Google update could 'destroy' ad-blocking

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I'm at <10% with multiple tabs open on an old ass i5. Never going back to Chrome or Chromium based browsers. f*** Google.

Reactions: Roman Fell

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
I'm at <10% with multiple tabs open on an old ass i5. Never going back to Chrome or Chromium based browsers. **** Google.

no idea how it fluctuates so badly between systems.

when I was using the macbook it pegged so hard that I was literally unable to perform any other execution.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Just want to update this thread after a few months and say that I'm seeing more CPU-heavy usage from Firefox, now in my Windows 2016 environment.

View attachment 223001

It was fluctuating between 25% and spiking to 60-ish% when selecting items. Only one tab, which Google Drive was open.

Not sure how anyone is using it whatsoever. It's OK on my Ubuntu machines. Everywhere else is terrible though.

This is *not* a post about HFBoards. This is an isolated *Firefox* issue.

what add-ons do you have? I'm on windows 2016 as well, using 3-5% CPU, with 1,000 MB of memory with 61 tabs (only 11 are actually loaded) with like 15 add-ons

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
what add-ons do you have? I'm on windows 2016 as well, using 3-5% CPU, with 1,000 MB of memory with 61 tabs (only 11 are actually loaded) with like 15 add-ons

I've got nothing additional running. Now, these are VMs - provisioned with dual cores (+ hyperthreading) and only 8gb ram - but that should be more than enough headroom to open a single addon-less tab in Firefox. Maybe proxmox is doing something funny, but I did experience similar (even worse) issues on macos using a native macbook pro.

upload_2019-5-1_11-50-20.png

Dunno, it just doesn't work right for me. It works fine on my main desktop (ubuntu bionic) but since it doesn't work on all my devices, I just use chrome to manage all my bookmarks/lastpass updates etc. Someday maybe I'll try to fiddle around and see if I can't tweak it. I like it, nothing against them or their efforts (always prefer open-source), just doesn't work right for me.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Websites are so greedy for trying to protect their only source of revenue hahahahahahahahah
They should have thought, "Maybe we shouldn't serve ads that give our users' devices cancer." But everyone knows industry self-regulation isn't really a thing, so they got stupid and greedy and pissed off visitors so now we have add-ons that block all ads. Too bad so sad.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
what are your thoughts on Chrome making ads mandatory @OmniCube

Use Firefox. Simple solution here with FF plugins. uBlock Origin, NoScript, and CookieAutoDelete is like your bare minimum for using the internet and not having a truly heinous experience that will make you want to kill yourself. Not sure how anyone can put up with trying to use sites like Youtube or even just look at the news when it's nothing but a billion animated advertisements desperately trying to hijack the mouse cursor or blaring full volume garbage at them. Three simple addons and it all goes away.

P.S. I used to work in advertising. :skeptic:

Sep 19, 2008
Use Firefox. Simple solution here with FF plugins. uBlock Origin, NoScript, and CookieAutoDelete is like your bare minimum for using the internet and not having a truly heinous experience that will make you want to kill yourself. Not sure how anyone can put up with trying to use sites like Youtube or even just look at the news when it's nothing but a billion animated advertisements desperately trying to hijack the mouse cursor or blaring full volume garbage at them. Three simple addons and it all goes away.

P.S. I used to work in advertising. :skeptic:

tHANK YOU for this post. UO is pretty mandatory but I also was recommended privacy badger which I assume is similar to noscript or cookieautodelete. The internet is so messed up now that you need certain addons just to avoid being a pawn to advertising.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
People on Reddit were freaking out about the FF thing.

"I didn't move to FF for this Google Big Brother shit"

Lol, it's a f***ing expired certificate.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
People on Reddit were freaking out about the FF thing.

"I didn't move to FF for this Google Big Brother ****"

Lol, it's a ****ing expired certificate.

lol, it's just an "expired cert", but they shot themselves in the foot on this regarding wholesale signing. this guy threw it up nicely:

upload_2019-5-4_22-37-13.png

Jiminy Cricket

#TeamMeat
Mar 9, 2014
I`m not Werry`d about wat happen`s on the On-Line because I`m not a Nerd. Imagine Brow`sin`g aroun`d Clickin`g aroun`d web-Site`s wen u Could be Playin`g Sport`s `n` Pickin`g up Chick`s like Me. :yo: I`m literally Crackin`g open sum Beer`s with the Boy`s rite now `n` We`re cacklin`g at all the Nerd`s on the On-Line. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
we're not allowed to talk about this, friends

adblock is working everywhere for me, sans a few popup disable modals from offsite providers

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
weird i never get it

i told you my theory why it happens once every few hours for you as well as everyone else :laugh: Basically pay 12 dollars a month and it'll go away :rolleyes:

is it $12/mo now? It used to be $12/yr. That's a lot of money to listen to idiots make trade proposals or to watch you spam up the lounge. 10 years ago I was on board. Now? Hard pass. Sorry HF.

Mike Mills

Apr 27, 2019
You know what I’m a huge fan of? The advertisements on mobile that I sometimes accidentally click on trying to use the keyboard that then bring up a new tab and start playing a video. Boy I’m such a huge fan of having my website experience interrupted by ads, don’t know why anyone would ever try to block them when the staff here does such a good job with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad