OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #120 - World Cup 2014 Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Weird, mine do. I guess fox pawned off the games they don't want. Either way barca was on all the fox sports channels (msg+ for us) today

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
These two teams might start punching each other... Nasty game.

Anyway...

There's rampant speculation that there's no chance Henry re-signs with the Red Bulls and that RB is looking to sell the club and arena. Whether that's true or not (JPP I expect you to come say it's not) I have a cool theory.

I would like the Devils ownership group to purchase the Red Bulls. They showed that they were interested in getting into soccer when they were looking at the lower level English side. They should be attracted by the great facility. They could attract top level European friendlies and international games at the arena. Also, it would be REALLY cool if they bought it and rebranded it FCNJ in red and black. They can have the nickname the Red Devils or something... If Red Bull wants to sell... the club should become NJ.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
I'm not going to deny anything. Since about July I've known with pretty good confidence about Henry. Whether Grant Wahl's reason behind his decision is true or not I don't know but I would be stunned at this point to see Henry back this year. As a side note I fully expect Arsenal to give him a serious offer come January from talking to their technical staff when they were in town this summer.

As for the team sale, I know nothing about it. My role with the team doesn't change regardless of who runs it and am not high enough up to know about those kinds of dealings. That said, it would not surprise me in the slightest if the team is quietly trying to be sold behind the curtains.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
And yes, in the event of a sale, I would totally support a NJ name. The red and black colors would work with the Metro diehards as well as attempt to identify with the Devils should they be a part of an ownership group.

But that's all speculative.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Poor old Scousehampton hahaha.

£50mill for Lovren, Lambert and Lallana.

Hehehehe

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Im a "NJ" in the name from really supporting the club.

I like going and its easy enough to get to, in and out (for the most part), and the stadium is of course fantastic.

But I shall wait patiently I suppose.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I don't think anyone inside has realistically assumed Henry was ever coming back for next season. That's been the assumption I've seen since January. Could he always have a change of heart? Sure. Who knows what it would take for that to happen, and honestly I think it's the slimmest of possibilities that should not ever be counted on. If he were to come back, I think it would be a welcomed, but unexpected surprise to management. They've probably operated much of this season under the assumption that it'll be a cleaner slate next year in terms of personnel.

As for a sale, it just doesn't make sense why it would be happening now. In a year or two? Who knows. A lot can change between now and then. But it doesn't make sense from a value stand point why to do it now. Word about previous losses is way too public (not that a prospective buyer wouldn't have a clear picture of the team's books prior to a sale regardless, but still), roster uncertainty for next year as it related to the star players (like Henry for example), etc. The negotiating power for Red Bull would have taken a bit of a hit and it is still a growing league. They're better off holding it, getting their deficit under control, establishing more of a future structure roster wise so it doesn't look like a bottom feeder team (as we know attendance will get worse if they are, which in turn cripples revenues), and allowing league interest to grow a bit over the next 18-24 months and then sell it off if they're so interested. The value of the arena will always depreciate, but that's going to happen regardless. It just doesn't seem like the right time to sell from a business perspective from their end.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Im a "NJ" in the name from really supporting the club.

I like going and its easy enough to get to, in and out (for the most part), and the stadium is of course fantastic.

But I shall wait patiently I suppose.

100% agreed. I cant fully back it personally. Make it "NJ" and I will become 10x more interested

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Red Bulls clinch a playoff spot this weekend if Houston beats Toronto Wednesday, Philly and Columbus both lose over the weekend and the Red Bulls beat Toronto on Saturday

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Actually the Philly/Columbus game doesn't matter. Since they play each other twice in the last 3 weeks it's impossible for both teams to catch the Red Bulls if they win Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad