Podcast (Audio) Gord Stellick

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Gord Stellick, John Fergusson Jr, Kyle Dubas...maybe we shouldn't be giving rookies the GM job . Will we ever learn though?
And their still letting dubas run things
91.7 radio I detroit calling the leafs the detroit lions of hockey lol
That's low

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Burke Nonis And Fletcher set this franchise back years.
Not really seeing as Burke was brought in to clean up JFJ's mess and was pushed to win quickly because of those years. Nonis was meant to carry it on . JFJ made a lot of awful moves like trading Rask and the pick that landed Roman Josi with some real mediocre drafting set up the future GM's with a significantly tough task of rebuilding the team. Sure, Quinn didn't make it easy , but he inherited one of the better squads in the league and managed 1 playoff appearance in 4 seasons. At least with Burke and Nonis they managed to draft Kadri , Engvall , Johnsson , Brown , Rielly, Nylander and to a lesser extent, Verhaeghe.

I'm not sure how Fletcher set the franchise back, he traded away an injury prone defencemen and a struggling forward for a struggling forward. He shed salary by trading McCabe, Gill, and Kilger and brought in draft picks that didn't pan out, it happens. He did acquire Grabovski and draft Schenn, which isn't bad for a less than 1 year tenure.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yup, Albert Einstein covered that one by his definition of insanity. :)
Is there a route this team hasn't tried? I remember young GMs, old GMs, middle career GMs. Some relatively unknown, some considered the best in the biz, others considered done and over the hill. Same with coaches. Still, no cups or even finals appearances.

Last edited:

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Toronto Sun sports editor George Gross' nephew wasn't terribly different from the current GM. He was sold as a new youthful approach to hockey management. The trends of his day were different but it was a similar situation: a fresh faced smooth talker with a superficially likeable demeanor who had the ear of the upper management and positive press. Stellick didn't last long in the job due to the increasingly flighty decision making of an owner suffering from worsening dementia.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Not really seeing as Burke was brought in to clean up JFJ's mess and was pushed to win quickly because of those years. Nonis was meant to carry it on . JFJ made a lot of awful moves like trading Rask and the pick that landed Roman Josi with some real mediocre drafting set up the future GM's with a significantly tough task of rebuilding the team. Sure, Quinn didn't make it easy , but he inherited one of the better squads in the league and managed 1 playoff appearance in 4 seasons. At least with Burke and Nonis they managed to draft Kadri , Engvall , Johnsson , Brown , Rielly, Nylander and to a lesser extent, Verhaeghe.

I'm not sure how Fletcher set the franchise back, he traded away an injury prone defencemen and a struggling forward for a struggling forward. He shed salary by trading McCabe, Gill, and Kilger and brought in draft picks that didn't pan out, it happens. He did acquire Grabovski and draft Schenn, which isn't bad for a less than 1 year tenure.

We not doing this. If you can't see it, that's on you not me.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
For as long as I live I never want a rookie GM in charge of the Leafs again. 3 f*** ups is more than enough to tell you it doesn’t work. Sure, we’ve had vet GMs like Burke and Nonis f*** up this franchise too, but there have also been veteran GMs who’ve led this team to the little success this franchise has experienced, you can’t say that about a rookie GM. Fletcher and Quinn might not have won it all but they were a hell of a lot better than any of Stellick, JFJ, and Dubas.

You even have recent loser or new comer. Your choice. You rarely get proven winner from anywhere, because why they would come here? This is hard market and fans are always bitchin about something. Now it is this Einstein & Churchill bullshit in this thread like things in hockey world are simple.

Dubas has tweaked his approach after every season his been here. He painted himself in the corner with those RFA contracts and can't do that much because of it. Though he started behind eight ball, because Lous contract magic. So it has been slow build for our defence. We got screwed twice, once by those contracts and second was covid.

We already changed our draft strategy twice and those were drastic changes. We got experienced guy in Hunter and he was worse than Morrison. Now Dubas is doing his thing and we don't even know yet if it's working. As team we have gone from skill approach to more hybrid over time.

If you make drastic changes season after season after season and then major shake up every three years you never win. Never. Not in cap world. All this recent good teams has built their systems for years before contending. Tampa Bay had 10-15 years build. Even pre cap era Detroit had long build up.

If we every time lose our patience too early, we're going to do same mistake over and over again. That is not having patience. I think that dictated failures of JFJ and Burke, because our ownership wanted us to do quick retooling. Same that Oilers wanted with Chiarelli, now they're on the no mans land.

I don't know if Dubas is right GM for this team, but I'd rather try with this core once more than gave up year too early. Even after that we have good building blocks in place and we can do basicly anything we want. I see logic what he does outside of Marners contract that I can't get trough my head. Even with Nylander and Matthews he messed up negotiations, but didn't make as drastic mistake that he made with Mitch. Though every GM will make mistakes, sometimes even big mistakes and Lou that we miss so dearly have made bunch of those and I don't he have learned thing about those last 10 years. With Dubas I think we have chance that he learns his lessons.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Fletcher brought us Gilmour .. for that we should all be grateful .. best player we have had here since Keon

Reactions: the squared circle

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Fletcher brought us Gilmour .. for that we should all be grateful .. best player we have had here since Keon

Cliff Fletcher also made the Sundin trade as well as Gilmour. Can you picture the Leafs the last 25 years without those 2 captains.

You could argue the most telling and informative element about the entire trade was the second deal that happened after Mats Sundin was moved to the Maple Leafs on the morning of the 1994 NHL draft in Hartford. The first one was, of course, earth-shaking enough.

“They wouldn’t let me into bars and restaurants in Toronto,” jokes Cliff Fletcher more than two decades later about the trading of Leaf captain Wendel Clark.

So before we retell how Sundin became a Leaf and Clark a Quebec Nordique on the draft floor back on June 28, 1994, the kind of dramatic swap some think could happen this week before Friday’s draft in Florida, consider what happened immediately after the 1994 trade, which sent Sundin, prospect Todd Warriner, defenceman Garth Butcher and Quebec’s first round choice (10th overall) to the Leafs for Clark, defenceman Sylvain Lefebvre, prospect Landon Wilson and Toronto’s first rounder (22nd overall).

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad