Good Places to watch Habs game in Downtown Ottawa

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
While we are talking bout Ottawa, can anyone recommend any hotels or restaurants in DT Ottawa? Going to habs vs sens game in March.

I don't know about hotels much around here since I lived here all my life but restaurants... so many options. Just depends what you're looking for in a restaurant. There's a lot of options in Ottawa these days, especially compared to 5 or 10 years ago.

So what type of food? and which area of downtown? Byward Market or around Elgin/Bank? As you may also know, Downtown and where the Sens play is a good half hour drive.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
There's not that many good restaurants in Gatineau, really. Most of them are chains. Don't get me wrong, some are good but you really have to look for them.

Hmm no, not true. There are many really good non chain restaurants in Gatineau. Way too many to list here.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Hmm no, not true. There are many really good non chain restaurants in Gatineau. Way too many to list here.

I grew up in Gatineau, I don't want to get in an argument, but there are not too many to list here. If you count Chelsea as Gatineau, I can't think of more than 10-15 good restaurants at most. Unless we have a drastically different definition of what is good.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I grew up in Gatineau, I don't want to get in an argument, but there are not too many to list here. If you count Chelsea as Gatineau, I can't think of more than 10-15 good restaurants at most. Unless we have a drastically different definition of what is good.

Things changed quite a bit since I moved in the area, and I moved less than 10 years ago.

What's seriously missing in Gatineau is great "specialty" restaurants though.

...Except maybe Edgar, which is an absolutely awesome Breakfast restaurant.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Things changed quite a bit since I moved in the area, and I moved less than 10 years ago.

What's seriously missing in Gatineau is great "specialty" restaurants though.

...Except maybe Edgar, which is an absolutely awesome Breakfast restaurant.

There's some decent places in Chelsea (l'Oree du bois) or Wakefield (Chez Eric). Can't think of anything really awesome in Gatineau (Gatineau sector) except I do enjoy Yame for thai food. Hull has a couple of solid places... but there's not overwhelming choices.

For xmas, my family decided to go to la Casa Grecque... I mean are you kidding me? urgh. Can't even tell the difference between that and Vieux Duluth... just terrible. Anyway, kinda got away from the original thread topic. Sorry guys.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There's some decent places in Chelsea (l'Oree du bois) or Wakefield (Chez Eric). Can't think of anything really awesome in Gatineau (Gatineau sector) except I do enjoy Yame for thai food. Hull has a couple of solid places... but there's not overwhelming choices.

For xmas, my family decided to go to la Casa Grecque... I mean are you kidding me? urgh. Can't even tell the difference between that and Vieux Duluth... just terrible. Anyway, kinda got away from the original thread topic. Sorry guys.

I can absolutely tell the difference : Le Vieux Duluth is significantly better :)

But yeah, it comes back to what I said earlier : Gatineau kinda sucks for specialities restaurant. You don't have to go full high-end to find a good place though. I mean... Ambrosia was ... absolutely awesome for what it was, that is, a Pasta Restaurant. Now, if you're expecting the pasta restaurant to be anything like l'Oree du Bois, I think we have an issue.

Now, if we could solve the issue about the curious lack of Indian Restaurants...

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
While we are talking bout Ottawa, can anyone recommend any hotels or restaurants in DT Ottawa? Going to habs vs sens game in March.

You aware Dt and Kanata ate far apart? have a car?if so,got tons of suggestions. What food you like? budget for hotel and food? all pivotal.

Oct 22, 2012

You aware Dt and Kanata ate far apart? have a car?if so,got tons of suggestions. What food you like? budget for hotel and food? all pivotal.

Yeah, we are flying in Saturday and flying out Tuesday so thought it would be best to stay downtown and get the shuttle to the game and back.

Love all types of food, definitely all about the quality since moving to PEI food industry here has spoled me. Not too much into chain resturants but don't mind it on the fly. Budget is in the mid to high range I suppose, not slumming it, but not looking to break the bank either.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
I don't get how everyone says chez lucien. .. there's one crooked 30inch TV at the bar. I can't think of a more terrible place to watch a game

Edit : amazing burgers though

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
I'm the head bartender at the barley mow in westboro. If the habs are playing and the sens aren't, I'll put the habs in most tvs. And I'll even put the sound on for us after the first period once most diners have left ;)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
:laugh:....that bar doesn't exist either, they shut down not too long ago.

Haven't been to Cage in a while, since I left Montreal to be precise. Gonna have to go check it out...

Damn... sorry to hear about Real Sports. Had a great time there last year with the family -- we watched the Habs beat the Leafs.

I'm the head bartender at the barley mow in westboro. If the habs are playing and the sens aren't, I'll put the habs in most tvs. And I'll even put the sound on for us after the first period once most diners have left ;)

Cool! I'm headed your way next time I'm in town.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Big rig is expensive AF though.

Go to Le Forum in Gatineau, you won't be dissapointed

Gateux... :laugh:

But for real its probably the best place to watch a game, their chicken wings are awesome.

Talk about disappointing places. There's a Vieux Duluth at about a 5 minutes drive of place and I avoid it with passion. Luckily there's also a good Greek place next door to my gym so I'm ok :laugh:. Casa Grecque painfully sucks.

There are some good plates on Montcalm in Hull.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
I can absolutely tell the difference : Le Vieux Duluth is significantly better :)

But yeah, it comes back to what I said earlier : Gatineau kinda sucks for specialities restaurant. You don't have to go full high-end to find a good place though. I mean... Ambrosia was ... absolutely awesome for what it was, that is, a Pasta Restaurant. Now, if you're expecting the pasta restaurant to be anything like l'Oree du Bois, I think we have an issue.

Now, if we could solve the issue about the curious lack of Indian Restaurants...

Don't worry, I don't expect an Italian restaurant to be like l'Oree dubois. Although I haven't experienced a really great Italian restaurant in Gatineau yet. There must be some but I haven't found any yet. I tried Vittoria Trattoria in the market a couple of weeks back. That place had great food.

Now having no proper Indian restaurant is a real shame. I love Indian food, so it's a good thing I live in Ottawa now. There's a lot of them here.

I also need to find somewhere that has decent coconut rice. I've had some in Woodstock and Ingersoll but can't find any around here.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Talk about disappointing places. There's a Vieux Duluth at about a 5 minutes drive of place and I avoid it with passion. Luckily there's also a good Greek place next door to my gym so I'm ok :laugh:. Casa Grecque painfully sucks.

There are some good plates on Montcalm in Hull.

Heh... Which Greek place? Looking for some "quick" thing mostly, when we're too much at the last hour to reserve at EVOO. Medzes was exactly that (not great at all, but really good for a spur-of-the-moment thing) before it closed.

Montcalm? BDT (noticeable improvement over the years in the kitchen, still have issues with non-german or ESB ales), Soif. Missing something?

Don't worry, I don't expect an Italian restaurant to be like l'Oree dubois. Although I haven't experienced a really great Italian restaurant in Gatineau yet. There must be some but I haven't found any yet. I tried Vittoria Trattoria in the market a couple of weeks back. That place had great food.

Now having no proper Indian restaurant is a real shame. I love Indian food, so it's a good thing I live in Ottawa now. There's a lot of them here.

I also need to find somewhere that has decent coconut rice. I've had some in Woodstock and Ingersoll but can't find any around here.

Actually, Ambrosia was.... again, very good for what it was (sadly closed though). Another italian is reopening at the same place however... And you didn't find another good italian restaurant in Gatineau, because there isn't one. The only other that could somehow have passed...

...was Naples Pizza for takeout pizza (but that one went up in flames, if you didn't know). Didn't care about the restaurant, but absolutely a go-to for takeout.

So yeah, the two closest thing to a decent italian restaurant (Pasta on premises/Takeout Pizza) closed, like, two months apart.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Well if you have the money and time, Westboro is the place to go in Ottawa for food.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc

I live 5 minutes from there... any specials for fellow HF habs posters?? :sarcasm:

Montcalm? BDT (noticeable improvement over the years in the kitchen, still have issues with non-german or ESB ales), Soif. Missing something?

I love Café Cognac on Montcalm, especially the all you can eat mussels on Thursdays.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Heh... Which Greek place? Looking for some "quick" thing mostly, when we're too much at the last hour to reserve at EVOO. Medzes was exactly that (not great at all, but really good for a spur-of-the-moment thing) before it closed.

Actually, Ambrosia was.... again, very good for what it was (sadly closed though). Another italian is reopening at the same place however... And you didn't find another good italian restaurant in Gatineau, because there isn't one. The only other that could somehow have passed...

...was Naples Pizza for takeout pizza (but that one went up in flames, if you didn't know). Didn't care about the restaurant, but absolutely a go-to for takeout.

So yeah, the two closest thing to a decent italian restaurant (Pasta on premises/Takeout Pizza) closed, like, two months apart.

When I was working at Portage, there was a Cafe Bacci that was actually very good. And it closed down. Naples is an okay place... or was I guess.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
I live 5 minutes from there... any specials for fellow HF habs posters?? :sarcasm:

I love Café Cognac on Montcalm, especially the all you can eat mussels on Thursdays.

Cafe Cognac is good. I do like that place. And never forget just across the street, la Taverne Montcalm with free beans on Fridays! haha! I used to work at the Cremazie Building, it was a classic.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

not much good greek in ottawa,but pylos on montreal is about the best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad