Signing(s): Gordon Hayward to the Celtics

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What the hell? A few people, including Zach Lowe, confirmed it was done.

Feels like they didn't like the word getting out and wanted to be the first ones to tell the Jazz. It would be hilarious if he went back on it though.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
If Hayward ends up signing with Boston then it will have a huge impact on how the rest of the roster looks for this coming season.

from espn.com:

Boston would now need a series of transactions to create cap space for Gordon Hayward. The Celtics would have to pull the qualifying offer on Kelly Olynyk, renounce free agents Jonas Jerebko, James Young, Gerald Green and waive the contracts of Jordan Mickey and Demetrius Jackson (or trade). The Celtics would be left with $27.6M in room and likely need to move the contract of Terry Rozier or Marcus Smart. Trading Rozier would have the Celtics short $1M of a max salary a lot.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
This must be such a tough decision. I would probably leave the west. Why bother getting swept by Golden State for the next few years? Go east and pray. LeBron goes west or something.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This must be such a tough decision. I would probably leave the west. Why bother getting swept by Golden State for the next few years? Go east and pray. LeBron goes west or something.

Utah can't give him the max but they can give him the most $$ out of any team. They are up-and-coming too.

If Hayward ends up signing with Boston then it will have a huge impact on how the rest of the roster looks for this coming season.

from espn.com:

Boston would now need a series of transactions to create cap space for Gordon Hayward. The Celtics would have to pull the qualifying offer on Kelly Olynyk, renounce free agents Jonas Jerebko, James Young, Gerald Green and waive the contracts of Jordan Mickey and Demetrius Jackson (or trade). The Celtics would be left with $27.6M in room and likely need to move the contract of Terry Rozier or Marcus Smart. Trading Rozier would have the Celtics short $1M of a max salary a lot.

Their master plan of signing Hayward and then trading for PG failed, so good for them on probably securing the #1 seed and then losing in the playoffs to the Cavs.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
As expected, the delay was because Chris Haynes broke the news before Hayward could put out the article. I was really hoping he'd go back on his original decision because of how insufferable Celtics fans already are but oh well.

That's a big get for the Celtics. Hayward's in his prime and should be a perfect fit there. They're set up perfectly for when LeBron leaves the Cavs next summer.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Another loss for a small market NBA franchise. Sigh. At least Milwaukee is cooking up something good.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
As expected, the delay was because Chris Haynes broke the news before Hayward could put out the article. I was really hoping he'd go back on his original decision because of how insufferable Celtics fans already are but oh well.

That's a big get for the Celtics. Hayward's in his prime and should be a perfect fit there. They're set up perfectly for when LeBron leaves the Cavs next summer.
IF he goes west

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
leaving utah was a no brainer

stay and make it to the 2nd round? or go east and make it one round further? i bet the jazz are regretting giving GH's buddy ingles that stupid contract right about now

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Sorry for the Jazz but happy for Gordon to be back with his coach. Unfortunately I don't think this really moves the needle too much for the Celtics. They're still clearly 2nd best in the East.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nice move. Cavs may finally have a team in the East that can go toe-to-toe with them.

If the Celtics added both George and Hayward, sure.

People seem to forget the Cavaliers beat the Celtics by an average of almost 26 points in their 4 wins during the Eastern Conference Finals. They are not beating Cleveland by only adding Hayward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad