[Gord Miller] Future of Russia/Belarus in IIHF events (Mod warning post 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Well it’s good to put it on the table: based on precedence, the suspensions of the Russian and Belarusian hockey associations are not self-justified.

As such, it’s an arbitrary suspension that will last an arbitrary amount of time. Hockey suffers to stroke the egos of arbitrary men.

It has nothing to do with ending the violence or cutting the war short or anything of the sort.

Last edited by a moderator:

hockeyFan029

Mar 29, 2022
Gord Miller's tweet is interesting because it sounds like even if the war stops, they will still be out of the IIHF competitions for a number of years afterwards.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Bigger stage than the KHL is the NHL and the NHL scouts are totally watching the KHL.

As for the international hockey, there are Russian players representing other countries like Romania, but if any on them had a KHL offer (or even a VHL one) I'm sure they wouldn't think more than couple of minutes on what to choose in that case.
Not so much anymore, at least by non-Russian scouts. I don't remember if it was Kekäläinen or some Finnish NHL scout who said a while ago that they've had to cut back on scouting in Russia and instead focus on other leagues in Europe.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Any Canadian win especially WJC feels cheap and hollow without facing our Russian nemesis. It does feel like something is missing. More to life then hockey.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Well it’s good to put it on the table: based on precedence, the suspensions of the Russian and Belarusian hockey associations are not self-justified.

As such, it’s an arbitrary suspension that will last an arbitrary amount of time. Hockey suffers to stroke the egos of arbitrary men.

It has nothing to do with ending the violence or cutting the war short or anything of the sort.
It has everything to do with ending the war. The IIHF doesn't care but all countries should refuse to participate until the war ends and they agree on when the suspension should end.

Any Canadian win especially WJC feels cheap and hollow without facing our Russian nemesis. It does feel like something is missing. More to life then hockey.
Garbage. If it feels cheap it is because it is not a best on best. And even if Russia was in it it wouldn't be because a lot of their NHL players wouldn't be participating.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Literally just two posts above yours: [Gord Miller] Future of Russia/Belarus in IIHF events (Mod warning post 7) There is very much precedence.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Can't argue with what Gord is saying here. 2032 is a long way away though and a whole ton can happen. If the war ends by then (which I would expect) AND there is a regime change for the better in both countries (which I doubt) then this seems legit.

Sucks though...I miss having Russia in the WJHC. Particularly this year with Michkov.

Hopefully they are readmitted in time for the next Best on Best.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
It has everything to do with ending the war. The IIHF doesn't care but all countries should refuse to participate until the war ends and they agree on when the suspension should end.
You’re fooling yourself. You ain’t fooling me.

The OP states they want to keep the suspension for an indefinite period. It’s not at all about ending the war.

Reactions: kp61c

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Not so much anymore, at least by non-Russian scouts. I don't remember if it was Kekäläinen or some Finnish NHL scout who said a while ago that they've had to cut back on scouting in Russia and instead focus on other leagues in Europe.
Non-Russian scouts have issues to travel there, yes (although even non-Russian ones have been spotted there occasionally this year), but there are still a lot of Russian-based scouts. Also judging by what I sometimes get asked on twitter I'd say video analysts are following it closely too. Anyway, I think you won't be arguing that if a promising player is impressive in the KHL season then in general it will be more valuable to the scouts than to be impressive in a short international tournament.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Not hard if you'd follow hockey, as then you'd know that the hockey Team Russia never got suspended due to any doping stuff.
Of course they weren't. The IIHF isn't going to do anything against the powerful countries.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Unlike UEFA, the IIHF never banned Yugoslavia, rather the Dutch authorities refused to allow the team in the country for the World Championships and the IIHF did nothing about it.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Would these teams have to start at the bottom division when they enter again? Could some new records if so

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Maybe you should. Whatever conflict you are talking about didn't threaten to become bigger. No telling what would have happened if Ukraine hadn't been such a tough opponent.
Irrelevant comment to the IIHF and the arbitrary decisions it made at gunpoint.

Last edited:
Reactions: simon IC

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Garbage. If it feels cheap it is because it is not a best on best. And even if Russia was in it it wouldn't be because a lot of their NHL players wouldn't be participating.

"Further to that, the overwhelming consensus among national federations here at the @IIHFHockey congress is that it will be years before Russia and Belarus are readmitted, regardless of when or how the invasion of Ukraine ends"

Russia's re-admittance has little to do with the war ending. Russia will return when the IIHF deems it in their interest (ahem, financial and political) to do so; war or not. That's when we'll perhaps finally get some best v best hockey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad