Google trends by state/province: favorite sports team

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I'm fairly certain that the Roughriders are more popular in Saskatchewan than that Lakers are inside of Staples Centre. I understand how this was created... but all anybody need to do is spend roughly 30 minutes inside Regina or maybe 2 hours in Saskatoon and you will figure it out pretty quick.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I'm fairly certain that the Roughriders are more popular in Saskatchewan than that Lakers are inside of Staples Centre. I understand how this was created... but all anybody need to do is spend roughly 30 minutes inside Regina or maybe 2 hours in Saskatoon and you will figure it out pretty quick.

This is a perfect example of what I said on page 1 was wrong with this analysis and the conclusions drawn from it.

ed5d887055cab4e6f5d96a6b54b9d3b7-full.png

This is likely the data they used to determine Saskatchewan.

Pretty obvious which team is more popular over the long-term...but one big spike for the oilers and that's what they based it off.

I don't want to trash it too much because it's great to see people leveraging the tools and creating cool graphics like this, just wish they were a little more specific in describing what the data actually represented.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I guess they probably didn't include the CFL or else the Riders would easily be number 1 in Saskatchewan. If college football was included I'm sure Alabama and Oklahoma would be their respective college teams. The one I'm most shocked for was that California's top team was the Dodgers, and not the Lakers, followed by Indiana not being the Colts. However if large spikes of searches influence the result drastically than it would make more sense.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Speaking as a one-time Yukoner I'm really surprised that the Oilers would top the list in Yukon. If anything it would be more Canucks territory, but really there are no clear local favourite teams.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
From the source: "I included CFL and MLS data. The Blue Jays beat the Riders because the 2015 and 2016 playoff buzz generated so many searches"

Sounds like the study satisfied what it was intended to do, but whether it is actually useful information is dubious because people may not actually Google their favourite professional sports team, they Google the hot story of the day where they don't already have established sources of information.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
pathetic franchise
when the u is good, they're more popular locally by a country mile
College Sport outdraws and is watched by many in The USA.. but it’s Reginal .
Even in a small city like Grand Forks ND the support of the Sioux (Falcons) is insaine.
I’m pretty sure that it’s a state law if there are more than 2 people walking together at least 2 must be wearing Sioux Gear.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
From the source: "I included CFL and MLS data. The Blue Jays beat the Riders because the 2015 and 2016 playoff buzz generated so many searches"

Sounds like the study satisfied what it was intended to do, but whether it is actually useful information is dubious because people may not actually Google their favorite professional sports team, they Google the hot story of the day where they don't already have established sources of information.

IMO any inference of "popularity" out of this data is very misleading.

For example, by the same measure...People in Saskatchewan also searched about Trump more than they did the RoughRiders...doesn't mean that Trump is more popular in Saskatchewan than the local CFL team.

It's akin to saying that Gangam Style is the most popular song ever in the past decade because for a brief period it was really, really popular and got a tone of YouTube views.

Spikes in interest do not equate to the ongoing/long-term popularity of a sports team, which is what most people reading this probably thought was the conclusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh and Inkling

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Looks pretty true to me, considering the 5 year span in use here.

I'd add that using college teams would likely change some states, including Ohio, Nebraska, and much of the south.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Who needs to search for major league sports news?
There's a plethora of push notification sports apps, Twitter etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad