Speculation: Good news/bad news: 2020-21 Salary cap going up...or down

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
84.5M allows us to keep everyone except Stastny, makes Stastny very tradeable. We could give Lehner 7M. We would still have 4.75M to give to Stephenson and Cousins, 1M to Roy and 1M to Reaves. Whitecloud 1.25M and we have enough to carry extra players if they want and if they don't, extra cap going forward.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I'm not sure anyone picks up Stastny without retention....
They will 100% pick up him without any retention, they'll give us a good pick even.

I don't think Engelland will be back (retirement). Ambivalent about Reaves return. Lehner would be nice, but at what cost? Merrill probably not back. Nosek is about the only UFA guy I would like VGK to re-sign.

And how big a raise will those RFAs get?
Nosek is the one foward UFA I think we'll part with, don't see a future for him on the team. I doubt any of the RFAs will get significant raises, maybe a few 100k per guy, Stephenson maybe 1-1.5M.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I'm not sure anyone picks up Stastny without retention....

Jets, Sabres. Possibly Habs or Islanders could fit him in and could benefit from a top six center. They could re-sign him for cheaper if he fits in there and there are young centers he could mentor in three of those teams.

He is still a good player and 6.5M for your 2C should be within budget especially with a cap rise. Even a short term 2C solution for a 2nd and a prospect would be worth it to many GM's.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
They will 100% pick up him without any retention, they'll give us a good pick even.

Nosek is the one foward UFA I think we'll part with, don't see a future for him on the team. I doubt any of the RFAs will get significant raises, maybe a few 100k per guy, Stephenson maybe 1-1.5M.

Simply re-signing our RFA's and Reaves gives us 13 forwards (if you include Pirri, I'm not sure if he is required to be on the day 1 league roster) then we have one of Elvenes or Dugan for the last spot, or a plug if we want them in the AHL.

The defense looks set with Hague returning to the NHL and then goalie is hopefully set, I don't think I see us signing anyone other than depth forwards for extra and AHL.

I do think Nosek would need to find another team unless Reaves goes and he values stability and shows them he really wants to stay here.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
With our enviable expansion draft position,
There could be some pretty good players available in trade by teams looking for some extra room.

That’s said, if Lehner feels like Cegas is ok for him going forward to succeed in hockey and personally, I’d think keeping him (1a-1b). as Fleurys heir would be a pretty big pickup

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
With our enviable expansion draft position,
There could be some pretty good players available in trade by teams looking for some extra room.

That’s said, if Lehner feels like Cegas is ok for him going forward to succeed in hockey and personally, I’d think keeping him (1a-1b). as Fleurys heir would be a pretty big pickup

Cegas huh?

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I think we're real good now, we'll be even better next year with maturation of Glass, Hague, Whitecloud, possible additions of Elvenes et al. I think what could hurt us next year is poor goaltending - Fleury on downside, no real prospects in sight. We could look to someone like Markstrom, who had a breakout year (style-wise similar to Lehner), but he ain't cheap either. If Lehner would take like 6x5 and can handle Vegas psychologically, we ought to sign him to term.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Fleury hasn’t even been good THIS season, even earlier in the season before his father passed away. In the next 2 years he is going to be older and could easily decline even more.

If our plan is to pray that Fleury doesn’t look older, and hope he doesn’t get banged up despite probably overusing him again, that sounds riskier to me than keeping Lehner.

We don’t have anybody to replace Fleury if things go wrong. And with Lehner, he can fix a major issue this team has and keep the window open to compete for titles much longer.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Fleury hasn’t even been good THIS season, even earlier in the season before his father passed away. In the next 2 years he is going to be older and could easily decline even more.

If our plan is to pray that Fleury doesn’t look older, and hope he doesn’t get banged up despite probably overusing him again, that sounds riskier to me than keeping Lehner.

We don’t have anybody to replace Fleury if things go wrong. And with Lehner, he can fix a major issue this team has and keep the window open to compete for titles much longer.
Incorrect. Flower had a .919 sv% and was real good before his dad passed away. To say he wasn't playing well before his dad passed away is just plain wrong.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Incorrect. Flower had a .919 sv% and was real good before his dad passed away. To say he wasn't playing well before his dad passed away is just plain wrong.

It was that high? Seemed like he was getting lit up in November too much but that’s not many games so it looks like I was too harsh.

I still think pushing him really hard next season is a huge gamble though. We’ll probably be trying to contend as a 3rd place or a wild card team if the backup is questionable. Taking first would be really difficult with major goalie issues.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Scenario: Fleury’s not playing well in the playoffs and gets yanked for Lehner. He does well and let’s say gets the team to the third round. Do you offer him term and money and start shopping Fleury?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I think I would still budget for a 84.5M cap, as these projections seem high.
All depends on what the PA agrees with. Not sure how it works, but apparently higher cap will increase their escrow withholding, so it is expect to be on the lower end.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
All depends on what the PA agrees with. Not sure how it works, but apparently higher cap will increase their escrow withholding, so it is expect to be on the lower end.

An article in the Athletic says these numbers are impossible and that the cap is likely to be below even the low end of their numbers.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Not sure about that, it was the NHL that announced that range.

I would agree but he gave a pretty compelling argument the NHL could have the numbers wrong. I don't think the team should plan for over 84M, last summer they had a lot of moves to make to get compliant.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Scenario: Fleury’s not playing well in the playoffs and gets yanked for Lehner. He does well and let’s say gets the team to the third round. Do you offer him term and money and start shopping Fleury?

They should be doing that regardless. I doubt management has the balls to do it though. Too much of a fan favorite and too many casual fans.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
An article in the Athletic says these numbers are impossible and that the cap is likely to be below even the low end of their numbers.

The BOG projected an 84.5m cap back in September and those early predictions are usually accurate. December-April they start announcing pie in the sky numbers.

Like Mouser said I'm anticipating 84.5-85.5m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad