"Good Team" Scorers...

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Who are some players who benefited significantly from playing on good teams and/or with quality linemates?

Obviously playing with talented linemates or on very good teams can boost any player's totals, but which players were essentially carried to greater heights than their talent would have allowed them to achieve under different circumstances? How did they do when they had to play with weaker supporting casts?

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Ray Sheppard - not like he was a a bad player but he was carried on back of the all time great during his best season

Adam Oates has a pretty good list of linemates who had a career year next to him, Chris Simon to name one of them

I am a big fan of Martin Brodeur and he is for sure an all time great but his numbers are definitely affected by playing for Devils with their system.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Ray Sheppard - not like he was a a bad player but he was carried on back of the all time great during his best season

Adam Oates has a pretty good list of linemates who had a career year next to him, Chris Simon to name one of them

I am a big fan of Martin Brodeur and he is for sure an all time great but his numbers are definitely affected by playing for Devils with their system.

They built that system around Brodeur with his exceptional puck handing. Sure, other goalies might have made more saves on the shots he faced, but no goalie in history controlled a game in the manner he could and his ability to reduce shots on goal and high danger chances.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Martin Straka seems like one of those guys. Not a driver but a good complimentary scorer in the right environment and with better linemates. Pittsburgh and the Rangers had both the systems and players, everywhere else he seemed to struggle a bit.
Derek King had his injury later which threw his game off but even before that he struggled without Turgeon and Thomas in NY. His best years were part of that trio.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Despite the OP's best intentions, I'm wary of these kinds of threads because any highly skilled player who had a career or outlier year will inevitably get mentioned, despite their being highly skilled players. (It's only a matter of posts before someone says Bernie Nicholls.)

While I respect Jonathan Cheechoo as a sniper, and he was probably peaking around 2006 anyway, it's pretty clear that being on a line and the PP with peak-Joe Thornton (just after he arrived) really elevated Cheechoo's totals for a year or two, probably well beyond what they could have been in almost any other situation:

Before Thornton
7 goals in 24 games
After Thornton
49 goals in 58 games

Reactions: rnhaas

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Is he a "good team" scorer or just a guy that had a fluke 100 games with a HOF-level player...? I think there's a subtle difference...like Mike Knuble with a bunch of good players in a bunch of good situations but without amazing tools did well for himself...

David Clarkson had similarly poor tools...and didn't survive when his teams weren't good around him...

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Can I hear your rationale on this one?

Yes, 7 seasons with Pittsburgh, but 16 seasons with Hartford and Carolina.

I was expecting pushback on him. I'm just referring to Francis' statistical peak in Pittsburgh. The OP talked a lot about players whose stats were inflated by their teams. Unlike other posters who focused on relative scrubs, I tried to pick otherwise good or great players who were still helped a lot by their teams.

Another guy - Johnny Bucyk. Was a leading scorer on bad Boston teams for years before Orr came around and suddenly everyone on the team was reaching new heights.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was expecting pushback on him. I'm just referring to Francis' statistical peak in Pittsburgh. The OP talked a lot about players whose stats were inflated by their teams. Unlike other posters who focused on relative scrubs, I tried to pick otherwise good or great players who were still helped a lot by their teams.

I did some quick math, and his stats are as follows:

With Hartford:

714 GP 264 G 557 A 821 PTS for a P% of 1.149

With Pittsburgh:

533 GP 164 G 449 A 613 PTS for a P% of 1.150

Now, league scoring as a whole may have gone down some over his tenure with Pittsburgh, but that's still pretty close.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I did some quick math, and his stats are as follows:

With Hartford:

714 GP 264 G 557 A 821 PTS for a P% of 1.149

With Pittsburgh:

533 GP 164 G 449 A 613 PTS for a P% of 1.150

Whoops typo.

Francis' top 10 finishes:

1994-95 NHL 59 (5th)
1995-96 NHL 119 (4th)
1996-97 NHL 90 (8th)
1997-98 NHL 87 (5th)
2001-02 NHL 77 (9th)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

1994-95 was Jagr's 1st Art Ross, 1997-98 was Francis' last season as Jagr's linemate.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Larionov, in the Soviet Union or in the NHL, or both? I'd say both (Detroit especially in the NHL)

For me, both. I'm not as immediately fluent in Soviet stats as you are, but it certainly looks to me like Krutov and Makarov didn't need Larionov as much as he needed them. At least if we are strictly talking offensive numbers, which seems to be what this thread is about.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
For me, both. I'm not as immediately fluent in Soviet stats as you are, but it certainly looks to me like Krutov and Makarov didn't need Larionov as much as he needed them. At least if we are strictly talking offensive numbers, which seems to be what this thread is about.

Despite his linemates superior statistics, I think it's fair to say Larionov had a huge input on the line's overall play. He was as gifted as Krutov and Makarov for sure. Out of the five guys the CCCP used to ice, I'd claim only Fetisov was a better player.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Despite his linemates superior statistics, I think it's fair to say Larionov had a huge input on the line's overall play. He was as gifted as Krutov and Makarov for sure. Out of the five guys the CCCP used to ice, I'd claim only Fetisov was a better player.

He certainly wasn't as gifted offensively as Krutov and especially Makarov! Defensively, maybe, maybe not; namely, it was also Makarov and Krutov who were the main penalty killers for Team USSR and, I would reckon, CSKA. I know that contemporary hockey pundits disagree with you too, as both Makarov and Krutov were much more decorated players, both internationally and domestically - so it was not just about stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad