Post-Game Talk: Got schooled by Patrick Kane and the Hawks. Leafs lose 4-0.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Winnik should be the 4th line center.

Send smith down.

Panik plays in komorovs spot till he is back.

Call up kozun, frattin or leivo

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Can we really have a top line that is essentially a rush line? I doubt it and it's getting rather clear that Bozak, Kessel and JVR should be separated. I'd even go as far as suggesting that we have Holland, Panik and Kessel on their own line. That puts two North-South forwards with one being more physical, the other being more stronger positionally and a top offensive contributor at wing.

The Kadri - JVR pair can work, but we'll need to be patient here. Santa is the perfect third linemate while the Bozak - Lupul pair can be productive as well.

JVR - Kadri - Santa

Panik - Holland - Kessel

Lupul - Bozak - Clarkson

Winnik - Smith -

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yes, the Hawks have created new hockey fans since winning the cup in 2010, which is just an awful thing to see. But seriously, make sure you understand Chicago's ownership history before judging an (at the time) alienated fanbase.

I know full well who Dollar Bill Wirtz is and the crap he pulled (not televising games, among other crap). Just know that we had to deal with the worst owner in NHL history (Ballard), one of only 2 owners IMO worse than Wirtz (Norm Green being the other) who was also a disgusting human being, so we know even worse.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
If you think turning into the Oilers/Sabres for the next 5 years is even an option Shanahan would be given by his bosses, then you're living in fantasy land.

No unlike the oilers we trade Kessel, Phanuef, Bozak, and Lupul, who are all tradable, for talent you win with. Even if they are 22 and under and haven't necessarily blossomed yet. Then 3-5 years down the road we will actually be legitimate favorites for the Stanley Cup. IMO its better than being a team that will never win for the next 8 years.

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
Well guys it was a good 97 seasons guess it's over.
jk.
Honestly though everyone knew the leafs were gonna go into a losing streak as soon as they lost to carolina, I even knew it when we were three games into the winning streak as soon as it's over they'll go on a losing streak. But the team needs to chill now, regroup and just pullup their socks start playing as a team, and playing their hockey instead of playing other team's hockey.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Comfortably out of the playoffs.....

By the end of the road trip. We can then start unloading our aging, overpaid core before all those contracts rip this team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Just caught the very end. Why were the Hawks weepy? What happened?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Cue another long losing streak? These road games are going to kill them. I have no faith

The popular excuse around here is that Kessel/Phaneuf need help.
I'm sorry but this is the exact time that our "core" pull us out of this slide.
That's why they are the core and signed long term.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Game
The Hawks played without much effort, without really ever being into the game. The two points was there for the taking, you pretty much don't get a better opportunity than this. It's just that the Leafs equaled their effort, and don't have the same base skill to rely on as the Hawks have.

EDIT: To give some more info on why the ratings are so low. The Hawks didn't play a good game, they were giving us the initiative and was sitting back, and didn't even really pounce on their chances with a lot of authority. There were lanes and opportunities there for the taking, and a team that went into this game with even average intensity for an NHL team would be getting results. Instead we barely held on to the initiative through the night, created very few chances and screwed up a lot on those basic things that we actually did well in the beginning of the season, such as covering each other and giving support on the breakout. They had an easy time creating rather good chances, and while they were effective in a a general sense, they had a disproportionate amount of good chances compared to actual shots.

Which probably means that I'm underselling Reimer a bit here.

Good assessment.

Hawks didn't play to their Cup competitive level that they're capable of, they just needed to play at the Leafs level of compete and let the skill differential make the difference on the scoresheet and boxscore.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Yes, the Hawks have created new hockey fans since winning the cup in 2010, which is just an awful thing to see. But seriously, make sure you understand Chicago's ownership history before judging an (at the time) alienated fanbase.

Yeah, You're not gonna win in the 'bad owner' competition.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
You know what, honestly the Leafs didn't play that bad this game.
That goal with 0.4 seconds left was a *****. I didn't watch the last 7-8 minutes of the game (because at that point the final score was ruined for me, I was watching the game recorded)
So I am not sure how Chicago scored their last 2 goals but up until that point when it was 2-0 Leafs weren't playing horrible they just couldn't get any bounces. Reimer was good

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
You know what, honestly the Leafs didn't play that bad this game.
That goal with 0.4 seconds left was a *****. I didn't watch the last 7-8 minutes of the game (because at that point the final score was ruined for me, I was watching the game recorded)
So I am not sure how Chicago scored their last 2 goals but up until that point when it was 2-0 Leafs weren't playing horrible they just couldn't get any bounces. Reimer was good

Chi did enough to win , got out on top early, contained the leafs and then broke them in the 3rd

Leafs didn't fight for it

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'd like to hear an argument, backed by numbers/facts rather than a 1-game sample, that proves that either guy is clearly superior.

To me, they are virtually the same player. Fast, great hands, great shot. One just happens to play on a much better team.

Perception wise, fairly or unfairly, one is viewed as a loser and the other as a winner. I'm guessing because of this if you made a poll on the main board that 75-80% would pick Kane over Kessel.

Not saying I disagree with you.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The major advantage Kane has over Kessel is he shows up for the Hawks when they need him. He's a winner, he scores big goals. He is not afraid. Having an elite skilled player that is not afraid of contact, that can play in the dirty areas of the ice is an asset. Does Kessel do this? Yes when the game is a no hitter.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We need a number 1 center obviously :(
It's comical really that wehaven't been able to get one since Mats

We had to trade for Gilmour and Sundin
Can we do it again ? does Nonis have the balls to give up something significant to get one?

Or, we just wait for Nylander.

Why trade assets when we have one developing?

hockeyfanz*

The major advantage Kane has over Kessel is he shows up for the Hawks when they need him. He's a winner, he scores big goals. He is not afraid. Having an elite skilled player that is not afraid of contact, that can play in the dirty areas of the ice is an asset. Does Kessel do this? Yes when the game is a no hitter.

Guess who leads the league in GWG???

Yup....that Patrick Kane guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad