OT: Goon (2011), starring Sean William Scott, Jay Barushel & Liev Schreiber

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Personally i gave this movie 30 mins of my time and i couldn't stand it, don't much care for Slapshot either....hockey movies i enjoy off the top of my head, The Rocket and the 72 series the CBC put on; That being said good find for those interested!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Personally i gave this movie 30 mins of my time and i couldn't stand it, don't much care for Slapshot either....hockey movies i enjoy off the top of my head, The Rocket and the 72 series the CBC put on; That being said good find for those interested!

Eh, to each their own.

If we're making a list of great Hockey movies though, Miracle needs to be near (or at) the top. Over-the-top Americana to be sure (typical Disney), but the hockey scenes are without peer (for a movie) and Kurt Russel is exellent.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Eh, to each their own.

If we're making a list of great Hockey movies though, Miracle needs to be near (or at) the top. Over-the-top Americana to be sure (typical Disney), but the hockey scenes are without peer (for a movie) and Kurt Russel is exellent.

Ah yes forgot about Miracle, it was a good one...only complaint there was R. Crowe who i can't stand.

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011
Tried it but didn't last past 30 min either. He will always be Stiffmiester to me and anything else feels odd.

Silent Knight

45 RULES
Nov 6, 2010
Cypress Creek
I thought Goon was pretty bad, not to mention the over the top sexual toilet humour... the kind of stuff seen in other bad movies like 30 Minutes or Less in order to buy a cheap laugh instead of an honest laugh. Jay Baruchel, I can take him or leave him... he was better on Popular Mechanics for Kids. :laugh:

Milan the God*

It wasn't a bad movie. I wouldn't watch him more than once or twice, but I wouldn't turn it off after 30 minutes like some of you have.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I enjoyed it; thought it was one of the better hockey movies around. I got it for free from the Ottawa Public Library, which is another option if you don't want to pay and don't want to watch it on YouTube (and I assume any free movies on YouTube will eventually get taken down).

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Goon is a solid movie. Not a great one, but good. It's usually difficult to build a good movie around a static central character.

Liev Schreiber was great. You can tell he was having a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Wanted to like, like most of the people in it. It just wasnt very good.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I thought Goon was pretty bad, not to mention the over the top sexual toilet humour... the kind of stuff seen in other bad movies like 30 Minutes or Less in order to buy a cheap laugh instead of an honest laugh. Jay Baruchel, I can take him or leave him... he was better on Popular Mechanics for Kids. :laugh:

You're thinking Alicia Cuthbert?

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I felt like Baruchel couldn't decide whether to make this movie a comedy/parody/drama/dramedy- and ultimately didn't decide.

Wouldn't watch it again.

Admittedly, I had my doubts going in- as I saw Sean William Scott at a bar one time, and he was tiny, and drinking a chardonnay. So I had a tough time accepting him as a tough guy.

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
Hate this flick just because of the Doug Glatt's with the number 69 on EASHL. :shakehead

John Holmes*

I thought Goon was pretty bad, not to mention the over the top sexual toilet humour...

You mean just like how life in a semi pro league is? Dressing rooms and team buses aren't for the delicate crowd.

I saw the movie. I thought it was pretty good.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I liked it.
I also like Slapshot, Youngblood, Mystery Alaska, Mighty Ducks etc.

Have not seen Miracle.

Same. Youngblood is just hilarious, especially the fight at the end. Miracle is good, but noticing the editing and camera work, they really do make subtle jabs at making the Soviet's the bad guys with "dirty play" in the film. It's to be expected I guess.

Goon surprised me, I went in not expecting much at all, but ended up liking it a lot.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Airborne93poster.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad