how they would be viewed negatively as a captain. Yes, he's gotten better (as I said earlier), but it still happens and thus IMO, and impacts his ability to be captain.

With that, I'll leave you to your unreasonable anger about it. :)

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I will let that Risto **** go when Peters holds a press conference and issues a public apology to Skinner.

Every, lets call them passionate, captain in the league flips their **** as much as, if not more than, Skinner now. I get where you're coming from, and we probably agree more than I let on, but I don't think he gets the credit he's due. One of my main hangups with him with a C is that refs hang onto that history like you other dinosaurs :)sarcasm:). I think garnering their respect is a big piece of being a captain, which I don't think he's been able to do.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I will let that Risto **** go when Peters holds a press conference and issues a public apology to Skinner.

:laugh: I hope he never does. That way I'll just have to bring it up from time to time just for fun.

Every, lets call them passionate, captain in the league flips their **** as much as, if not more than, Skinner now. I get where you're coming from, and we probably agree more than I let on, but I don't think he gets the credit he's due. One of my main hangups with him with a C is that refs hang onto that history like you other dinosaurs :)sarcasm:). I think garnering their respect is a big piece of being a captain, which I don't think he's been able to recapture yet.

That's probably true and a good point.

Dec 30, 2013
Pretty much any action can be viewed as a bad action for a captain by people that don't want the player to be the captain. And Pretty much any action can be viewed as something you would want a captain to do by people that want the player to be that captain.

Skinner gets upset? "He needs to grow up!" vs. "Good. A captain should get upset at **** like that."

Skinner doesn't get upset? "He clearly doesn't care enough." vs. "He acted maturely."

I want Skinner to get the C but I expect Williams will.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Pretty much any action can be viewed as a bad action for a captain by people that don't want the player to be the captain. And Pretty much any action can be viewed as something you would want a captain to do by people that want the player to be that captain.

Skinner gets upset? "He needs to grow up!" vs. "Good. A captain should get upset at **** like that."

Skinner doesn't get upset? "He clearly doesn't care enough." vs. "He acted maturely."

I want Skinner to get the C but I expect Williams will.

That's true, but I look at it less about who a person does or does not want to be captain and look at it more that people have their own views of what attributes makes and doesn't make for a good captain. It's less about the person than the attributes for me. I honestly wouldn't care if any of the selections in this poll were named captain as I like all of these players so it's not about "not wanting them to be captain". I just have certain views, which differ from others, about what makes and doesn't make a good captain and explained why certain players aren't as optimal (in my eyes) to hold that position.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
.... So do polls not exist anymore? I'm very dazed and confused with this change/update thing.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'd chose Slavin. He's a great mature passionate player but most importantly it's his humbleness and humanitarian outlook in real life. I want a captain that's great on and off the ice, he can't only be a great person in one area.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If a new poll is put up, I'm voting "other". Either Hank or Halle will get my vote. Halle has more ability to put the team on his back, but Hank is that grizzled vet who has been there, done that. Tough choice.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
Bill peters or GM RF said that they would let the players have a say in it also. i can not find the tweet that said that but they also posted a few days later that Jeff Skinners name came up a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad