Podcast (Audio) Gord Stellick

Khall9

Apr 28, 2021
Really fun interview with NHL insider Gord Stellick. Stellick shares some great stories from his life in hockey. Including some good ones from his time with the Toronto Maple Leafs where he was the youngest GM in NHL history at the time of his hire. Gord also talks about the upcoming NHL offseason and some possible moves teams will make.

Apple Podcast:
‎The Broadway Hat Podcast: Ep. 30- Gord Stellick on Apple Podcasts
Spotify:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
In a 1948 speech to the House of Commons, Winston Churchill paraphrased when he said 'Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it".
And don’t forget those that do the same thing but expect a different result…

Reactions: saltming

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Gord Stellick, John Fergusson Jr, Kyle Dubas...maybe we shouldn't be giving rookies the GM job . Will we ever learn though?
Considering the Leafs haven't won in 54 years and they've hired plenty of experienced GM's in that time, too, you can play the same game with them...

Geez, Ballard even brought back Punch Imlach because he won the last Leaf Cup, so of course he'd know what to do to make them a winner in 1980, right?

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
We were best friends from 6-10. We kinda of rocked, an experimental school, called Davisville. Half deaf, half 'normal' .
We both skipped a grade, dominated athletics and academics. But, he was more careful than me. He avoided, the brawl's between the deaf and the hearing.

I spent half my day either beating the shit out of my best friends for picking on deaf people, or being smoked by guys aged ten, when I was six, defending the deaf.

We both swore to play for the leafs.

He got closer initially, but I went on to play pro sports, have the highest paying job , teaching tennis in the world, so I guess we did pretty well surviving, what has been called, the most evil experiment, of the last 50 years.

Me, maybe 90 concusssions.

School was buried very quietly. All of us called it Davis hell.

My mom had me at 15, lived with my grandparents, I would come home every day covered in blood, shirt and pants ripped apart.

I think there is a pretty good movie there, well, I know there is.

School yard was pure concrete. No grass any where.

When the whistle blew for recess, it was according to my jailbird contacts, pretty close to the yard in jail, but it was two world's that scared each other.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
We were best friends from 6-10. We kinda of rocked, an experimental school, called Davisville. Half deaf, half 'normal' .
We both skipped a grade, dominated athletics and academics. But, he was more careful than me. He avoided, the brawl's between the deaf and the hearing.

I spent half my day either beating the shit out of my best friends for picking on deaf people, or being smoked by guys aged ten, when I was six, defending the deaf.

He got closer initially, but I went on to play pro sports, have the highest paying job , teaching tennis in the world, so I guess we did pretty well surviving, what has been called, the most evil experiment, of the last 50 years.

My mom had me at 15, lived with my grandparents, I would come home every day covered in blood, shirt and pants ripped apart.

When the whistle blew for recess, it was according to my jailbird contacts, pretty close to the yard in jail, but it was two world's that scared each other.
I thought he lived in North York growing up.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Gord Stellick, John Fergusson Jr, Kyle Dubas...maybe we shouldn't be giving rookies the GM job . Will we ever learn though?

For as long as I live I never want a rookie GM in charge of the Leafs again. 3 f*** ups is more than enough to tell you it doesn’t work. Sure, we’ve had vet GMs like Burke and Nonis f*** up this franchise too, but there have also been veteran GMs who’ve led this team to the little success this franchise has experienced, you can’t say that about a rookie GM. Fletcher and Quinn might not have won it all but they were a hell of a lot better than any of Stellick, JFJ, and Dubas.

Reactions: hamzarocks

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
He lived on Davisville Avenue, block away from Davis Hell.

It was by far and away, the closest thing, a six year old could get, to being on the yard in max security.

He was interviewed by a good friend of mine, Joe Tilley, on his podcast two weeks ago.

Gord is a great guy, but he doesn't speak of what we experienced. Me, any time.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Uphill both ways too.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Considering the Leafs haven't won in 54 years and they've hired plenty of experienced GM's in that time, too, you can play the same game with them...

Geez, Ballard even brought back Punch Imlach because he won the last Leaf Cup, so of course he'd know what to do to make them a winner in 1980, right?
Running the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey club is not a job for a rookie, this isn't a job you take over and are learning while you do it, this isn't a trade school. It took a veteran general manager in Lou Lamoriello to clean up the mess left behind by a rookie GM which caused a ripple effect for future GM's expecting playoffs every year.

And lets be honest here, Harold Ballard did whatever he wanted and ruined the club far worse than any GM he employed.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018

Meth?

Reactions: hamzarocks

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Gord is a great story teller. Much better story teller than GM ;-)

The best part is that he fully admits that, and talks often about that time and the craziness around it.

He's good on the radio too, don't get to hear him often but when I do I enjoy him.

Reactions: CincoHolio

horner

May 22, 2007

Imlach ruined the leafs or gutted them for some reason .
Lanny McDonald the HOF McDonald was traded to Colorado for Wilf and Quenneville.
Then traded HOF Sittler for scraps

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Imlach ruined the leafs or gutted them for some reason .
Lanny McDonald the HOF McDonald was traded to Colorado for Wilf and Quenneville.
Then traded HOF Sittler for scraps

Punch passed away before he completed that complete tear down. That was just before my time as a true fan, so I have only read what happened. Complete barnyard from 80-90 until Ballard was out of the picture.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Early on I compared Dubas to JFJ. Many people said I was wrong, said I didn't know what I was talking about. Now we can see its clear, he's in the Stellick-JFJ group of worst GMs in franchise history. It upsets me to be right, but I'm not surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad