[Gord Miller] Future of Russia/Belarus in IIHF events (Mod warning post 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyFan029

Mar 29, 2022
Full comment from Gord Miller: "Further to that, the overwhelming consensus among national federations here at the IIHFHockey congress is that it will be years before Russia and Belarus are readmitted, regardless of when or how the invasion of Ukraine ends. "

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Highly doubt it would be that long seeing as he’s wording as as though if it ended tomorrow it would still be years.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
***Mod Warning***

Im allowing this conversation, for now. Any posts that are not strictly hockey related will be removed without further warning. Repeated attempts to dive off of hockey will result in further disciplinary actions.

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
I really hope when they're ready to "readmit" us, we'll tell them f*** you and keep developing KHL as independent from IIHF league, the same as NHL.
it seems to me you overestimate importance of Russia and KHL to hockey fans in rest of the World. Average european hockey fan knows 10 KHL teams max and no one is tuning in to the WC to watch Dmitrij Jaskin.

If you want to show it to the IIHF to make yourself feel better: ok I guess, but there is nothing more to it.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
it seems to me you overestimate importance of Russia and KHL to hockey fans in rest of the World. Average european hockey fan knows 10 KHL teams max and no one is tuning in to the WC to watch Dmitrij Jaskin.

If you want to show it to the IIHF to make yourself feel better: ok I guess, but there is nothing more to it.
The latest WHC shows that Russia is significantly important in the hockey world: Russia always brings NHL filled rosters which prompts other teams to ice more competitive teams as well thus making the tournament way more presentable and watchable. This year the 10th best US and Canada teams massacred Europeans and still nobody in North America cared.

Also, had Russia participated and played in Riga, their average attendance would certainly have been higher than 5.5k.

Finally, if you watch the latest WHC with Russian participation, you might notice that half of the sponsors were Russian as this tournament was extremely popular on Russian TV and companies were ready to pay IIHF big bucks.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

I don't actually care about the rest of the hockey world, the same way as Canadians and Americans don't or even more.

There are basically two levels of hockey in the world: domiestic leagues and NHL. IIHF regulates the first level but we won't suffer a lot without its regulation. I'll personally be happy if KHL gets rid of IIHF and FHR control and becomes independent.

Reactions: ReHabs

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
If I'm a Russian player I'd be pissed. I wonder if any will try to leave and defect to other countries 🤔..or if other countries would even take them in

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If I'm a Russian player I'd be pissed. I wonder if any will try to leave and defect to other countries 🤔..or if other countries would even take them in

Lol. Slovaks sucked at the WHC because some of their top players chose KHL money and were banned from national team, so you think Russian players will prefer WHC over KHL money?

Last edited by a moderator:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Lol. Slovaks sucked at the WHC because some of their top players chose KHL money and were banned from national team, so you think Russian players will prefer WHC over KHL money?
Slovaks made WC playoffs twice in the last decade, but keep telling yourself KHL is key to any nations success or failure.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Did they make playoffs at this WCH?
Did they make WCH playoffs while Slovan was in the KHL? Don't try to spin this into some non-sense. You literally said that Slovakia was bad this year because they lacked KHL players, if that was the case how come Slovakia was not winning medals when KHLers were present?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
No one wants to play against Hungary and France, Hockey is not Soccer. Our Liga stavok cup has a higher competition. The IIHF will soon be begging Russia to come back.

Maybe Russia will tell them to fly a kite. We'll see.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I notice some people here have a generally inflated sense of hockey's importance in the world of geopolitics. In their imaginations, this is big stuff. But in the real world, it's an afterthought. I'm reminded of someone in the Michkov thread saying that they're worried Putin is going to keep Michkov hostage in Russia or some such dumb nonsense. To actually think that the hockey world is a battleground with such suspense and intrigue is fun, but so misguided. This is all actually kind of sad and boring.

Trust me when I say that pretty much no one among the Russian and Belorussian political elite cares about hockey tournaments, especially junior ones. The Western political and sporting bodies think they're making a big statement here, but it just seems kind of small and petty. I don't know who exactly is being hurt here aside from the players and, frankly, the sport of hockey itself.

Are these tournaments even interesting anymore? Not so much.

I'm pretty sure Latvians are happy with the tournament. It's easier to get to the semifinal without Russia and Belarus after all...

Did they make WCH playoffs while Slovan was in the KHL? Don't try to spin this into some non-sense. You literally said that Slovakia was bad this year because they lacked KHL players, if that was the case how come Slovakia was not winning medals when KHLers were present?

Wasn't they though?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
No one wants to play against Hungary and France, Hockey is not Soccer. Our Liga stavok cup has a higher competition. The IIHF will soon be begging Russia to come back.
I think it will be fine for developing hockey nations. It's just one team missing and pretty much no europeans would like to watch that team.

Russia and Belarus should focus on collaboration with India, China etc.

I could see FIFA letting them back in early. You just have to pay the right officials.

Reactions: PWiz30
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad