TSN: Gord Miller / Jamie Noodles McLennan give their opinion on Michael Bunting

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
O-Dawg gives his opinion too.

Overdrive Hour 1 TSN 1050

Fans had a chance to make bold predictions.

One fan predicted: "Michael Bunting thrives in the Hyman role. Leafs fans praise Dubas for letting Zack Hyman walk."

O-Dawg:

"That is never going to happen."

Jamie McLennan:

"Hard working guy, but he's not a guy that jumps off the page. Let's put it that way. Not overly big. Plays hard though. Not an offensive player. His last 2 years in junior he had some offense."

Gord Miller:

"I tend to think no on that (the above prediction)."

Welcome to Toronto Michael. lol

Honestly. I don't think that their opinions of Bunting are meant to be hot takes, or to troll leaf fans. I did think it was rather far fetched that Leaf Fans (elite ones) were putting Bunting on the top line with Matthews and Marner.

Are you convinced that Bunting will play on the top line and will replace Hyman easily?

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010

One fan predicted: "Michael Bunting thrives in the Hyman role. Leafs fans praise Dubas for letting Zack Hyman walk."

O-Dawg:

Jamie McLennan:

"Hard working guy, but he's not a guy that jumps off the page. Let's put it that way. Not overly big. Plays hard though. Not an offensive player. His last 2 years in junior he had some offense."

Gord Miller:

Honestly. I don't think that their opinions of Bunting are meant to be hot takes, or to troll leaf fans. I did think it was rather far fetched that Leaf Fans (elite ones) were putting Bunting on the top line with Matthews and Marner.

Are you convinced that Bunting will play on the top line and will replace Hyman easily?

Nah - I think Bunting will end up in the bottom six after all is said and done. I don't think hes going to replace Hyman - but it took a while before Hyman was as effective as he is now as a player - and Hyman was just a random prospect they got for McKegg until he wasn't really.

They need to draft/develop the next Hyman for sure. I wouldn't bet on Bunting being that guy but he should still be an effective depth guy for them.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not sure if it will be Bunting, but there's no reason Matthews/Marner shouldn't be able to form a good top line with one of the left wingers the Leafs signed. Hyman's contributions to the top line are heavily overrated. A bigger concern is what the 3rd line will be like if they can't send Hyman down to carry it

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
There is a reason why he is signed to a contract under One mil.
If he has potential to become a top line player, other teams would have offered him 2mil and gamble to see if he can reach those potentials.
I think Kase will be the guy on AM and MM line. As he scores in traffic, tough and once thought to be a 30goals scorer, his only problem is staying healthy.

Reactions: justashadowof

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
If he has potential to become a top line player, other teams would have offered him 2mil and gamble to see if he can reach those potentials.
I think Kase will be the guy on AM and MM line. As he scores in traffic, tough and once thought to be a 30goals scorer, his only problem is staying healthy.

If Kase is healthy he could end up top 6 by years end, but he is a pure right winger, so i'd give him longer odds.
If he's in the top 6 it likely means Willie has slid over to left, or we are going three deep on the lines.
Willie - Matthews/Tavares - Kase

Bunting - Kampf - Anderson would be a great youngish 4th line with a little bite, problem is lots of people out of place (Spezza, Simmonds, Mik, Kerf, etc) then for a third line?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

If healthy, he certainly has a chance to fill that spot.

Reactions: Gabriel426

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Pretty close to a PPG in the AHL over a few years
Score huge in the O
10 Goals in 20 games in the show last year.

He is a perfect later bloomer. He is going to score 25 with 50-60 points in a top 6 role.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
What wonderful serendipity that the Leafs acquired a Hyman replacement for $1M aav who a cash starved Arizona didn't want to retain despite 6 seasons of pro development in the organization.

Reactions: egd27

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
The definition of another Human is pretty vague. I'd also say Hyman when Babcock was here and what he has become the last 2 years is quite different. I hated him on the top line with his no hands. But he has steadily improved and I didn't feel he was too out of place the last couple of years.

Can bunting be a 20goal scorer on the top line? Maybe, I'd hope whoever plays on that top line should be able to.

Is he going to to be a player fans are super polarized over if he plays on that line? Is that what our hope for him is?

Reactions: fahad203

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What wonderful serendipity that the Leafs acquired a Hyman replacement for $1M aav who a cash starved Arizona didn't want to retain despite 6 seasons of pro development in the organization.
Pretty sure the Leafs signed him as a UFA. Any reason why you think Arizona wouldn't have wanted to retain him?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Pretty sure the Leafs signed him as a UFA. Any reason why you think Arizona wouldn't have wanted to retain him?

Because they currently have around $12M in cap space. It would have been dead easy for the Coyotes to outbid the Leafs.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008

O-Dawg:

Jamie McLennan:

Gord Miller:

I'm hoping he can sort of fill the role. Not as Last season's version of Hyman more like season one or two Hyman. Having said that Bunting will not be the exact same player he will be stronger in some areas and weaker in others. What I am hoping for is a player that can provide some hustle, puck retrieval and some defensive awareness like Hyman did. I also expect Bunting to have a better touch around the net than Hyman (I know Hyman got 20+, hoping for the same from Bunting but with less complete misses at point blank scoring chances like Hyman)

OK, now I'll read the rest of the thread...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You can't miss something until its gone and Zach Hyman will be missed.

2020-21 - Zach Hyman ... 43 games 15 goals 18 assists 33 points [= 82 games 29 goals 34 assists 63 points] pace on full season.** With only 3 goals 2 assists via PP time ***

It easier said than done to pull a 26 year old, 6 year career minor leaguer with 14 NHL points to his name out from AHL, and toss him on a top 6 line and think results will be the same and get him for <$1 ml.

Reactions: RoadWarrior

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I truthfully can say I’ve only seen YouTube videos of him, where he seems to posses the right tools. That being said, I don’t know how consistent he can be and if he has the offensive upside while forechecking like Hyman did

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I have to note that the idea that leafs fans collectively think Bunting can definitely replace Hyman is in fact a straw man.

Reactions: Sypher04 and VanW27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad