TSN: Gord Miller / Jamie Noodles McLennan give their opinion on Michael Bunting

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
Let Bunting play first.. I don't see how he hasn't really been an "offensive player".. he's put up good AHL numbers and carried a bit of success over to the NHL.

Way to write-off a kid before we even give him a chance... Toronto Media! Hope Bunting lights it up and these commentators look stupid.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Perhaps, but one could argue that a 26 year old (when season starts) with a grand total of 26 NHL games may be wise to consider the present rather than think about a long term that would seem uncertain at best.
It's not unusual or inadvisable for a player in his position to sacrifice a little bit of money in the short-term in order to choose an advantageous situation over a disadvantageous situation. I'm not sure why anybody would question somebody wanting to get out of the dumpster fire that is the current Arizona Coyotes. Whether you agree with the reasoning is really irrelevant anyway - the fact is it happened.

Reactions: teddygmr

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It's not unusual or inadvisable for a player in his position to sacrifice a little bit of money in the short-term in order to choose an advantageous situation over a disadvantageous situation. I'm not sure why anybody would question somebody wanting to get out of the dumpster fire that is the current Arizona Coyotes. Whether you agree with the reasoning is really irrelevant anyway - the fact is it happened.

He claimed that multiple teams had made offers, and some of the offers were higher than the Leafs so it wasn't just limited to a choice between Toronto and Arizona.

And you are correct that my post contained an opinion, and that Bunting signing with the Leafs is a fact.

Nice to see progress on that front.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He claimed that multiple teams had made offers, and some of the offers were higher than the Leafs so it wasn't just limited to a choice between Toronto and Arizona. And you are correct that my post contained an opinion, and that Bunting signing with the Leafs is a fact.
I didn't say it was a choice between just Toronto and Arizona. The simple fact is, he received multiple offers, and he turned down better offers to sign with the Leafs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's an interesting signing....was it adrenaline after a call up coupled with a hot shooting % or late bloomer?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I didn't say it was a choice between just Toronto and Arizona. The simple fact is, he received multiple offers, and he turned down better offers to sign with the Leafs.

No? Seemed like you were implying that since we were talking about taking less money to come to Toronto.

"I'm not sure why anybody would question somebody wanting to get out of the dumpster fire that is the current Arizona Coyotes."

Fair enough, I guess I misinterpreted your intent.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No? Seemed like you were implying that since we were talking about taking less money to come to Toronto.
"I'm not sure why anybody would question somebody wanting to get out of the dumpster fire that is the current Arizona Coyotes."
Fair enough, I guess I misinterpreted your intent.
Nowhere there did I say it was just a choice between Toronto and Arizona. I mentioned Arizona because Arizona has been central to the entire discussion, and you responded to my post referencing that team. It seemed like you were suggesting that it would be inadvisable to sign for a bit less in somewhere like Toronto, instead of signing for a bit more in somewhere like Arizona - which I think a lot of people would disagree with.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Nowhere there did I say it was just a choice between Toronto and Arizona. I mentioned Arizona because Arizona has been central to the entire discussion, and you responded to my post referencing that team. It seemed like you were suggesting that it would be inadvisable to sign for a bit less in somewhere like Toronto, instead of signing for a bit more in somewhere like Arizona - which I think a lot of people would disagree with.

I didn't reference any team in my original response to your post. In fact, I didn't even disagree with your comment but merely offered another perspective on Bunting's decision to take a lower offer.

In my last post, I even said "I guess I misinterpreted your intent", yet you still remain argumentative.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ACC1224

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Not to discredit what Hyman did as a Maple Leaf, because he was undoubtedly a good player, but I think his heart and hustle might be clouding some people's memory. Don't forget, he had stretches where he played on the 3rd line or flubbed every scoring chance. His scoring numbers are mostly a product of opportunity.

Bunting could end up as a 15 goal 3rd liner and that would be close to what Hyman brought sometimes. And at a 5th the price.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Anybody think a player who scored a fair number of deflections would naturally have a high shooting percentage? (Not saying he’ll go 26% again obviously)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
What's interesting about Bunting is that while his 26.3 sh% was way high his oish% was just normal - 9.0% 5v5, 21.1% PP.

And of course even if you cut his sh% in half (and assume no extra assists off rebounds) he still ends up at a 20gl/31pt pace last year.

Reactions: Menzinger and banks

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Hyman grew into the player he is today.
Bunting is 3yrs younger Allow the kid to grow.

Bunting will be 26 when the season starts. Late bloomer Hyman had 180 NHL games plus 2 playoff series under his belt by the same age.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008

Hopefully he fills Austin in on how large of a dumpster fire there is in Arizona!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I didn't reference any team in my original response to your post. In fact, I didn't even disagree with your comment but merely offered another perspective on Bunting's decision to take a lower offer. In my last post, I even said "I guess I misinterpreted your intent", yet you still remain argumentative.
Wasn't being argumentative at all. I was merely providing explanation of why Arizona was referenced, since you seemed confused about it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Except he might play bigger minutes and in the top 6 with some PP time on a weaker team like he was given in Arizona post trade deadline last year on a non playoff team, while playing bottom 6 minutes with no PP time on a stronger team.

If one is deciding about what path to take to put up the most points and prove themselves at the NHL level after just 26 NHL total to date, then easier competition for roster and playing time and more opportunities should also be a consideration.

Think Connor Brown scenario here.. On the Leafs he was buried down the depth chart and deemed expendable and too costly at $2.1 mil AAV for a bottom 6 player when he scored 8 goals, while now in Ottawa he is key player that plays in their top 6 and scored 21 goals last year in 56 games (which was more goals than Marner 20) and recently got rewarded with a 3 year deal $10.8 mil [$3.6 mil AAV]

He would never have gotten that deal in Toronto, and players getting that money in Toronto don't score at his level as him. That's Alex Kerfoot $3.5 mil AAV money in Toronto, and he only scored 8 goals last year for that AAV). If Bunting scored 8 goals similarly he wouldn't be inline for a $3+ mil range next contract. He would be looking over his shoulder at young players like Robertson and Amirov etc to replace him on the roster, who are younger, cheaper with more NHL potential as he is 26 years old now.

Bigger fish in a little pond, or little fish in a bigger pond.

There's certainly advantages to each of the different situations. And his interpersonal relationships with Keefe/Dubas' seemingly was another advantage for Toronto during the recruitment stage (players want to be comfortable where they play).

The other advantages with Toronto is the potential to play alongside some of the leagues top offensive talent (be it Tavares or Matthews) and for his agent, there's no better way to up the league wide profile of your client than having him play in hockey night in Canada every week.

I suspect Bunting will have more opportunities to play in the Leafs top 6 than Brown who found himself stuck behind three better RWs a

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Doubtless there are better opportunities for players of his ilk elsewhere including Arizona. He'd need to be on an NHL PP to maximize his NHL numbers. It's highly doubtful barring a rash of injuries that he will get much if any PP time in Toronto.

I don't think PP opportunities were the main focus point of where he signed.

Playing a depth role in a major media market like Toronto or New York can potentially be better than playing a bigger role in a market that's barely paid attention too

Last edited:
Reactions: justashadowof

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't think PP opportunities were the main focus point of where he signed.

Playing a depth role in a major media market like Toronto or New York can potentially be better than playing a bigger role in a market that's barely paid attention too

I think being from Scarborough, the Dubas connection, and having a legitimate chance to be on a line with two of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares probably were the main reasons.

Dubas gave him a chance as an 18 year old after going undrafted in the OHL draft twice. A year later he was drafted in the 4th round of the NHL. I think he knows Dubas sees the value he brings as a Hyman-replacement.

Reactions: Menzinger

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I suspect Bunting will have more opportunities to play in the Leafs top 6 than Brown who found himself stuck behind three better RWs

Connor Brown was a 20 goal scorer in Toronto when he played with Hyman and Matthews in 2016-17, the year Matthews won the Calder.

When Brown was here also the Leafs had 20 goal scorers Hyman, Marleau, JVR patrolling the left side, and so you might be right as this is who is listed now in alphabetical order on Leafs LW entering training camp in 2021.

Left Wings
NameAgeHTWTShotBirth PlaceBirthdate
Michael Bunting265' 11"174 lbsLScarborough, ON09/17/95
Rich Clune345' 11"219 lbsLToronto, ON04/25/87
Pierre Engvall256' 5"214 lbsLLjungby, Sweden05/31/96
Ilya Mikheyev266' 3"195 lbsLOmsk, Russia10/10/94
Nick Ritchie256' 2"230 lbsLOrangeville, ON12/05/95
Nicholas Robertson205' 9"164 lbsLArcadia, CA11/09/01
Brett Seney255' 9"156 lbsLLondon, ON02/28/96
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Due to the leafs cap situation the entire off season is full of question marks and dice rolls. Bunting, Kase, Ritchie are the kind of guys cap strapped teams roll the dice on. So while it's fun to speculate, we have to let the dice fall on those guys first... At least let's see training camp...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad