OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #121 - USMNT, MLS, EPL, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
NYCFC's downfall is gonna be the overexpensive souvenirs inside ($40 shirts), a lack of offensive depth due to signing overaged DPs destroying their cap, the terrible stadium experience from the MLB required metal detectors and the terrible sightlines etc and the fact that the Yankees don't know how to run a soccer team.

New Yorker's wouldn't pay for a PATH fare to see Thierry Henry play. Trying to say the deciding point for NYCFC fans will be one subway ride to games is ignorant

Once the novelty is gone they better be winning a lot or it's gonna be comp city like it was for the SKC game

Where did I say it would be the deciding point?

Also, they may not have paid to cross the river and see Henry play, but there are a few million Spanish-speaking people in New York that might spend that money to watch David Villa.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Also, I would imagine most of New York City's population lives far enough from any PATH station that you'd be talking about a subway ride and a PATH ride, doubling the cost.

Because realistically 33rd St. to WTC does not account for most of Manhattan's population, let alone New York City's.

Is that fair to say?

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
What happens in 3 years when the Yankees kick them out and they to play at Metlife? All that NY's only professional team stuff goes down the drain

And the fact that their second game ever was comp city and the 1st base line still had large gaps of empty seats seems to suggest the Spanish people aren't gonna consistently pay to see Villa.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
The conversation started with transportation cost. You're going into a bunch of other things - which certainly (obviously) - make a franchise tick, but I haven't touched on anything other than transportation in saying that I don't think it's a problem.

Which is why if said *IF* they have the right front office people I think they will be fine.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Also, I would imagine most of New York City's population lives far enough from any PATH station that you'd be talking about a subway ride and a PATH ride, doubling the cost.

Because realistically 33rd St. to WTC does not account for most of Manhattan's population, let alone New York City's.

Is that fair to say?

Yankee Stadium only has 2 lines going to it so most people would have to transfer as well so it's no easier to get to. Either way they are both about the same difficulty to get to by train so when you're talking about another 2.something as a transfer price, it's pretty negligible in the grand scheme of all the money going to be spent at a sporting event. A family of 4 isn't gonna plop down $200 for tickets and food but then balk at the extra money of the second train

The conversation started with transportation cost. You're going into a bunch of other things - which certainly (obviously) - make a franchise tick, but I haven't touched on anything other than transportation in saying that I don't think it's a problem.

Which is why if said *IF* they have the right front office people I think they will be fine.

Well the front office has no control on transportation so I'm not sure what you're going on about then.

The fact is that unless they pull a stadium out of their ass in 3 years the Yankees and even MLS is gonna try to kick them out of a stadium and then they are SOL

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Manhattan has always been inconvenient to get to and once NJTransit dumped the offpeak roundtrip fare made the train obsolete as the main means for me.

NJT/Path/Subway is just like changing lines so its not really different modes of transport (since Im not leaving the station) and Im not going to consider walking part of that either. Of course I have to walk (and not like Im walking miles). I dont have a jetpack yet.

Ive done it on more than 1 occasion and it fits for where I have to commute from in terms of time and $.

Its also why I rarely go. NY is just not that special a city to go through all of that.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Yankee Stadium only has 2 lines going to it so most people would have to transfer as well so it's no easier to get to. Either way they are both about the same difficulty to get to by train so when you're talking about another 2.something as a transfer price, it's pretty negligible in the grand scheme of all the money going to be spent at a sporting event. A family of 4 isn't gonna plop down $200 for tickets and food but then balk at the extra money of the second train

Well the front office has no control on transportation so I'm not sure what you're going on about then.

The fact is that unless they pull a stadium out of their ass in 3 years the Yankees and even MLS is gonna try to kick them out of a stadium and then they are SOL

Seemed like the argument on the last page was that it was too inconvenient/expensive to get there. I don't think it is. The stuff the front office has no control over is in their favor, so I think if they fine-tune the stuff that they have control over they will be good.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I see NYCFC getting a stadium in Brooklyn when all is said and done.

I always thought a sports stadium should go to downtown Jersey City. Very accessible for New Yorkers through the PATH.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
The Cosmos have opened up their stadium search to "North Jersey". My guess is it would have to be somewhere near a rail or it's doomed from the start more than it already would be

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The Cosmos have opened up their stadium search to "North Jersey". My guess is it would have to be somewhere near a rail or it's doomed from the start more than it already would be

Wait, another soccer club in the area?

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Wait, another soccer club in the area?

They already exist as a fully-professional North American Soccer League (Tier 2) side. They play at Hofstra.

There are likely many more people who like soccer spread throughout the area than there are hockey fans. (See: Our Hispanic population and European immigrants who don't have a stateside club yet.) If we've made it this long with three teams in the fourth sport, then the NYC Metro could absolutely support three MLS clubs like 5-10 years from now.

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I am very excited for May 10th... when NYCFC comes to RBA. The first New York Derby. Not only will they have a gigantic supporter's section for the away fans, other NYC fans will just buy regular tickets. It won't be like Europe where they are all segregated. That one game could have the best atmosphere of any game in MLS history.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I am very excited for May 10th... when NYCFC comes to RBA. The first New York Derby. Not only will they have a gigantic supporter's section for the away fans, other NYC fans will just buy regular tickets. It won't be like Europe where they are all segregated. That one game could have the best atmosphere of any game in MLS history.

That may be the first MLS match I ever attend.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
They already exist as a fully-professional North American Soccer League (Tier 2) side. They play at Hofstra.

There are likely many more people who like soccer spread throughout the area than there are hockey fans. (See: Our Hispanic population and European immigrants who don't have a stateside club yet.) If we've made it this long with three teams in the fourth sport, then the NYC Metro could absolutely support three MLS clubs like 5-10 years from now.

Hispanics generally don't support MLS. They prefer their own domestic leagues. It's partly why Chivas failed and there's no evidence to suggest MLS can support 3 teams here. The Cosmos will not be in MLS for a very long time, if ever.

It's gonna be fun. A ****show. But fun

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I liked him. If he wants full minutes this isn't the place for him... but if he doesn't mind coming off the bench every once in a while that's fine. BWP is playing lower, running more, and getting involved more so he could use a rest every now and then.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Him and Robles are two of the greatest people I've ever met.

At his caphit, the Red Bulls can probably find someone more productive than Kenny but I'd still love for it to happen. Either way the team needs a second striker for friendlies, USOC or just as injury insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad