Google trends by state/province: favorite sports team

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
They made the SCF in their first year and Nevada doesn’t have any other sports teams.

It would have to be a lot of activity to overtake five years of people who are following the usual teams of local interest - Dodgers, Lakers, etc.

Would have to look at their methodology to see how exactly they calculated it.

Reactions: awfulwaffle

member 157595

Who lives in Jets territory just on the top of the map?

Nunavut is very sparsely populated; there's probably like 20K 35K (thx DowntownBooster) people in that entire territory (I don't think it's a province but I'm not Canadian.) The towns aren't connected to each other by road and some are above the tree line.

Jordin Tootoo is from Rankin Inlet, which is in Southern Nunavut. He's freaking adored there and for good reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Nunavut is very sparsely populated; there's probably like 20K people in that entire territory (I don't think it's a province but I'm not Canadian.) The towns aren't connected to each other by road and some are above the tree line.

Jordin Tootoo is from Rankin Inlet, which is in Southern Nunavut. He's freaking adored there and for good reason.

Do they watch ice-hockey?

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

Interesting. Need to stare at this more.

Hmmmm....

Skeptical. Don't really think Google trends does what this graphic is stating.

Probably what this measures is which team in that region had the highest peak of interest (ie: a big spike in searches on Google for the team brand name). This would explain for example why VGK would appear because of their cup run, but if the population was polled it probably would not rise to the top as the most popular sports team.

Similarly in Ontario. No way Blue Jays are the most popular team over the Leafs. But I could see the Blue Jays having the highest search spike in the region over the past 5 years from the Bat-Flip game.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
It would have to be a lot of activity to overtake five years of people who are following the usual teams of local interest - Dodgers, Lakers, etc.

Would have to look at their methodology to see how exactly they calculated it.

You have good instincts. Read my post above.

It happens all the time because it's such an easy tool to use, but very few take the time to actually understand what the tool is telling you, and then make false claims as a result.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Hmmmm....

Skeptical. Don't really think Google trends does what this graphic is stating.

Probably what this measures is which team in that region had the highest peak of interest (ie: a big spike in searches on Google for the team brand name). This would explain for example why VGK would appear because of their cup run, but if the population was polled it probably would not rise to the top as the most popular sports team.

Similarly in Ontario. No way Blue Jays are the most popular team over the Leafs. But I could see the Blue Jays having the highest search spike in the region over the past 5 years from the Bat-Flip game.

Well it's judging popularity by number of searches for said team in total, so spikes of interest influence the totals. So yes when you compare the number of searches for blue jays vs maple leafs in general they are somewhat even, but the blue jays playoff run had a huge increase in search traffic. The traffic for the blue jays in oct 2015 far surpasses anything for the leafs over that period.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Well it's judging popularity by number of searches for said team in total, so spikes of interest influence the totals. So yes when you compare the number of searches for blue jays vs maple leafs in general they are somewhat even, but the blue jays playoff run had a huge increase in search traffic. The traffic for the blue jays in oct 2015 far surpasses anything for the leafs over that period.

Agreed.

I'm just saying that this does not measure "most popular", it measures, "most searched", or maybe "most amount of interest" over the past 5 years. Interestingly if you look at the metrics over the past year the leafs interest is now dominating jay interest, both during spikes (playoffs) and normal time.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006

banner1.jpg

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Take aways:
Blue Jays most popular team by regions covered (6 provinces)
Jets most popular team by territory covered (2.7million square kms vs 2.0 million for Oilers)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Interestingly, it didn't prevent the Vegas Golden Knights from taking Nevada despite only existing for the past year and a bit.

1.5 years of playing. Franchise awarded 6/23/16. Ticket drive in 2015. So, that's over a four year span.

Raiders didn't enter the picture until after Vegas got NHL team. (And I doubt they'll really top VGK in **local** interest.)

They made the SCF in their first year and Nevada doesn’t have any other sports teams.

Las Vegas: Lights FC (soccer). Aviators (MiLB, formerly 51s). Aces (WNBA). NBA summer league.
Reno: Aces (MiLB). Bighorns (NBA-D). 1868 FC (soccer).

UNLV Rebels (football, hockey, basketball, etc.), UNR Wolfpack (football, basketball, etc.).

And that doesn't include HS sports (including Faith Luthern HS ice hockey team, which may be the first HS ice hockey team in state).

Guess you won't count the PBR or National Finals Rodeo, or any of the races at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, nor the Mint 300, and other off road races, etc. (LVMS home of "Police Pursuit" -- only place in US where you can chase a getaway car or be chased by a police car for fun.)

Now, as of today, there are no other MAJOR LEAGUE sports teams than VGK, but never let it be said there are no other SPORTS teams in the state, or even around Las Vegas.

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

The area north of Manitoba is Nunavut. It used to be part of the Northwest Territories before separating from it on April 1, 1999. The population of Nunavut in 2016 was 35,944. The capital is Iqaluit which has a population of 7,740. A very sparsely populated region of Canada for sure.

:jets

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Agreed.

I'm just saying that this does not measure "most popular", it measures, "most searched", or maybe "most amount of interest" over the past 5 years. Interestingly if you look at the metrics over the past year the leafs interest is now dominating jay interest, both during spikes (playoffs) and normal time.
Yeah, I'm sure if you did this for 2018, the Bears and Colts would lead IL & IN respectively. But, they were both trash the last 5 years, while the Cubs won the World Series and made the NLCS 3 times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad