webRequest
API and in its place deploy a new
Code:
declarativeNetRequest
API.

Basically, adblock/uorigin et al would use the
Code:
webRequest
API to intercept incoming traffic and block it before it ever had a chance to load in your browser. This is why some pages (especially ad heavy ones) will load slower when you have an adblocker enabled. While they're not removing the
Code:
webRequest
API, they are demoting it to "read-only", so there's not chance these adblockers can intervene and make the necessary changes anymore.

IIRC, the
Code:
declarativeNetRequest
API will allow for some modification (up to 30k requests I believe) which means that you'd get some functionality out of blockers, should they choose to update them to the correct calls. But, you'll hit 30k requests pretty quick and it won't do a lot for your overall experience. It's not a lot of room in aggregate.

This is all to speed up the browser and browsing experience, which is a noble effort. Frankly, as Google is the largest ad driver on the Internet (I think), I'm surprised they haven't tried to do something similar.

If Manifest V3 is adopted (none of this is set in stone yet), then it's probably time to look at alternatives. I'm not sure if this will affect Chromium, for instance (though I'm not up to speed on how that's built - I thought Chrome was built on the back of Chromium).

I've been testing out some firefox deployments since I heard of this a few weeks back, and frankly it's good, but it bends over my CPU. It can barely run on my macbook pro. It will routinely eat up 25-30% of my cpu headroom on my Ryzen 1700x, which is no small feat. I don't know what the f*** they're doing in the background. Fiddler goes absolutely bananas when I'm using it.

Opera maybe? I'll have to do some research on Chromium.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Their idea is to depreciate the
Code:
webRequest
Code:
declarativeNetRequest
API.

Code:
webRequest
API to intercept incoming traffic and block it before it ever had a chance to load in your browser. This is why some pages (especially ad heavy ones) will load slower when you have an adblocker enabled. While they're not removing the
Code:
webRequest
API, they are demoting it to "read-only", so there's not chance these adblockers can intervene and make the necessary changes anymore.

IIRC, the
Code:
declarativeNetRequest
API will allow for some modification (up to 30k requests I believe) which means that you'd get some functionality out of blockers, should they choose to update them to the correct calls. But, you'll hit 30k requests pretty quick and it won't do a lot for your overall experience. It's not a lot of room in aggregate.

This is all to speed up the browser and browsing experience, which is a noble effort. Frankly, as Google is the largest ad driver on the Internet (I think), I'm surprised they haven't tried to do something similar.

If Manifest V3 is adopted (none of this is set in stone yet), then it's probably time to look at alternatives. I'm not sure if this will affect Chromium, for instance (though I'm not up to speed on how that's built - I thought Chrome was built on the back of Chromium).

I've been testing out some firefox deployments since I heard of this a few weeks back, and frankly it's good, but it bends over my CPU. It can barely run on my macbook pro. It will routinely eat up 25-30% of my cpu headroom on my Ryzen 1700x, which is no small feat. I don't know what the **** they're doing in the background. Fiddler goes absolutely bananas when I'm using it.

nerd

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
man, the lack of inline code formatting is pretty f***ing terrible

@Buffaloed - pretty please?

See: Slack
upload_2019-1-24_10-19-43.png

Reactions: OmniCube
Sep 19, 2008
Their idea is to depreciate the
Code:
webRequest
Code:
declarativeNetRequest
API.

Code:
webRequest
Code:
webRequest

IIRC, the
Code:
declarativeNetRequest

I've been testing out some firefox deployments since I heard of this a few weeks back, and frankly it's good, but it bends over my CPU. It can barely run on my macbook pro. It will routinely eat up 25-30% of my cpu headroom on my Ryzen 1700x, which is no small feat. I don't know what the **** they're doing in the background. Fiddler goes absolutely bananas when I'm using it.

Brave is pretty good as well as DuckDuckGo.

Sep 19, 2008
did you read any of my post above?

or did the formatting give you cancer?

I read it. Quantum is apparently faster, are you using that?

Use Brave definitely. It already has ad-blocking built in. (Ugh damn it. I installed Brave and it's based on Chromium!)

Sep 19, 2008
Okay, Brave is decent but shows you wallpaper pictures every time you start the browser or open a new tab which is dumb IMO.

Opera is run by the Chinese

So IF this goes down there really isn't any backup for me to go BUT Firefox...Not that I have any problems with Firefox Quantum. But there are slim pickings out there.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Okay, Brave is decent but shows you wallpaper pictures every time you start the browser or open a new tab which is dumb IMO.

Opera is run by the Chinese

So IF this goes down there really isn't any backup for me to go BUT Firefox...Not that I have any problems with Firefox Quantum. But there are slim pickings out there.

So to clarify, because I'm not totally up to date and too lazy to dive in - will Chromium also be affected? @OmniCube?

My gut says this portion does not make it to the final manifest. I think the blow-back will be too strong. Initial feedback is pretty poor for google.

Sep 19, 2008
So to clarify, because I'm not totally up to date and too lazy to dive in - will Chromium also be affected? @OmniCube?

My gut says this portion does not make it to the final manifest. I think the blow-back will be too strong. Initial feedback is pretty poor for google.

Apparently Chromium-based browsers will be allowed to pick and choose what they want to put in. So if Chromium decides to pull this shit then other browsers can say they want no part. At least for Brave.

Jiminy Cricket

#TeamMeat
Mar 9, 2014
Imagine Liderally Karing Wat Happen`s On the On-line Wen U Could Literally Jus`t B Pumpin`g Iron `n` Iruman Literally in the Jim, Or U Could Literally Go Out`Side `n` Collectin`g the SunLite `n` Literally Gettin`g Tanner `n` Tanner `n` Vitamin D Ray`s, Rather Than Werrying About What Happen`s On-Line.

member 157595

I don't know, this is not my area of expertise. Right now my areas of expertise are ninja diaper changes and looking like a meth addict due to lack of sleep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad