OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #120 - World Cup 2014 Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
What's this I'm hearing about Pirlo going to the Galaxy?

Pirlo claims he's open to playing in the next World Cup and he wants to play in Euro 2016. I feel like if he comes to MLS, he won't be able to play internationally. The Italian federation likes to keep players close. Up until three years ago, they wouldn't take any players not playing in Serie A for the national team. They are letting up on that a little.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
What I read is that he would be coming over in 2.5 seasons so complete speculation at this point. MLS does this to a lot of people. IE: Ibrahimovic

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
What I read is that he would be coming over in 2.5 seasons so complete speculation at this point. MLS does this to a lot of people. IE: Ibrahimovic

He'd be 37 in 2 seasons so I'm not sure what the point would be then, although Lampard is 36 and is coming next year so who knows. I would think at some point the MLS is going to have to nab at least one guy from Europe who isn't at the end stages of there career to try to move the needle a little bit. Henry has been one of the few exceptions. I haven't seen Villa enough lately to know what his game is like right now.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Villa, Cahill, Defoe. MLS is getting better at players with still 2-3 prime years left. Still a bit away from getting a global star still in their 20s

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Big one tonight at LA for NYRB. I'd settle for a draw here. If we somehow win, we gotta be one of the MLS cup favorites

Honestly that would be way too presumptuous unless they run the table the rest of the season. If they can win out for their last three games and pull out three points today (or at least a draw), then maybe you can make a case because of the run they would be on entering the playoffs. This game alone would not make them a favorite, especially since we looking at this team finishing the regular season no higher than the 2 seed if things broke right.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Big one?

4-0 LA. Absolutely embarrassing season for RBNY. The exits from the USOC and the CCL have been sad to watch. I don't see them making the playoffs either to be honest.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
At least Juventus is playing well. 5-0-0 in Serie A and 1-0 in Champions League with ZERO goals conceded in any competition. HUGE match with Athletico Madrid this week

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Big one?

4-0 LA. Absolutely embarrassing season for RBNY. The exits from the USOC and the CCL have been sad to watch. I don't see them making the playoffs either to be honest.

Embarrassing? Really? They don't care about the USOC, so the loss is a non-factor. Did they want to get somewhere in the CCL? Yes. At the expense of their chances at the MLS Cup? No. They could have sent a better squad to Montreal, definitely. There really wasn't much more they could have sent to Fas, so that's just a matter of execution. The guys that didn't travel on that one were all banged up in recent weeks (aside from Robles) as it is. Have there been more stumbling points than you'd expect or hope for this year? Sure. But to say it's an embarrassment because of USOC and CCL? Holy crap, dude. Stop letting the emotions of a 4-0 loss cloud your perspective of the last 7 months.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
My perspective of the last seven months has been negative as well. They started real poorly with a loss and four draws. They are atrocious on the road. Show me an MLS Cup contender that is 2W-8L-7D on the road.

Only six teams in all of MLS have given up less goals. The offseason signings of Armando, Convey, and Eckersley haven't panned out. For some reason, the team was unable to sign a third DP. Maybe they were saving themselves for the MLS cup... but it hasn't translated. They have TEN wins in THIRTY matches. Toronto has a game in hand and are only one point back. If they win their game in hand, NYRB is no longer in a playoff spot.

I'm finding out Petke has no idea how to handle a roster. He has no idea how to play guys/rest guys if there are midweek matches or other competitions. He makes subs at really odd times. This has not been a good year.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
The 3 game home stand is where we have to salvage our year and clinch the playoffs. This game was just a measuring stick. Can we beat the best team in MLS in their own place? The answer overall is no, but that first half gave some hope. Nothing less than 7 points in these next 3 home games and we should be good.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Columbus should be also mostly because it's a team ahead in the standings. It's important to not let the teams behind you catch up, but gaining ground on those in front would help a lot to solidify that spot.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
From what I've read they plan to start a second LA time. Don't get why it's called a hiatus when the club is getting a new stadium, name, kits, players and history.

Just call it a new team haha

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I'd bank on it being Sacramento instead of LA 2. Can't see them wanting to add to the number of California teams (LA, San Jose, and one of Sacramento/LA 2 instead of making it 4). They've been pushing for an MLS team for a few years and they gained some attention with the way they supported their USL Pro team (which I believe won the title this year). MLS wants to put teams in more cities than they have spots with their interest in 24 total teams. They'll check another one off the list this way.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Holy crap are they really going to bring in Tan to own Chivas? The guy is a travelling circus...

Nice showing by Roma today. City really needed a victory there.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
It aired on FSN.

In general the popularity if the English teams far outweigh the non-english team, including Barcelona and Real Madrid. So they get the top billing.

I only got Manchester City/Roma. I'm pretty sure that was the only Champions League game I got live. The replay of PSG/Barcelona is on now. I don't understand why ESPN didn't pick up a game like that today but there doing Aletico Madrid/Juventus tomorrow.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
FS1 had Roma/City, FS2 had Chelsea/Sporting and MSG plus had Barca/PSG. ESPN doesn't have the rights to air games on live tv in English so not sure where you saw the game tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad